Recent Posts not updated

Latest News Forums Site technical issues and feedback Recent Posts not updated

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Clark

This is just for info, not a complaint.

I just opened the 9/11 Post, and noticed that the top entry on the Recent Posts list at the bottom of comment page 111 is “That Critical Threat”, though the current newest post is “Those Theresa May Police Cuts”. I tried refreshing the page by clicking the browser’s whirligig, but it came back the same. I checked the latest post and the home page, and their lists were both up to date.

I assume it’s a caching issue. It presumably isn’t at my end since it was the first time I’d loaded of the 9/11 Post since opening my browser, which I have set to clear the cache, and I had to wait for the page to be served.

Comment page 112 displays an up to date list, but clicking the link for comment page 111 gets me the old list again. It also gets me an old Recent Comments list in the sidebar. My own comment posted at 02:07 this morning is at the top of that list; that’s over eighteen hours ago!

Note to self; don’t trust that lists on previous comment pages are up to date.

#35880 Reply
    Squonk

That’s the documented and expected behaviour of WordPress cache plugins. Caching wouldn’t really work if you had to clear the cache of every single page when a comment was made on any thread anywhere. Only the main front page and the post pages the comment was made on get updated per comment and you only get the cached pages if you don’t have a comment cookie set in any case.

Stale pages do eventually time out of the cache and recent post threads get expired faster. The cache lifetime is a site settable parameter.

#35881 Reply
    Squonk

There is a way around this by installing Disqus based comments and firing its javascript recent comments widget at you from the cached page to dynamically generate the list but I don’t think you’d see that as an improvement!

#35882 Reply
    Clark

You’re quite right; the less Javascript the better as far as I’m concerned, and no need to involve Disqus.

I’m glad to hear that the behaviour is documented; very reassuring. I just thought I’d mention it as I hadn’t noticed it before and thought it could be an anomaly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Recent Posts not updated
Your information: