Prisons & the criminal injustice system

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Prisons & the criminal injustice system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Shibboleth

I was interested to read Craig’s opinion on the prison regime in Scotland following his time in Saughton. This certainly struck a chord:

The other point is the vast majority of the people in that jail come from the poorest housing schemes in Scotland. The vast majority of people in that jail were born into poverty and born into addiction. One thing I didn’t realise before I went in, is that one of the reasons why paedophiles are so hated by prisoners is that a very high proportion of prisoners suffered abuse in their own childhood, often in institutions. And a very high proportion of the people in that jail have never known normal family life, have known nothing but institutional care since childhood on … growing up through foster care, through young offenders’ prisons, ending up in prison. I was kept throughout … because I was a civil prisoner, they decided to keep me on the new arrivals hall, where people spend their first two nights in prison. And I saw people come into prison – again, in one case, three times in the time I’ve been in there – having been released/offended, released/offended. And prison is doing nothing to rehabilitate these people. The vast majority of people in jail need health treatment for addiction, not imprisonment, and they are not getting it.

Having recently served a 12 month stretch in England, I would agree entirely with Craig’s observations. A majority of inmates have come from the poorest backgrounds and never known a normal, happy, family life. Many are victims of abuse and have received no counselling or mental health care to address the damage done – and there is absolutely no rehabilitation whatsoever. Self-harm and suicides are very common in all establishments – as is violence between inmates and from guards, usually over debts or drugs or both. It’s difficult to smuggle drugs into prisons, but everyone knows which guards are on the take.

Most of the older prisons are disgusting places – infestation with rats and lice is the norm and sharing a 12×7 with another man 23/24 is a horrible experience, especially when they have profound mental health issues and psychopathy. You keep your head down to survive – don’t question authority and turn away from the abuse. See, hear and speak no evil.

I was fortunate – I was a mentor in education, teaching English and basic writing and taking a music class three times a week – as well as working in the chaplaincy, which provided a little normality and sanity. Even then, the horrors weren’t far away. Two of my orderlies – men in their late 60s – hung themselves within three weeks of their release date. Both had been institutionalised and had no support from OM or community probation for their release. They were being placed into an approved premises or hostel, away from any family support – and couldn’t cope with the prospect. There are many who follow Brooks’ example in the Shawshank Redemption – but like the suicides inside, you rarely hear of the tragedies on the outside.

Craig’s latest post on the unprofessionalism and inexperience that blights the immigration service is definitely applicable to the probation service, which is failing both victims of crime and prisoners on release. People are recalled for the most ludicrous of reasons – being five minutes late for an appointment; missing a call from their probation officer. Back into prison for the remainder of the time on licence – 2 or 3 years in some cases. Then there are people on IPP sentences – deemed illegal by the High Court a decade ago. It is a desperately counter-productive and inhumane regime, especially compared to the Scandinavian system.

Like Craig, this was my first (and last) experience of prison. My crime was defending myself from someone armed with a weapon and under the influence of crack cocaine and methamphetamine in an unprovoked and unexpected attack. Although I had never been in a fight before and find violence repugnant, I managed to fracture my assailant’s jaw and was able to escape. In the eyes of the law, this was GBH without intent. Like Craig, I am now in the process of appealing the conviction and sentence.

There has to be a better system of crime and punishment – there are certainly people in the system that should never be released, many would argue they would be better executed – but perhaps not with our legal system, which is another deeply flawed service. But the majority of people in prison needn’t be there at all. It is a sad reflection on the lack of compassion and understanding in our wider society.

I’m glad Craig endured and survived his experience in Saughton and hope the scars quickly heal.

#89557 Reply
    Clark

Shibboleth, that’s appalling; I am truly sorry that was inflicted on you.

“I’m glad Craig endured and survived his experience in Saughton and hope the scars quickly heal.”

I hope the same for you.

#89558 Reply
    Shibboleth

Thank you Clark. There were some positive experiences – it made me realise just how fortunate I had been in my life and I made some really good friends. Being able to help others made a big difference. Part of the problem here is society’s view of offenders – that they are in prison to be punished, not realising that the loss of liberty is the real punishment, they expect people to be humiliated and degraded. Sadly something some of the guards are only too willing to exploit.

The Scandinavian approach is totally different. In Sweden, a prison officer is a highly respected and well paid career – and the rehabilitation facilities are incredible. Prisons are much smaller – a max of 100 inmates – and there is a clear pathway to rehabilitation and integration back to society. Needless to say the reoffending rate is extremely small.

Have a look at BASTA – and see what could be done with the right approach…

Basta! Social Enterprising – Rehabilitation through work

#90146 Reply
    Shibboleth

As a short follow up on the OP and perhaps another angle on Craig’s observation about the revolving door of imprisonment. Sure some have a breach of licence, a few for good reason, like committing another offence, but…

I’ve been released and now under the responsibility of the probation service. Having been an inspector in the NHS inspectorate in another life, you recognise when performance targets aren’t being met, never mind when a public body is in complete collapse. I’ve not seen or heard from my PO for a couple of months, she was put on indefinite leave. Her replacement has done nothing to help with accommodation or approve a suitable address, so I’ve been in a hostel for 3 months until last week. Time up and I’m on a floor in someone’s son’s house. I can’t move as probation have to approve addresses and they’re not at work now until Jan. So mid to late Jan for them to sort out checks. Can’t access homeless services as there is a cold weather rough sleeping mandate in force, properly so, but there is no emergency accommodation. Unless I give rough sleeping a try.

I’ve no meds or access to GPs and a visit to A&E yesterday was a 14 hour nightmare. If I move to more appropriate accommodation, I risk recall. If I move to family in another part of the country, I face recall.

Two lads who did the same in my jail were recalled because a breach of bail conditions, one for taking a bus that passed just inside his exclusion zone on the way to a probation meeting. The other as he deliberately stole some chocolate bars – making it very visible on cctv – a month after his release. Both lads were homeless, living on the streets – no assistance from agencies whatsoever. Too many multiple crises at once – a delicious convergence don’t you think?

So for many who’ve been released from prison in the last six months, will be heading back. At least they’ll have meals, a bed and hot showers. Oh and don’t forget the TV.

The country is totally fucked and I’m like Clark insomuch as we really need to do something. If not now, when?

#90147 Reply
    Dawg

Sounds awful, Shibboleth. I hope you get settled somewhere soon.

The real shame is that the prisons service does have more suitable facilities for reintroducing inmates to civilian life, such as the plush Castle Huntly open prison near Dundee, which is well below capacity. There was a report about it on the Beeb today.

BBC News: Castle Huntly open prison underused, say inspectors (22 Dec 2022)

“Inspectors have criticised the “disappointing underuse” of Scotland’s only open prison after a report found it was less than half full.

HMP Castle Huntly, in Longforgan near Dundee, has a capacity of 285 inmates – but housed 100 at its last inspection.

His Majesty’s Inspectorate of Prisons for Scotland (HMIPS) said there was a “stark choice” unless better use could be made of the prison.

HMIPS said a more radical option might be to close it altogether.

The report said this would allow other prisons to run more open regimes, but warned it would be “hard to replicate the inspiring and restorative tranquillity of HMP Castle Huntly”.

Inspectors who visited the prison in June and July said HMP Castle Huntly should be a flagship establishment but “too few prisoners are afforded the opportunity to access it”.

I wonder if those running the Prisons Service are so focused on delivering retributive justice that they deliberately ensure the conditions are harsh. If you treat prisoners with contempt, as if they’re just an irredeemably bad sort who don’t deserve respect or decent standards, then that’s the kind of person who will emerge once released back into the community.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Prisons & the criminal injustice system
Your information: