We should drive it to extinction, but we can’t, because we lack the necessary unity.
The human species has achieved a kind of global dominance; we are the dominant form of life on this planet. Genesis 1:26-31:
– 26: And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
– 27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
– 28: And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
– 29: And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
– 30: And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
– 31: And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
And indeed “it was so”, and in supreme irony, collective, systematised rationality and objectivity did more to achieve it than anything else.
But we’re incapable of coherent action as a species. As individuals, we’re so busy deceiving each other for individual advantage that no one trusts anything anyone says, making united action unachievable for us.
SARS_CoV-2 won’t wipe us out but a more lethal virus could, and unless we learn the lesson SARS-CoV-2 carries, global warming and mass extinction will make our civilisation a victim of our own success.
- This reply was modified 5 months ago by modbot.