Reply To: SARS cov2 and Covid 19

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum SARS cov2 and Covid 19 Reply To: SARS cov2 and Covid 19

ET

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/03/it-makes-me-want-to-cry-voices-of-hospital-staff-on-the-covid-frontline

Another piece from The Guardian with testimony from docs and nurses.

“Oxygen for patients has already been limited because the hospital’s supply system was approaching the point where it would shut down. “We have the oxygen to give everybody, but we don’t have the delivery system. The system would crash if too many people were sucking in oxygen in a high concentration,”

That struck me. There is enough oxygen in the storage tanks but with so many needing high concentration oxygen the in-built delivery systems, those outlets above every bed, are insufficient for that many patients. I guess every hospital’s oxygen delivery system has a finite number of patients it can deliver it to before it goes beyond it’s operating parameters. I have never seen that happen nor heard of it happening.

The nurse in this piece has elsewhere being criticised by paediatric doctors for overstating the paediatric problem so it is hard to be sure of what that situation is, for now.