Reply To: Russia. People from the 90s, tell us what it was like, really?

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Russia. People from the 90s, tell us what it was like, really? Reply To: Russia. People from the 90s, tell us what it was like, really?

Tatyana

Thanks, Derek.
In that discussion I wrote about the laws from 1991, that let Crimean Tatars to return. I considered it very important, because my own experience differs greatly from Mr. Murray’s.

I live very near the Crimea, back in 1995-2000 I had a friend who lived in Kerch – the city in the Crimean peninsula. I know for sure there were TV and radio in Tatar language there, because we were linguist students and we discussed with my friend the Tatar language plural grammar forms. Tatar TV and radio provided samples for our modest linguistic research.

Mr. Murray claims Tatars were never compensated. I think that misunderstanding happens because Mr. Murray speaks of his Uzbeki Tatar friends, those who didn’t return.

Uzbeki Tatar diaspora leader made an interview, I translated it:

Indigenous Eurasian Islamic Populations

As you see, some found new home and have no desire to return. Some believe it’s hard task to return. Anyway, Uzbeki Tatars are NOT all the Crimean Tatars.
e.g. Lenur Islamov, who started in ’80s in Uzbekistan. By today he owns a couple of banks, a couple of transport companies and an Apple retail network and a TV channel in the Crimea. Not bad, eh?

He is russian citizen by the way, but he wants the Crimea to return to Ukraine. I can understand his opinion, but I don’t approve his methods, like blocking the railway or damage to electric poles *Tatar Majlis tried to arrange a blockade, Turkey helped with money and military aid*
there’s his interview on this, in russian
https://www.rbc.ru/politics/26/12/2015/567e27549a7947fad9230fad