Reply To: New theme planned for the blog and possible use of CDN

Latest News Forums Site technical issues and feedback New theme planned for the blog and possible use of CDN Reply To: New theme planned for the blog and possible use of CDN

glenn_uk

‘Strewth, what’s happened? I go travelling for a week or so, and the site’s gone to the dogs!

Or at least, gone – as in the case of the BBC – “Hideously White”.

To call this “responsive” is rather a euphemism. It’s not “responsive” at all, it simply is geared to tiny little screens. Anyone using a decent sized screen (as God intended) is faced with a massive glare of overly white blank space, and tiny little lettering making up the content, occupying a puzzlingly small space.

Would anyone like to read a newspaper or a book with such glaringly (literally) inefficient use of space, yet requiring so much effort to read tiny font? Surely a major point in communications is clarity, and making the other struggle to understand you is to be avoided. This requires so much more effort than the old layout, that time spent here is going to be less appealing. Perhaps that was the plan all along.

FWIW, I agree entirely with Pan’s apparently well informed views on all this, particularly in regard to orange-on-white. I’m always sorry to see retrograde “upgrades”, but imposing irritatingly small text is a curious “upgrade” indeed.