Useful codes in the forums?

Latest News Forums Site technical issues and feedback Useful codes in the forums?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jack

What are some useful codes one could use in the forums? I know of the tag but what is the tag for making an indent and what is the code for making a text bold?

#95136 Reply
    Jack

oh great I messed up instantly, well you see, let me know some useful tags 🙂

#95314 Reply
    Clark

I use:

’em’ tags, emphasis, to get italics.
    ‘strong’ tags to get bold.
    ‘a’ tags to get a link.

I think I’ve used ‘strike’ tags successfully.

The forum software removes most tags. I suppose you could try the “Allowed HTML”, in red under Craig’s posts, just above the comment form, but the Forums might have different rules. I suppose you could try them on this thread.

#95329 Reply
    ET

I try to use some of the “allowed HTML” tags but seem to get them wrong most of the time. Especially the quote tags. Sometime ago in another thread (climate denialist thread) one of the mods showed how to use the link tags by citing examples. Something similar for the other tags would be good. However, I am aware that such things take up valuable time.

#95653 Reply
    Jack

Anyone know the tag for making a blockquote or a tag with the similar effect?

#95832 Reply
    ET

If mods have any time would it be possible to make a post showing how the quote tags are used. Or someone else if they know. When I try I mess them up. I notice that often mods tidy up posts and fix quotes especially (and my grammatical errors, thanks). It might save time in the long run if you could show us how.

#95835 Reply
    Clark

ET, I think I’ve used blockquote – slash-blockquote successfully, but I don’t use it because it strips out the blank lines I type to make paragraphs more distinct.

I wrote above (#95314) that I thought I’d used strike – slash-strike successfully, but when I tried using them recently (towards the end of this comment), upon posting they displayed just as I’d typed them. A moderator later turned them into proper strike-through formatting.

#95836 Reply
    ET

Similar has happened to me. I spend time researching what the proper format should be but I still get it wrong. I’ve got the links down (mostly) thanks to mods post in the climate denialist thread. I’d like to work out the proper formatting for quotes and save mods having to correct it for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Useful codes in the forums?
Your information: