Reply To: Conspiracy Theorists, Why is Westminster Lifting All COVID Restrictions?

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Conspiracy Theorists, Why is Westminster Lifting All COVID Restrictions? Reply To: Conspiracy Theorists, Why is Westminster Lifting All COVID Restrictions?

ET

“Why is Poland doing so much better than other countries.”

Timelines Michael, Peaks occur at different times in diffferent places. I’m not sure they are doing so much better but rather they haven’t been hit with a wave yet. They have approx 50% vaccinated and of their current cases in the 200s 80% are delta variant. The previous waves in Poland happened a little later than they did in UK and hit them hard.

Michael, please take the time to look at the timelines in the graphs at https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus. Pick whatever metric you want and whatever countries you want to compare. There is really no validity in looking at figures for a point in time and stating one country is doing better than another.

Spain’s case numbers have peaked and are falling now as have Portugal and Netherlands. Spain now has a higher percentage of people vaccinated than UK. Germany and Poland seem to be approx at the same point in any wave that might or might not happen there.

“I know there were some on here who gave the impression that sharp lock-downs would put covid in its place, “

I agree with Clark, if they had done so at the beginning in every country it could have been snuffed out quickly. It stll could if there was political will. Where I don’t agree with Clark is that I don’t think there will ever be such political will (short of an apocalyptic mortality). So vaccination or letting it rip through populations is the corner we have backed ourselves into at great cost. Enourmous amounts of money and resource have been sunk into vaccines and that may need to continue for a long time if not forever. When the first wave hit on the IOM after six weeks lockdown and border closure we had zero cases for 6 months and no lockdown during that period. If every country had done so we would have cleared the virus in six weeks. It could still be done but it won’t be. If the vaccination strategy fails through emerging variants, which is entirely possible, we are back to the beginning.