Reply To: Why is Labour doing so badly despite Tory sleaze and mismanagement?

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Why is Labour doing so badly despite Tory sleaze and mismanagement? Reply To: Why is Labour doing so badly despite Tory sleaze and mismanagement?

ET

Though I lived and voted in the UK for many years I no longer do and therefore don’t vote in UK elections. I have siblings who still do. In a recent discussion with some of my siblings: “I don’t like Jeremy Corbyn.” “Why?” “I just don’t like him.” “But why, give me a characteristic or policy you don’t like?” “I can’t give you an example but I just don’t like him and he is unelectable.” Jeremy Corbyn is possibly one of the most inoffensive politicians ever to have existed but yet otherwise normal people don’t like him for reasons they cannot elucidate.

Contrast with Boris Johnson. I list the horrific stewardship of the pandemic, the slew of sleaze allegations, the contemptable waste of tax payer’s money on his mates. “Ah, but I have a soft spot for Boris, I still kind of like him.” “What? Why? What do you like about him?” I press harder for more details and the discussion descends into acrimony.

I don’t know why people cannot objectively assess but that there is the problem. I suspect that it is largely driven by the media platforms, all of them both old and new. It’s not just a fight for the labour party. It’s a fight for the objectivity of humanity and we are losing that fight. I don’t know how we can swing the balance so objectivity is winning.