Media Freedom

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Media Freedom

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tatyana

Monday evening we had a new scandal, this time it is Georgia, a young democracy with her media freedom. I’m leaving it here for those who understand russian

#45363 Reply
    Tatyana

I apologize to all of you, I’m just translating!
    Georgy Gabunia says he is a TV host of the main georgian tv channel Rustavi-2

“I want to send my greetings to our friend, the Russian President Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin. Vovochka, you’re a bitch, a dog’s shit, a walrus’s p*ssy, on our beautiful earth there is no place for such a pathetic creature, such an ugly as you. You’re a stinking invader. F*ck you, Volodya. F*ck you and your slaves. I f*cked your mother. Oh, your mother’s dead. Oh, it’s a pity, don’t tell me. May she burn in hell with you and your father. I shit on your grave. Amen.”

The director of the channel says he don’t approve using the obscene words, but in general he agrees with the position.

#45364 Reply
    Tatyana

Georgian prime minister and president said that this is a provocation to destabilise russian-georgian relations. The channel is the opposition’s channel.

#45371 Reply
    Tatyana

@moderator, can you kindly change the title for “Media Freedom”, please. I think it is too bad worded and too emotional now, I’m sorry.

#45389 Reply
    pete

Thanks for the link Tatyana, I managed to download the full clip from YouTube, it’s just over 3 and a half minutes long, I presume the rest of the clip is on matter not entirely related to the portion you have shown. I have screen printed the subtitles so that I can look in detail as to what was said, but I assume how you translated it keeps to the spirit of what was uttered.
    It is, of course propaganda, part of a war of words between two states with conflicting claims, I assume it is meant to provoke outrage on the other side of the argument. These kind of personal attacks are part and parcel of these kinds of conflicts, in the UK we have seen this sort of thing during what was tastefully called the ‘troubles’ in northern Ireland because it was not quite a civil war, but no less savage in parts.
    The situation in the Ukraine is serious but I can’t believe either side seriously wants to escalate it further. I can’t help but feel sympathy for those people caught up in the conflict zones. At some point they will have to talk to one another, in the meantime people will continue to be killed when hostilities break out.
    Thanks for advising us of this matter, otherwise we rarely get to hear about these things, our news is almost totally parochial and fairly useless. You provide an important link to a country much maligned here.

#45394 Reply
    Tatyana

thanks for your comment, pete
    After anti-russian and anti-government protests in the streets of Georgia, we stopped air traffic to the country. And now this insulting video just made it worse.
    Georgia says that Russia is agressor and occupant. The root of the claim is Osetia and Abkhazia, who want to be independent countries after USSR and Russia recognises them and support. On the other hand is Georgia, that claims Osetia and Abkhazia to be georgian territory, and Georgia is supported by USA.

#45399 Reply
    pete

My bad, I assumed it was Ukraine that was doing the insulting, not Georgia. These buffer zones between countries frequently have a mix of nationalities, like the linguistic divide between the French and Dutch in Belgium. I remember being stopped on the outskirts of Brussels by a student speaking bad French to get directions, my partner speaking French but switching to Dutch on realising the problem and explaining the solution. Not understanding either of them I had to ask in English what it was all about, compounding the confusion. I am so jealous of people who have a grasp of more than one language.
    Needless to say the French speakers and Dutch speakers in Belgium are notoriously hostile to one another. My understanding is that, as in the Catalan area in Spain, rival economic groups are at the heart of the independence struggle.
    I have seen a documentary about the problems in Osetia and while I do not grasp the subtlety of the rival fraction claims I would guess money, land or resources are at the root of matters. Mr Putin seems to have responded to the insults in an adult matter, whether the rogue reporter you posted about will have an ‘accident’ at some point, who can say. Given his intemperate language I can’t say it will be much of a loss to humanity, just my point of view.

#45400 Reply
    Tatyana

Ah, nevermind, the same we’ve seen from ukraine, easy to take one for another. Babchenko the Resurrected moking over the russians killed in plane crush. Farion the Witch praising ukrainians for burning russians alive in Odessa.
    The world has gone crazy.

Yes, Putin refused to sanction Georgia, yet he said it’s “too much honour” to open a case against that young scum.

Nevertheless, I’ll be not surprised if he would have been found dead some day. Many people say that he disgraced himself and the whole georgian nation.
    I agree, I could never imagine it is possible. Georgians as other people of Caucasus were known by their hospitality and dignity even to their enemies, ‘honour code’ we say in Russia.

#45413 Reply
    Tatyana

Phil Espin shares the link with Putin’s interview on the case

Kim Darroch – the Simple Explanation

the link itself
    http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/60962

I must say, opinions in the russian social networks are opposite to Putin’s. Many say it must be not tolerated, and I agree, too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Media Freedom
Your information: