Proof of remittance

Latest News Forums Site technical issues and feedback Proof of remittance

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Subin

I wonder whether it may be advisable to invite donors to send you proof of remittance? so that you know that all donations are received. I tried to make a direct payment to Craig’s bank account earlier in the week through Lloyds online banking, and after setting up the transfer account and approving the payment the browser crashed within seconds of completion – after which my account was inaccessible for 24 hours, and resistant to normal methods of resuscitation, until it miraculously worked again and had no trace of payee or payment. This could be coincidence but could also be deterrence… and it occurs to me to wonder whether all donations through the banking system are likely to reach you. International payments are in any case no longer as reliable and trustworthy as they used to be, and in the last few years my company has found it necessary to start checking receipt of every payment.

#50471 Reply
    Ian Stevenson

I tried to make a small donation yesterday through my Barclays on-line account and i got the message I had entered the wrong numbers. I tried again and got the same message.I did check very carefully and they matched the numbers on Craig’s website.
    As I was feeling a bit under the weather i decided to try another day and that i had made an error.

I will try again over the weekend,

#50478 Reply
    Subin

After access to my Lloyds bank account was restored, I succeeded in sending a small donation to Craig’s NatWest account listed on the website. The transfer seems to be based purely on the numerical details, with no confirmation from the bank that there’s a match with the name (some countries are better at this). It’s probably fine, but I have had a number of minor incidents previously unexperienced with my (quite new) computers and browsers, and there are now various questions in my mind, perhaps worth discussing with tech-savvy supporters:

1. Is the webpage safe from tampering, so that the account details displayed will always be those which were posted?
    2. Are all of the donations made successfully reaching the beneficiary? Is there any possibility of siphoning? Would it be advisable to start checking this, by asking donors to send details of payments?
    3. Are other donors experiencing problems in making payments, or after contact? Would it be advisable to request feedback on problems, in case patterns emerge, or significant numbers of potential donors and commenters are being deterred?
    4. Some readers have expressed concern about PayPal, or requested bank details in order to avoid its charges. How significant are those charges? and which method is more secure, for Craig and for donors? Any other advice on methodology?

Thanks so much to Craig and to the moderators for the invaluable commentary and discussion on this site.

#71170 Reply
    Subin

Just sent contribution to legal defence fund via bank transfer, and again the whole browser crashed followed by the whole computer system. Many other bank transfers made during the year, and several others today; is it a coincidence that the only two crashes in 15 months are associated with two transfers to Craig’s account? Could some of the money be siphoned off, since no receipts are provided, or supporter contact details collected? I am not sure how this could be investigated, but it is only the enormity of the current injustice that has persuaded me to make another substantial contribution without any assurance that these matters are even being considered. I am aware that tampering with bank payments and harassing/warning supporters would both have sounded unlikely a few years ago, but surely recent experience should encourage us to consider such possibilities. May I please repeat the suggestion of (1) receipts, to reassure donors, and/or (2) asking donors to send proof of payment, so that Craig can check (or spotcheck) that all amounts sent have been received.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Proof of remittance
Your information: