Gently Back Into the Water

by craig on July 18, 2013 8:18 am in Uncategorized

I had excellent news from my cardiologist yesterday.  Ready to think about other things now.  I am horrified by the continuing stream of “ royal” baby hype on television.  Truly pathetic – is this 1313 or 2013?  Who buys into this nonsense?

I thought the Lib Dem take on Trident missiles was hilarious.  This small group of islands does apparently need to retain the ability to wipe out one third of the urban population of humankind, as a defence against something undefined – possibly people we invade getting too annoyed about it - and  in order to increase our “influence” in the World.  As we plainly have less influence than the Germans, who don’t feel this need for the power of obliteration, I do not quite see how this works.  Nor do I see Pakistan, which does have nuclear weapons, as very influential.  Nor do I quite understand how our influence can be increased by possessing something  under effective American control.  But there you are.

Anyway, the Lib Dems have come to the intellectually scintillating conclusion that we do need this world shattering power, but we don’t need it on Wednesday or Thursday afternoons or on Saturday mornings, which will be cheaper.  Brilliant, and plainly does not dodge any big ethical or practical questions at all.

1 3 4 5

25 Jul, 2013 - 2:50 am

Sofia @ 12;42

Exelent Post…. What is it about this Crime Shielding word antisemite…

Sorry Jon i have to agree with Mackey’s thoughts on the wording of Cryptonym’s post. Please keep heart though. and keep up the good work

It seems we don’t care where the next Bloodbath will arise

Chossudovsky: They know in whose hands these weapons fall because al-Nusra is the only relevant military or entity, paramilitary entity in Syria, which is currently fighting government forces.

So, in effect, all or most of the military aid from US and allied forces including the United Kingdom is in fact channeled through the Supreme Military Council to al-Nusra. And I should mention also that al-Nusra is being trained in the use of chemical weapons and in fact that training is often entrusted to private security companies – in other words mercenary companies and British mercenary companies.

2. Blegburnduddoo

25 Jul, 2013 - 2:53 am

Thank you Sofia for the link at 12.53a.m. on 24 July.
    Truly haunting photo. Would make a wonderful poster.

3. “Good to see you back Mackey”

Thanks Sofia, but I’m still in the middle of an overseas holiday, however I’m getting so concerned at the nonsense that is going on here, that I’m having to fit in seeking WiFi connections between sight-seeing & beach times !

4. The Facebook page “I hate David Cameron” has been going a few months now so I am surprised that it only has 3,500 followers. Is somebody not on Facebook?

5. Flaming June

25 Jul, 2013 - 8:47 am

I had a lovely day in London if hot and tiring. Firstly a couple of hours at the National Gallery in the rooms that hold the works of the C14 Italian masters. So many different accounts of the Madonna and Child and so beautiful. A snack lunch in the crypt at St Martin’s in the Field opposite (recommended) and then a bus going nowhere up to King’s Cross. There is so much construction work taking place that the amount of traffic, which seems not to have been reduced one fraction by the congestion charge, crawls along.

The concert was held in King’s Place located in York Way adjacent to the Grand Union Canal at Battlebridge Basin. It is an amazing concept of a developer and was built on a derelict site. It opened in 2008. The design and build quality is high and innovative.

There are two concert halls and also art galleries in the basement and eight floors of office space above ground level where there is a café and restaurant. The Guardian occupy four floors, Network Rail, Veoilia and Wolverine (a US shoe and clothing company) the remainder. The public can use the large ground floor area as a walkway through to the canal towpath and the restaurant. There was a continual flow of people. The atrium is lofty with polished limestone floors, leather sofas, air conditioned – you get the picture – and it is maintained well. You can sit watching the Guardianistas at work in the floors above!

The area is undergoing a massive redevelopment. I counted eight tower cranes at work. Too much office space I thought. London is already overcrowded and thousands more people will be drawn in to work in them. Across the road from King’s Place is UAL Central St Martins in a converted Victorian granary and, in the revamped plaza at the front, there is one of those features where hundreds of kids were having a marvellous time in the dancing spouts of water. No 3 in this list

Not sure where all the money has been coming from but hey!

Anyway the concert was amazing. Five young Palestinians aged between 14 and 18 (piano, flute, cello, violin and viola) performed solos to a very high standard. They also played other pieces accompanied by other soloists and the Choir of London. Quite beautiful and also very moving considering that they have achieved so much and have overcome the daily difficulties of their lives.

‘Since 2003 it has toured four times to the Middle East, focused on the Occupied Palestinian Territories, engaging with over 1000 local and visiting musicians. It has performed over 80 concerts in the UK and internationally, raising awareness for its charitable vision. It has established a Bursary Scheme for the best young Palestinian musicians to experience musical life in the UK. And it has generated, stimulated and enabled cultural transformation in the areas where it has worked, contributing to a revolution in musical life in Palestine.’

The bonus – meeting them and others afterwards with a glass of wine or orange juice provided. The concert was free. I will be sending a donation to this worthwhile group.

6. would that be Norfolk Alpha papa Gravel, Komodo? shreaks…

(apologies for delay)

Lord, no. The man’s a national treasure…

7. Macky wrote:

Great minds discuss ideas,
    Average minds discuss events,
    Small minds discuss people.
    (Dedicated to all the Mary Bashers !)

8. “I see…. what does that say about you mate, given your comment was entirely about people?”

25 Jul, 2013 - 3:43 pm

Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)
    24 Jul, 2013 – 8:34 pm

“Because, unlike some here, I don’t try and ‘win’ a discussion by lying.”

I don’t think you’ve ever “won” a discussion here have you?

10. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

25 Jul, 2013 - 3:53 pm

@ Macky (15h37)

“A cheap empty comment that actually says rather a lot about you Glenn_uk, but do feel free you give yourself an ego boosting brownie point if you think you’ve exposed a great big nasty hypocrisy on my part.”
    ____________________-

No, Macky, it says a lot about you (and well done to Glenn for pointing it out).

11. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

25 Jul, 2013 - 3:58 pm

@ Doug Scorgie

“I don’t think you’ve ever “won” a discussion here have you?

Also you have yet to tell us who has been lying to try and “win” a discussion and what the lies are.”
    _________________-

1/. I’d say 95% of them. The proof being that my interlocutors either suddenly fall silent, or deviate from the subject, or resort to vulgar abuse.

2/. You would be rather high on any lying/dishonesty list. And you’re rather brazen with it.

25 Jul, 2013 - 4:16 pm

Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)
    24 Jul, 2013 – 9:31 pm

“ Anyway, someone seems to have changed his mind, because in your first post on the subject (23 July at 19h59) you quote Iranian Press TV as saying that Saudi Arabia offers $ 2 billions in “oil and gas products” and Kuwait offers $ 4 billions “to help the crashing economy back on its feet”.

They are supplying “aid” to a country without a civilian government ie a military dictatorship. It is the military junta that will control any foreign aid.

Surely you don’t believe that the “aid” (whether cash or oil) is a gift.

Also:
    @Doug Scorgie
    24 Jul, 2013 – 12:39 pm
    I said to you:

My point was rhetorical Habbabkuk and a cynical dismissal of those states claiming the “aid” is for the economic benefit of the people of Egypt.

I don’t believe dictatorships act for the benefit of others but perhaps you do; being that your beloved Israel prefers a dictatorship in Egypt so that they and the US can control it for their own ends; not for the benefit of Egyptian people.

13. Macky: Sorry if you feel stung by that one, but it was pretty obvious. You choose to present unsupported, smug little assertions, making unpleasant mass generalisations about the intelligence of posters. Sounds as if it’s clever (to some!), but actually isn’t – a point you illustrated rather well.

I hadn’t “exposed a great big nasty hypocrisy” on your part, but was rather expressing my surprise that you wanted to publicly define yourself in such an unflattering manner!

But don’t let it spoil your holiday. Pip pip, old boy! ;)

14. “It shows, for example, how stupid you are : you post a comment talking entirely about people and end it by saying that small minds talk about people.”

So there we have it, in the contra-reality & surreal world of Habby-Clown & Glen_uk, a comment posted in order to highlight the petty-mindedness of people who post just in order to snark another Poster, and posting just in order to snark another Poster, is one and the same thing !!

“You choose to present unsupported, smug little assertions, making unpleasant mass generalisations about the intelligence of posters. Sounds as if it’s clever (to some!), but actually isn’t – a point you illustrated rather well.”

“unsupported” only if you have never read most of the posts aimed at Mary emanating from the likes of Habby-Clown/Villager/”Sweet” Dreoilin/Jemand; as to “smug little assertions” & “unpleasant mass generalisations about the intelligence of posters”, yes they may indeed sound clever to some, but only to those with the capacity for honesty & perceptive intelligence, a point inadvertently illustrated by your good self !

Sorry guys, but logic doesn’t work like that, no wonder you both seem to have problems with rational debate, and undertanding real World issues.

15. Macky, you just made a fool of yourself. Stop wriggling around, man-up, and admit it.

16. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

25 Jul, 2013 - 5:09 pm

@ Doug Scorgie

“I haven’t changed my mind Habbabkuk; I was quoting Press TV which was reporting on announcements made by these wonderful dictatorships.”
    ______________

The fish took the bait :) . Should we therefore conclude that you know better than your source – ie, Press TV – the uses to which the aid will be put? Congratulations on your superioir xources of information, which I of course shan’t ask you to reveal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

“It is the military junta that will control any foreign aid.”
    _____________

Obviously, because the military junta is the govt at present. What does that say, though, about the use of the money?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Surely you don’t believe that the “aid” (whether cash or oil) is a gift.”
    ___________

Well, the source – ie Press TV – which you brought to our attention in your original post talks, in addition to oil and gas products, about cash deposits (which may be loans) and “grants”. In matters of international aid, grants are non-repayable and are therefore gifts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally :

“Also:
    @Doug Scorgie
    24 Jul, 2013 – 12:39 pm
    I said to you:

My point was rhetorical Habbabkuk…”
    ____________

Would you not agree that rational discussion on this blog would be better served by making fewer rhetorical and more substantive points? Just a thought, of course.

****************

Please don’t bother to reply, because I should not like this exchange to turn into an exercise in bickering. Thanks.

17. “Macky, you just made a fool of yourself. Stop wriggling around, man-up, and admit it.”

Ok, if you say so it must be true, even if it’s only true in your little surreal world !

(funny how the habby-clown also often uses the term to “man-up” when he has also run out of real arguments to make !)

25 Jul, 2013 - 6:28 pm

Habbakuk, have you watched To Shoot An Elephant yet?

19. Hello Jon,

Your direct reply is very much appreciated, thank you. You’re doing a sterling job at keeping it usable, and are under no obligations to answer to the likes of me.

Desperate though it may be, you are not responsible for the actions of others. If someone is bullied off the board, it’s reprehensible. But how seriously they take that to be in their real, day-to-say lives, is not your responsibility.

To illustrate: If a help-line attracts fragile, desperate people, maybe they can be be aided through their distress. Very sadly, maybe not successfully all the time.

But a hard-core political blog is not a help-line, and not the place to show or expect special consideration for this sort of delicate sensibility. CM’s site is clearly not the place for someone (a) unable to deal with harsh realities, and (b) unable to deal with opposing views, often put strongly and quite unkindly.

Therefore, interacting on CM’s blog is not wise if one has an inability to cope with these demands. And if they cannot, that is not your fault, your problem, or indeed your place to shield them from the burden of engaging here.

True, I’ve been out of the picture for a good couple of months, and I may have overgeneralised. Hopefully, it doesn’t look that my entire whinge is saying, “you suck” – I’ve stated a number of times that the spam, drunks, etc. would have entirely overrun the blog without your laudable efforts. It doesn’t appear that you’re entirely partisan either.

About Crypto’s comment – if a post is so out of line that it’s going to attract libel, or other trouble for the blog host, that might be a reason to remove the comment. If (say) it called on people to commit criminal acts, or betrayed access information to someone’s systems, sure – that’s out of line. Airing the view that some mumbo-jumbo delusion is insane, sexist, or indeed “a seedy sick cult” should not cause the same reaction. It’s just a view, and he’s entitled to make it. I feel entitled to read it. I do not need to be protected from it, and anyone who does should not be reading blog comments here.

Do you think America’s First Amendment right to free speech is a good thing, and if not why not? Applied here, it wouldn’t mean that this blog is obliged to carry someone else’s views, of course. But if free speech as a principle is the order of the day (which I believe CM has stated in the past), it is fundamentally at odds with the line-item editing that has taken place here.

You say CM is disinclined to prove what you have suggested – so “we” are on “our” own. That would be the Royal “We”, I take it? Because it’s not “we”, it’s your good self only. It also looks like you’re saying we must either have your moderation/ censorship in its entirety, or have no protection from trolls whatsoever.

Memory being what it is, people seem to think that there was a great golden age – even here – not long back, before this or that came along and spoiled everything. Truth of the matter is there always have been awkward elements. But at least we didn’t have censorship. For all the gains from your considerable efforts, IMHO that censorship has rather taken us away from the principles of free speech I believe ought to operate here.

Thanks.

26 Jul, 2013 - 9:06 pm

Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)
    25 Jul, 2013 – 5:09 pm

“Would you not agree that rational discussion on this blog would be better served by making fewer rhetorical and more substantive points?”

Habbabkuk, I don’t think you know what rhetorical means nor do I believe that you have made many (if any) substantive points when you post here.

A rational discussion with you Habbabkuk is an impossibility; not because you are stupid but because, as with all Zionist supporters, a rational discussion is the last thing you want.

When putting points of view forward your opinions must be supported; you should produce your evidence and explain why this evidence supports your point of view; if used, you should always quote sources and give references.

End of lesson.

21. Glenn_uk, you made a cogent and convincing argument that was rudely undermined by the snide comment that immediately followed. Pity.

@Jon

Have you thought of a more simple policy in which only the latest post by Craig is heavily moderated while it is current? Or only the first N pages?

22. Will they be available on bank holidays? :)

23. your spam filter sums are really hard, what happens if we get it wrong? my mums expecting me home for my tea :(