Secret memos expose link between oil firms and invasion of Iraq

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Secret memos expose link between oil firms and invasion of Iraq

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    cimarrón

I don’t know if this has already been covered on this blog. It’s about the oil companies’ involvement in the Iraq war. This is from a 2011 article, but I had seen nothing about it until now:

In March 2003, just before Britain went to war, Shell denounced reports that it had held talks with Downing Street about Iraqi oil as “highly inaccurate”. BP denied that it had any “strategic interest” in Iraq, while Tony Blair described “the oil conspiracy theory” as “the most absurd”.

But documents from October and November the previous year paint a very different picture.

Foreign Office memorandum, 13 November 2002, following meeting with BP: “Iraq is the big oil prospect. BP are desperate to get in there and anxious that political deals should not deny them the opportunity to compete. The long-term potential is enormous…”

Tony Blair, 6 February 2003: “Let me just deal with the oil thing because… the oil conspiracy theory is honestly one of the most absurd when you analyse it. The fact is that, if the oil that Iraq has were our concern, I mean we could probably cut a deal with Saddam tomorrow in relation to the oil. It’s not the oil that is the issue, it is the weapons…”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/secret-memos-expose-link-between-oil-firms-and-invasion-of-iraq-2269610.html

The documents were not offered as evidence in the Chilcot Inquiry into the UK’s involvement in the Iraq war.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Secret memos expose link between oil firms and invasion of Iraq
Your information: