Five Hiroshima bombs per second

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Five Hiroshima bombs per second

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    DiggerUK

The Berlin Climate Neutrality By 2030 referendum showed a lack of interest for the majority of Berliners.

The referendum was held last Sunday. Although most of the votes cast were in favour, not enough people voted to make the total vote quorate.
    18% of the electorate voted in favour, 17% voted against and 65% stayed at home in their bunkers…_

#90804 Reply
    Clark

Natural law doesn’t care what people think, not even a majority.

#90805 Reply
    Clark

“…how many types of denialism do you reckon there are?”

Sir Keef seems to have demonstrated hit-and-run denialism. Very popular, that one.

#90806 Reply
    DiggerUK

As the man said,
    “Why aren’t more people interrigent? Rike me”…_

#90815 Reply
    Clark

It isn’t that people are clever or stupid, nor even that people are misinformed. It’s worse than that. The supposedly factual news and current affairs media diligently undermine their viewers’ ability to rationally examine evidence, 24/7, year after year after year.

It has to do that, because the purpose of news and current affairs coverage is not to inform; it’s to lure audiences to advertisements – and that’s when it isn’t simply manipulating the public for political purposes. The commercial media have their own commercial objectives, and degrading their audiences’ critical thinking skills furthers those ends. This malign influence acts as much on elected representatives as it does on voters, as much on employers as on employees. When the biosphere itself is being killed by the profit motive, capitalism no longer serves the people of any class; by “serving the market” and swallowing neoliberal ideology governments have let a system get beyond their control and now it’s effectively farming us, confounding our ability to see the obvious by fogging our minds with “controversy”.

#90853 Reply
    glenn_nl

Clark –

Interesting little series from a year or so back, I missed it at the time. It’s called “How they made us doubt everything” – plenty of particulars concerning the operators who went smoothly from the tobacco/cancer denial industry to working for the fossil fuel people. Also highlights why scientists have been so bad at putting across their message, and how slick PR consultants basically wiped the floor with them.

https://podcasts.files.bbci.co.uk/m000l7q1.rss

You can still hear the denialists coming up with _exactly_ the same talking points, all utterly disingenuous, promoted by the fossil fuel companies decades ago.

Incidentally, the “Fight like an animal” podcasts were interesting, thanks for that recommendation.

#90868 Reply
    Clark

Glenn_nl, thanks for that RSS feed. For those who haven’t used RSS, here’s the BBC’s own index page:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000l7q1/episodes/downloads

The episodes are less than fifteen minutes each; clear, straightforward, with recorded statements from many involved at the time.

#90915 Reply
    tonyopmoc

Clark,

In around 2009, when I discovered Craig Murray’s blog, I very nearly turned up in Norwich, at his campaign HQ to eg drop leaflets, in the hope that Craig would become the MP for Norwich North vs Chloe Smith.

So I nearly met you, and I think we would have got on, even though we disagreed about many things.

Glad you are still alive, and hopefull well.

I have had an entertaining hour reading the discussions between you, Glen_nl and John re covid and the jabs

What do you think now about them?

I thought you might have turned up at Craig Murray’s latest thing re Julian Assange – maybe you did.

My respect for Craig Murray is undiminished, and for some obscure reason, I have always liked you, especially when you were the moderator here.

I know, I am pretty comprehensively banned from most blogs on the internet, but that has been quite normal for me since around 1995.

We have got 3 Grandkids now, and our Rainbow Solar lights, have survived the winter.

covid did my head in more than my body – but that a bit too through lack of exercise and sunshine.

Trying to get fit, lose weight for the Festival Camping season ahead.

My wife and I look, and are pretty much the same, though she is very much fitter than me.

None of my immediate family have been jabbed, though there was a reunion for one of our friends who had, and dropped dead a year ago, suddenly, unexpectedly during a party.

Tony

#90916 Reply
    Clark

Hello Tony, good to hear from you again. I’ll reply properly later; I’m about to watch a documentary about the Drax power station:

Drax: UK power station owner cuts down primary forests in Canada – BBC Science & Environment

#90917 Reply
    Clark

Oh, looks like there’s a better one on Vimeo. “BURNED – Are Trees the New Coal”, 74 minutes.

#90930 Reply
    tonyopmoc

Clark.

Re “Drax: UK power station owner cuts down primary forests in Canada”

At the time, about 20 years ago, I went to the meeting about that, and I stood up and spoke from the audience, and they listened to me..

What I said might have made a slight change in their plan, but it didn’t do me any good,and I had to leave. I didn’t shout or anything, but everyone could hear me. I was extremely polite…i just simply suggested for nuerous reasons, that what was proposed, was not a particularly good idea.

#90935 Reply
    Clark

Good on you for that, Tony.

When I eventually find time to properly compose a reply, I’ll post it on the “COVID-19 in 2022” thread where it will be on-topic.

#90950 Reply
    Clark

Tony, I’ve posted my replies.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
Reply To: Five Hiroshima bombs per second
Your information: