Reply To: What is Conspiracy Theory?

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum What is Conspiracy Theory? Reply To: What is Conspiracy Theory?

Clark

Buster, I try to eliminate beliefs from my mind, and I try to avoid using the word because it means different things to different people in different circumstances. Believing in God and believing your keys are in back door are very different.

The following may seem pedantic, but I’m trying to be clear.

There are propositions that I accept, my acceptance being based on evidence and theory – where, by ‘theory’ I mean a method of reasoning. I accept the proposition that the Moon orbits the Earth, because it is consistent with my observations, and with gravitational theory.

There are propositions that I reject, my rejection being based on evidence and theory – I reject the proposition that the Earth is flat, because it contradicts my observations, and it contradicts gravitational theory.

There are propositions that I provisionally accept or reject; provisionally because I know my knowledge to be inadequate.

There are suspicions that I hold; for instance I suspect that the 9/11 attacks may have been a Gladio B operation, or maybe a CIA infiltration attempt that got out of hand.

Each of those final examples is likely to be dismissed as “a conspiracy theory” by others, but I didn’t reach them – and couldn’t have reached them – through conspiracy theory.

I hope I have made the distinction clear.