Italics etc on here

Latest News Forums Site technical issues and feedback Italics etc on here

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John Spencer-Davis

Hi Mods, please could you let me know if italics, bold etc are still done in the same way (eg ) and if so where is the protocol shown? Thanks, John

#33607 Reply
    Darth
    Keymaster

Yes it should be the same as before. If you notice the basic codes are shown when posting in the forum here but not when commenting on posts. It is supposed to be displayed on posts and I’m not sure why it isn’t.

Remove space after “<" below.
    < strong>bold< /strong>

< em>italics< /em>

bold
    italics

< b>< /b>
    < i >< /i>

Should also work. A complete list of the standard WordPress allowed html at https://en.support.wordpress.com/code/

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Darth.
    #33615 Reply
    michael bojko

hi,

message for john spencer-davis

sorry but although i’ve been reading the blog for some years now, i’ve never contributed and don’t know how to.

however i’ve been folloswing the exchange between “john spencer-davis” and “jim” regarding pol pot.

could john spencer-davis pm me?

i think i have some info that he’d find useful

thanks

mike

#33618 Reply
    Darth
    Keymaster

Sorry, we don’t have any pm facilities on the blog – users don’t register. However if both parties agree then moderators can pass on email addressees.

#33626 Reply
    John Spencer-Davis

Darth, thank you very much, that is very helpful. John

#33627 Reply
    John Spencer-Davis

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your kind offer, very much appreciated. It is nice to know that people do actually read what is written on here. You sound like your contributions would be valuable, and I am sure that Darth would guide you through the process if necessary.

If you don’t mind: I am currently preparing a response to Jim, and I already had plenty of source material to assist me, and have discovered more by my own efforts. I’m most grateful for the offer, but would prefer to say that I had done it all on my own account up to now. If, when my response is posted, you know of additional supporting material (or, indeed, refuting material – I never have any objection to the truth), I would welcome it privately, or, possibly more appropriately, contributed for the benefit of all on the forum.

Thank you anyway, and I wish you well.

Darth, for the reasons given above, I do not give my agreement to you passing on my email address at this time. Thank you.

#33649 Reply
    Phil the ex frog

Some context: ‘i’ is old web. ’em’ and ‘blockquote’ (along with lots of other tags) are part of a newer version of web mark up (HTML5).

‘i’ (an abbreviation of italics) just says ‘make this display differently’ which is useful for humans reading the text.

Whereas ’em’ and ‘blockquote’ provide the possibility to make the text look different to humans but also attempt to describe the text (to applications that read it). i.e. They attempt to explain why some text is different from other. Some text needs emphasizing. Some words are a quote.

These new tags are an attempt to better organize data and move towards data that can be better processed by machines.

#33676 Reply
    John Spencer-Davis

Darth, you may pass my e-mail details to Mike Bojko if you wish to now. Many thanks.

#33918 Reply
    YouKnowMyName

I just noticed that when I posted a rant about eurovision where Greece and Cyprus was in BOLD “< strong> greece & cyprus < /strong> – that it was in BOLD when I checked my posting using Safari Version 9.1.1 , but the two countries were NOT in BOLD when I checked the post on Chrome Version 51.0.2704.63 (64-bit).

I checked on Webkit mobile Safari and it shows the relevant countries in BOLD there too, though quite a feint BOLD.

I, Daniel Blake

seems like it is just a hiccup with Chrome on Desktop, as my mobile Chrome renders the bold correctly

I’ll stick some more tests

in here
      in case it’s
  • all of wordprex
  • broken?

#33919 Reply
YouKnowMyName

I put a URL of my actual comment

https:// http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2016/05/i-daniel-blake/comment-page-4/ #comment-600039

and instead of the url, it ‘helpfully’ embedded the whole blog article, so I put the url above – with a couple of spaces

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Italics etc on here
Your information: