Corona virus: Government takes the St Augustine approach.

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Corona virus: Government takes the St Augustine approach.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    michael norton

It is being said this morning that the U.K. is soaring away from Japan.
      We now have three times as many positive cases as is currently being claimed for Japan.

China now claims almost no new cases unless it is from people moving in to China.
      As British Universities are soon to shut at least untill October, the thousands of Chinese students in the U.K. will move back to China and re-infect the Chinese populace.

#50982 Reply
      SA

Still no intention for extending testing by our government and it seems health workers with symptoms not being tested.

#50991 Reply
        Uta Korner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnlT3rPNUp0

A German doctor explains how Corona testing and statistics lack validation. Without scientific transparency and academic peer review, political measures are inappropriate and more dangerous than flu. Not Corona is new, but Corona testing. It is not even peer reviewed.

#50997 Reply
          SA

This doctor although qualified has actually been a politician for many years. Check his Wikipedia page. He is not active in this field so what he says is his personal opinion which goes against many expert opinion.

#51014 Reply
            michael norton

I doubt many people are that bothered about Global Warming, this year.
              If you will last the year because of Pandemic, is pretty well the main concern, these days, that and Great Depression Two.

COP26 Glasgow – United Nations Climate Change Conference

If Glastonbury and Wimbledon, and Ascot are cancelled, I can not see the Global Warning Conference, still going ahead, this year, in Scotland.
              It has already been said that the atmosphere is improving as less people go to work or go on holiday by airliners.

#51016 Reply
              SA

If human activity is damaging the planet then reduction in human activity can heal the planet.
                But the climate change conference can proceed as a virtual conference sending a strong message that it is only by changing our behaviour that things can change.

#51017 Reply
                michael norton

Well, if we are all on lock-down for six months, I can’t see how the economy is going to keep its head above water, we import most of our food, this will dry up, then the fear will really to start to rage.
                  Nothing worse than a pandemic lack of food to let it rip.

#51022 Reply
                  SA

Brexit come early with a vengence

#51024 Reply
                    michael norton

Now they are saying pubs and cafe and theatre and strip clubs and music halls have to close after tonight.
                      This is like the end of the World.
                      Worse crisis since the Spanish Flu.

#51052 Reply
                      Rhys Jaggar

Well that is due to all the female hormone analogues as food additives, not to mention all the unknown effects of over-vaccination of young kids.

#51053 Reply
                        Rhys Jaggar

There is a false belief that expressing certainty shows ‘leadership’ to the panicking masses.

Far better to show profound realism, including expressing the uncertainties.

But I never did fit into Britain, a total do-as-you-are-told top down culture.

#51054 Reply
                          Rhys Jaggar

This whole argument is nonsense because your mortality rates are nonsense.

The mortality rates are of ‘those who presented with disease’, which is a small percentage of those infected.

Divide by at least 5 to get a worst case scenario of 250,000.

Alternatively, look at actual disease evolution in China and South Korea.

You might become more realistic.

#51055 Reply
                            SA

Some parts of the population still haven’t got it. Panic buying is still happening and some people still are not staying at home, even though there is less and less to go out to.
                              This is a very good article by a junior NHS doctor describing what it is like at the coalface:

I’m a junior doctor, in my second year of work. As luck would have it, Covid-19 has caught me in my A&E rotation at a busy central London hospital.
                              As the pandemic began to develop, we would receive daily guidance from Public Health England (PHE) on whom we should swab and what kind of isolation advice to give. Initially, we were swabbing people with significant travel history and respiratory symptoms. The numbers climbed: 20, 30, 150, 450, 1,000 … By 10 March, the reality of community transmissions was apparent. The question of travel history became irrelevant. Now, we only swab people sick enough to come into hospital, which means we’ll have a falsely low number of confirmed cases. Meanwhile, the government continues to downgrade the quality of personal protective equipment (PPE) worn by NHS staff. Initially, we were wearing FFP3s, high-grade masks filtering out 99% of particles smaller than 0.6 microns, to see any patient with suspected Covid-19. Pretty quickly, demand exceeded supply. Suddenly, entire wards were set up purely for Covid-19 patients. On 11 March, we were informed there wasn’t sufficient evidence supporting the wearing of FFP3s. Instead, PHE advised “basic respiratory precautions”, like with flu. Now we are wearing the most basic surgical masks and a tissue-thin plastic apron to see entire wards of confirmed cases.

It is worth reading the rest of the article. So the government had about a month’s warning to to make the necessary provisions and plan, including co-ordination with supermarkets and suppliers of vital NHS protective equipment, and had 4 years to plan for the 10,000 shortage of NHS doctors and 40,000 nurses and wasted it all on talking but not planning for Brexit and what it will mean

The strain that Covid-19 is placing on the healthcare system is immense. All elective surgeries have been cancelled. Doctors are being moved to high-pressure areas such as A&E and general medicine. Anyone with experience of ICU and intubation is being redeployed back to ICU, where it is anticipated the numbers requiring ventilation will rise sharply over the next week. The government is frantically trying to source more ventilators. The problem is that even with more ventilators, we need staff trained to operate them and look after ventilated patients. A tall order, given the NHS in England is short of 10,000 doctors and 40,000 nurses.

The global toll of Covid-19 is accelerating, and whereas China has now got on top of the epidemic, for now, Europe and US have accelerated and it seems that the number of cases in Italy, with a fraction of the population of china may soon overtake the number of cases. This stands at 53,000 for Italy with 4,825 deaths and 26,747 for US. Although we are lagging behind in UK with just over 5,000 cases, experience shows that in two weeks we will probably have more than a quadruple of the number, even though the NHS is already creaking under the strain.

But sadly there is still a lot of misinformation. The Moon of Alabama have been a good website to follow for updates on the virus, its spread and the reactions to the spread especially in Europe and US. Some readers tried to hijack the narrative with conspiracy theories, such as that the virus is man made, which has been debunked, but also in trying to blame China for either the spread of the virus or for slow reaction, which was not the case.
                              But some supposedly anti-establishment media, who shall remain nameless, are still busy spreading the theory that this is all a plot to control the population, and that this disease is no worse than the flu. Beware of these websites.

#51056 Reply
                              SA

Rhys
                                The mortality is high in the elderly and the sick, but there is a considerable morbidity which is associated with the disease even in younger people. Of course at the start of the epidemic this will be the pattern, but as the disease spreads and resources are stretched, even the young will suffer. As in the article by a junior hospital doctor from the guardian, this will impact on all patients requiring hospital care and in time I think even appendicitis may become a lethal disease because of lack of facilities and hospital beds and staff.
                                Yes of course China and South Korea did halt the epidemic, using draconian measures which the conspiracy websites are telling us is an overreaction.
                                Bottom line
                                20% require hospital admission
                                5% require critical care
                                therefore if you have 20,000 case in UK as is projected in about two weeks we will require 4,000 beds and 1000 ITU beds in excess of current occupancy. Do you think we have these resources, and this is only two weeks away. Do you think transmission ill magically stop?

#51057 Reply
                                SA

And incase you thought that there is an unlimited number of ITU beds available the figure for UK is just above 4000.
                                  Source.Source..
                                  You will have to click on the tab that says England Time Series XLS to look download the spreadsheet.
                                  Bearing in mind that NHS beds and ITU beds usually run at over 90% capacity, you can appreciate the problem.

#51062 Reply
                                  nevermind

Here comes a fairly brilliant idea. In a time when everyone is worried, the chips are down for many, no cultural diversion, no sport and only a grainy netflix to sit on our backsides for, we need something to boost global moral.

THE GLOBAL PANDEMIC SONG CONTEST
                                    1) Announce it worldwide to prepare one act per country, whittled down over two weeks to present the oline favorite in each respective country.

It is then that one camera wo/man films this act in each country, no touching at all. By a certain date, these acts are transmitted on TV for us to vote on, either online or by phone ( free or for a small fee,10n p, to pay for the camera work).

No need for large halls or bling or any presenters bar one who collates the votes.
                                    It is open to any country worldwide and it is screened for as many days ( for one or two hrs/day) as it takes to see them all.
                                    The final vote globally decides the numbers and we have one winner.
                                    The can be one person or a group, an old or new song, it does not matter, the idea is to boost the moral of people that have been stuck at home for weeks.

I have talked to many, some who never were interested in Eurovision like me, and they all said its a great idea they would watch.
                                    This is not about profits, but a cultural move to boost global confidence and moral.

I have no idea how to organise it as I do not work in the media, but the idea is to make it as safe as possible for all, without the bling, a simple cultural response to this wretched virus.
                                    If everyone shares this widely, somebody with the nous will pick it up and run with it.
                                    thanks in advance

#51066 Reply
                                    SA

The recurring theme heard from today’s roundup from UK is that the NHS does not even have the basic resources to protect its own staff, no appropriate masks or aprons, not sufficient staffing and no organisational attempts to help staff to and from work or to feed themselves. Already several doctors have become seriously ill and are on ventilators.
                                      In the Andrew Marr show, an journalist from the Economist, Rolla Khaliq, said that it was Dominic Cummings who has been enthusiastic about the herd immunity eugenic experiments based on expecting 100,000 deaths. It was the Imperial study that projected that the figure was more like 500,000 if unmitigated and 250,000 if mitigated that changed his mind and he has now become a strong supporter of lockdown. I can’t believe that an unelected unscientific ‘advisor’ has so much influence on the clown who is our Prime Minister. A bit reminiscent of Rasputin and the last days of the Romanoffs.
                                      Meanwhile minister still lie and reassure everyone that these supplies are available for the NHS and that in any case we will give them the money they need, as if wishful thinking will reverse this catastrophe.
                                      On a separate note if we had a thinking government, instead of pretending that they will just dish out money for those affected by this, they should mass employ them to carry out a huge national mobilisation task. These people could be used to transport staff from home to hospitals and other essential activities, to distribute food, to act as marshals and wardens in communities to look out for the vulnerable, do their shopping and other errands and to monitor people who leave their homes unnecessarily. Such activities will not only allow people to retain an income, but will give them a sense of purpose and participation, rather than them being passive recipients of handouts.

#51070 Reply
                                      Pooh

Let one remember this picture when taking more than one needs.
                                        https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETjy1fRXYAElsAi?format=jpg&name=small

#51082 Reply
                                        Brianfujisan

Scotland bans people flocking to remote islands to escape coronavirus

Nicola Sturgeon has announced new measures to try and prevent the spread of coronavirus in Scotland, saying life ‘should not feel normal’. At a press conference today she said non-essential travellers should not go to the Scottish islands and ferries would not accept them, that B&Bs and hotels should not accept visitors and that people should not gather for occasions such as wedding receptions. She said there had been an influx of people to the Scottish islands, but warned that people ‘cannot outrun’ the virus and risked taking it to remote communities.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/22/scotland-announces-lockdown-protect-remote-communities-12438644/?ito=social&

#51084 Reply
                                          SA

I have just sent this letter to my MP
                                            I am one of your constituents. I have written to you earlier about the Covid-19 crisis concerning the flawed government response. Since then it has been widely agreed that this response was flawed and the Government has changed its stance although in my opinion the response is late and weak. However, I would like to make a suggestion.
                                            The government is proposing to give businesses and self employed and those on zero hour contract support during this crisis which is highly commendable. Would it not be possible to give this help a positive twist so that the recipients are actually involved and committed? This can be done by way of requisitioning both workers and premises. Of course details need to be worked out, but currently the majority of the nation seems to be asked to sit at home helplessly whilst a minority are bearing the burden in carrying out essential services. The government and local councils can use this to for example do the following:
                                            1. Requisition resources to organise transport safely for NHS and other essential workers.
                                            2. Requisition resources to help the food industry to arrange and expand home food deliveries.
                                            3. Organise locally a system of volunteers to ensure that the vulnerable are cared for.
                                            4. Organise ques at places such as supermarkets.

I am sure there are other activities but this is just a blueprint.

#51085 Reply
                                            michael norton

Last evening, after they had closed, I went to Tesco to read their notice to see what they are doing about protecting their customers from infection, the manager came outside to take the notice in but spent some time chatting with me.
                                              Pensioner hour will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday, between nine and ten, however, he pointed out that other people could not be excluded but he said pensioners would get “priority”.
                                              Useless.

I asked him how often they cleaned the trolley and basket handles, he said he did not know but he thought it was once a day.
                                              Useless.
                                              I asked him did they actually have food.
                                              He said they did have some food.

#51098 Reply
                                              Brianfujisan

Interesting Piece here By Pepe Escobar at Consortium News –

….” Adding all that to the fact that coronavirus genome variations in Iran and Italy were sequenced and it was revealed they do not belong to the variety that infected Wuhan, Chinese media are now openly asking questions and drawing a connection with the shutting down in August last year of the “unsafe” military bioweapon lab at Fort Detrick, the Military Games, and the Wuhan epidemic. Some of these questions had been asked– with no response – inside the U.S. itself.

Extra questions linger about the opaque Event 201 in New York on October 18, 2019: a rehearsal for a worldwide pandemic caused by a deadly virus – which happened to be coronavirus. This magnificent coincidence happened one month before the outbreak in Wuhan.

Event 201 was sponsored by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the World Economic Forum (WEF), the CIA, Bloomberg, John Hopkins Foundation and the UN. The World Military Games opened in Wuhan on the exact same day…

https://consortiumnews.com/2020/03/18/china-locked-in-hybrid-war-with-us/?

#51107 Reply
                                                SA

Brian
                                                  Pepe is usually OK but in this case he is pushing an agenda, he has not qualified to make scientific and medical assessment, in my view.

#51118 Reply
                                                  Brianfujisan

SA.

Yeah you are correct Re Pepe’s Qualifications in this field.. I like pepe, doses good work.

I see that he Metro reported that the Virus is Airborne.. when there is Zero actual evidence for this –

Health Secretary Matt Hancock says the Government has ordered 3.5 million antibody tests to aid its battle against coronavirus.

“They will let people know if they have had coronavirus and whether they are immune to the airborne disease.”

The airborne ‘theory’ was questioned by a Chinese expert on Sunday.. Two days before the irresponsible Metro article –

This view was questioned on Sunday, when researcher Feng Luzhao of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention told a press conference there is no evidence that the virus can form aerosols. Feng said, according to China Daily, that the most likely route of transmission appears to be direct, where a person breathes in the air of an infected person who has coughed or sneezed, which is different to airborne transmission. In addition, he said it is unlikely the virus can spread through fruit and vegetables.

#51121 Reply
                                                    SA

That does appear to be the case. The difference is that droplets, large particles would be highly infectious, so if someone sneezes nearby or coughs then if you come in contact with these droplets you can get infected. On the other hand smaller particles persist longer and travel further but are not or much less, infectious.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 225 total)
                                                    Reply To: Corona virus: Government takes the St Augustine approach.
                                                    Your information: