Reply To: List of countries that have suspended AstraZeneca vaccine because of bloodclots

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum List of countries that have suspended AstraZeneca vaccine because of bloodclots Reply To: List of countries that have suspended AstraZeneca vaccine because of bloodclots

SA

Tatyana
The incidence of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) is not clear because of its rarity but is also variable in different countries. It is more frequent in women and use of oral contraceptives is more common in those who have it, This paper summarises some of the incidence figures which is between 3/million to 13/million. With the lower figure and given that 18 million people were vaccinated you would expect between 54 and 216 cases of CVST. The reason why the Europeans halted the study was that when an unexpected event happens with a new drug, these are flagged up to exclude association, and I think that has been pretty well done now there is no evidence whatsoever that the risk of CVST is increased if you have the AZ vaccine. Looking at it another way if 30 people who had the AZ vaccine became very ill with acute alcoholic poisoning and 7 died out of 18 million vaccinated then you would not suggest that the vaccine causes alcohol poisoning would you?

Sadly I think the war against the AZ vaccine is a commercial one driven by the fact that of the Western Vaccines, the AZ is being sold at production costs. This is not the case with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. The AZ vaccine is also easier to store and administer. I think living in ration you would understand these commercial turf wars. Similar ones are being waged against the Sputnik and Chinese vaccines.