Why is the website giving space to notorious antivaxxers.

Latest News Forums Site technical issues and feedback Why is the website giving space to notorious antivaxxers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SA

In a separate discussion an anti vaccine discussion is being promoted. I think The main poster is getting help and direct access to this website from the originators of the anti vaccine hoax. I think this is dangerous for many reasons and my personal feeling is that this is damaging to the reputation of this website.

#55075 Reply
    Clark

SA, that forum was started specifically as a place to move that discussion as it was off-topic in its original location upon an unrelated thread.

Personally I think that suppressing the discussion would be counter-productive, and the quality of counter-argument is very good. You have also elsewhere linked to an article showing that the anti-vax movement is in decline, not attracting new members, and that decreasing vaccination rates are driven mostly by the economic pressures of neoliberalism upon overworked and underpaid parents.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/childhood-inoculation-rates-are-falling-but-are-anti-vaccine-campaigns-really-to-blame-anti-vaxxers-measles-medicine-health

“Some of those opposed to vaccination share an old-school, hippieish worldview—science bad, nature good. Others worry about possible side effects. Both groups question the safety of vaccines by focusing on ingredients and the harms that might possibly result. If more and more parents were coming to share these beliefs, you would surely be able to track that. But the Vaccine Confidence Project, a research group that monitors views on the safety, efficacy and importance of immunisation, has found exactly the opposite. Between 2016 and 2018—during which time vaccine uptake for children fell across most immunisations—the proportion of Britons who strongly agreed that vaccines were safe actually increased, from 41 per cent to 47 per cent. The number who strongly disagreed shrank from 2.8 per cent to 1.5 per cent.”

Paul does actually get out on the streets, and has supported Craig’s campaigns with practical action for well over a decade. I’d rather the argument wasn’t costing me so much time and effort, but discussion are what the forums are for.

#55078 Reply
    SA

Clark
    I am not wishing to suppress discussion, but this is not discussion, it is as you call it evangelism and I call it propaganda. What I am worried about now is that the poster is constantly getting some input from sources in the movement to answer our posts. I cannot prove this but I have a feeling and therefore I feel as if for example this forum is now acting as a direct conduit for the antivaxxers to post on this website. This coupled with the fact that the poster also bombards us with ready made discussions on multiple subjects, and evades answering posts makes me feel that this is the case. He has also done this with you.
    The purpose of such discussions should be to debate hopefully fruitfully, but this childish way of debate is damaging and futile.

#55134 Reply
    SA

Clark
    You are wasting your time. The antivaxxer you are discussing with is not genuinely interested in honest discussion. What you are doing is just keeping a conspiracy thread alive for antivaxxers to have a forum for spreading their propaganda. Note the pseudo scientific language used. What do they say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? (With sincere apologies).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Why is the website giving space to notorious antivaxxers.
Your information: