Reply To: Elections aftermath

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Elections aftermath Reply To: Elections aftermath

Kim Sanders-Fisher

At first I was looking on the Electoral Commission Website but then I discovered the information here on the House on Commons Website:
General Election 2019: full results and analysis
Published Thursday, December 19, 2019.

Commons Briefing papers CBP-8749
Authors: Elise Uberoi; Carl Baker; Richard Cracknell
This paper will be updated with further analysis in 2020.
Further election articles are available on the Commons Library website.
This includes a Dashboard showing election results by constituency.

Commons Briefing papers page contains the following files to download:
Topics: Election results : UK, Elections, General elections, House of Commons, Parliament, Political parties
Download the full report
General Election 2019: results and analysis ( PDF, 17.62 MB)
Supporting documents
HoC-GE2019-results-by-candidate (Excel Spreadsheet, 512.18 KB)
HoC-GE2019-by-constituency (Excel Spreadsheet, 125.79 KB)

Despite the cold and rain of winter, given the copious photographic evidence of unusually long lines of people waiting to cast their vote, perhaps the most incomprehensible piece of information presented was this:
“Turnout was 67.3%, down from 68.8% in 2017. The total registered electorate was 47.6 million, up from 46.8 million in 2017”.
If the claimed low turnout in your area does not anyway near match your personal experience on the day or the photos you might have taken while waiting in line, please let us know as this is just one of many anomalies that must be taken seriously. There was a massive voter registration drive before both the 2017 election and prior to this latest election, so why were many eager to register, but disinclined to vote? This makes no sense.

For comparison of relevant data results for the 2017 General Election:
General Election 2017: full results and analysis
Published Tuesday, January 29, 2019
(Not sure if they waited until 2019 to print the report or if this was a typo on the site?)

I hope this will help you to draw conclusions about the results. To me the data raises more questions than answers. One issue was the claimed lower voter turnout than in the 2017 election despite extraordinarily long lines waiting to vote but, there were other things that do not make sense. If you have any thoughts after reviewing the results please return to share them with us on this forum.