SARS cov2 and Covid 19

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum SARS cov2 and Covid 19

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,203 total)
  • Author
    SA

I think Dave is living in a parallel universe. Communists in U.K. and USA?

SA

And Dave once and for all please post a link showing high false positives for PCR, just one.

Clark

– “the mortality rate is so low…”

Diamond Princess cruise ship, where everyone aboard was tested multiple times, and everyone has either recovered or died:

Total cases: 712. Total deaths: 13. IFR = 13 / 712 x 100 = over 1.8%.

Milder than the ‘flu, huh? “Just a coronavirus” huh? SARS and MERS are coronaviruses, 9.5% and 35% fatality rates respectively. COVID-19 is caused by SARS-CoV-2, so named for the similarity of its spike protein to SARS.

Try getting your facts right Dave; you’ve nothing useful to add unless you do.

Dave

Except the shroud waving isn’t born out by facts. The Daily Mail dutifully publishes the official narrative, but due to a very large middle-class readership, it also has to tell the truth or suffer the same fate as the Ministry of Truth, hence very good articles from genuine experts like Dr John Lee and many graphs (today) showing the true, lesser, situation now compared to April.

Dave

I use the term communist to describe a dictatorial few who rule in the name of the many, who employ black is white and double-speak as a weapon to divide and rule the people, to maintain their own privilege.

I’m sure there are people who believe utopian creeds, but in the real world the 1% represent their own ethnic, religious or economic interest first, and to repel the populists this ‘western’ ruling class has formed an alliance with the Chinese communists.

Hence the use of a virus to imprison a nation to suppress populism. They got rid of Corbyn, but not Trump (yet) and not Brexit at least for 5 years, (albeit I supported a compromise).

Charlie

Less than 1% of people who are said to have died from Covid in the UK, died in an ICU Unit (ICNARC)

Why do you suppose that is? It wasn’t because they were full or any way near.

Perhaps they were going to die anyway and nothing could be done to save them or an ICU would have been of no help?

ET

“And the the PCR False Positives, which the government deliberately includes in the published figures…”

Some data uses deaths within 28 days of a positive test by date of test or death but the ONS data (which has higher overall figures than those referenced to positive tests) uses death certificates and makes no reference to positive tests at all. There are other data sets.

“is easily web-searched”

As is the counter argument. However, I think argument is entirely lost on you because you have chosen to believe what you want to believe whether facts support your belief or not.

ET

“Less than 1% of people who are said to have died from Covid in the UK, died in an ICU Unit (ICNARC)”

Can you please point to the specific page where that is stated?

“Why do you suppose that is? It wasn’t because they were full or any way near.”

Check the chart on page 16 of that .pdf ICNARC document showing “Admissions to critical care – COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 for each month over the past five years.”
    https://www.icnarc.org/DataServices/Attachments/Download/4ac72922-f345-eb11-912d-00505601089b

SA

The WHO has issued an appeal about to draw to the fact that there is an infidemic, a tsunami of information, some well informed and accurate but also with a lot of misinformation and deliberate disinformation.
    https://www.who.int/news/item/11-12-2020-call-for-action-managing-the-infodemic

I also find the non COVID related part of Dave’ above post rather amusing detachment from reality. Corbyn and Trump connected exactly in what way? Then the West in collusion with ‘communist China’. Really Dave the two have gone in entirely separate ways in dealing with the epidemic and actually the more repressive Chinese communist approach worked better than the completely profit driven individualistic western one and we can all see the consequences. Ah I forgot, Dave doesn’t see the consequences, because it is all make believe. This is deliberate misinformation.
    Dave I repeat my challenge, please post a link where the accuracy of the PCR and high false positive rates are scientifically discussed.

Dave

@ SA.

I’m surprised you want me to hold your hand and provide an easily available link but to avoid it becoming an obsession here’s one, https://thecritic.co.uk/matt-hancock-obstinate-or-innumerate/

So you’re saying the 1000s of experts who have signed the Great Barrington Declaration are spreading disinformation? Another communist term that was used in the Soviet Union!

SA

Dave
    Thanks for obliging. The reason why I asked you to provide a link is that I can then refute what that link alleges.
    In answer to your link here is a specific link that addresses this question. I know it is from the Huffpost but the argument there is pretty solid, using the same statistics provided in your link.

But there are other arguments also to prove the errors of this supposed high false positive rates (FPR) of the PCR in the diagnosis of SARS Cov2. To start with let us agree that the FPR is not known and there is no published data, but we could look at other sources to try and find out what it could be. First of all I would like you to look at this article from a scientist with first hand knowledge of the PCR which explains why the PCR combines both a high sensitivity and a high specificity and done properly with the appropriate internal controls should never give a false positive. Even contamination can be detected by these internal controls. The article does need some sort of general scientific background to understand: The “false-positive PCR” problem is not a problem.

So this is some scientific background, let us try to look at what data may be available to find out the true FPR of the PCR in actual settings. There are several indirect ways, but just to look at this simplistically, then if the test has an FPR of 1% then if you test 1 million individuals you should get 10,000 false positive cases, or if it is 0.1% it would be 1000 false positives. Given this let us look at what the Chinese did (despite being communists). They tested the whole population of Wuhan after the lockdown to see if there were any residual cases. In under two weeks they tested over 9 million people and had only 300 positives, all asymptomatic. So even if these three hundred were all false positives then the FPR would be something like 0.003%.
    Other indirect evidence for a low FPR is from countries like New Zealand, Australia and Hong Kong who cintinued mass testing after they suppressed the virus and if the FPR was a constant then you would expect there to be a sort of background positivity due to this.
    Another evidence can also be seen from many countries where transmission has been low but with high testing. Here is a chart of all the statistics. and if you filter on the heading ‘Test per million population then you will see that there is no correlation between this and the total number of cases.

SA

As to the Great Barrington Declaration, funded by the Koch foundation, here are some prominent experts explaining what this is not only naïve but impractical to implement. Extracts:

“interventions to reduce transmission, to develop better treatments and to protect vulnerable people. This declaration “An effective response to the Covid pandemic requires multiple targeted interventions to reduce transmission, to develop better treatments and to protect vulnerable people” is just one aspect of a sensible strategy – protecting the vulnerable – and suggests we can safely build up ‘herd immunity’ in the rest of the population. This is wishful thinking.”

“Those behind the Barrington Declaration are advocates of herd immunity within a population. They state that “Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal”, with the idea being that somehow the vulnerable of society will be protected from ensuing transmission of a dangerous virus. It is a very bad idea. We saw that even with intensive lockdowns in place, there was a huge excess death toll, with the elderly bearing the brunt of that, and 20-30% of the UK population would be classed as vulnerable to a severe COVID-19 infection.”

and so on, I will let you read the rest.

SA

Also there is another fallacy, that building up immunity with vitamins and sunshine is the answer to Covid-19. This is based on a very basic misunderstanding of what is the cause of the severe disease. To explain this: there are two factors at play: one factor is who gets severe disease and who gets mild or asymptomatic infection, and the second one is who dies from the disease. The first factor appears not to be related to the properties of the virus itself, but in the host’s response to the virus which affects about 20% of those infected. This is a delayed reaction which is caused by the the immune response to the virus. The normal response is to produce antibodies, which kill the virus and get rid of it with minimal damage to the person. The second type of response is an exaggerated inappropriate response characterized by what is known as a ‘cytokine storm’ causing a specific type of lung injury and possibly also injuries to other organs. This response is not age related and can affect anyone of any age, above 20 years. Not enough is known as to why some people get this response, but there is a suggestion that it is genetically determined as there are genetic factors that determine response to infections and this has been shown in other infections. The main factors that determine whether someone will die from the infection are age and co-morbidities. So if 100 young people get the serious form of the infection, they will still go to hospital, may even be ventilated, but say 99% of them will survive. However if 100 individuals who are old or have comorbidities get the serious form, more of them will die say 10-20. And this is why the various causes a serious problem, because the serious illness is not limited to the elderly.

Dave

Applying elementary commonsense, aren’t you incredulous 9m tests only result in 300 Positives? In my link an expert highlighted the existence of a False Positive Rate and the Health Secretary agreed a FPR of about 1%. This figure could be higher or lower, but seriously do you really believe as low as 0.003%? Or is this figure similar and as reliable as a Marxist-Leninist Albanian election result?

Another elementary observation is those testing Positive are mostly otherwise healthy, so they’re testing Positive for something that isn’t making them ill, hence easy to conclude the Positive is a False Positive.

And if in doubt do a second test, but this is something the government refuse to do, no doubt to keep the figures as high as possible.

SA

Why do you distrust the Chinese figures?
    With respect Matt Hancock is not an authority on the PCR and nor for that matter is Hartley Brewer. He was answering an off-the-cuff political question and less than 1 percent sounded a good figure to quote.
    As to Yeadon. He proposed theories plucked out of thin air about previous immunity to coronavirus in the population.
    Dave. Why are our hospitals now full to capacity with patients? What is your view, or is it a hoax?

SA

Also I have given you different lines of argument but all you do is to hark on your fear of reds under the bed.

Charlie

“Why are our hospitals now full to capacity with patients? What is your view, or is it a hoax?”

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/press/press-releases/winter-daily-situational-report-16-january

It happens every year, they knew it was coming this year but they had a problem, they had built all the Nightingale hospitals so to obviate that problem they dismantled them blaming it on staff shortages but that was a lie, most nurses are twiddling their thumbs at the moment.

The government deliberately created a crisis, actively underresoursed the NHS this year on things they needed, wasted billions on things that were not needed and purposely put additional pressure on an already broken system.

Why would they do that? Is it a hoax?

ps before you lecture on statistics you need to brush up on what sample, population and rate mean. You may think you know what they mean but you clearly don’t.

But thanks for this, I laughed out loud;

” To start with let us agree that the FPR is not known and there is no published data, but we could look at other sources to try and find out what it could be ….

So this is some scientific background …”

Priceless

Dave

I doubt the government figures, or more exactly the figures given at a press conference by the Prime Minister, Health Secretary, Chief Scientific and Medical officer’s, who are ruling by decree, particularly when they are debunked the next day by all and sundry experts and journalists, bar the BBC. And I doubt them because they’re used to justify policies, a national lockdown, that makes no medical sense, because you can’t stop a respiratory virus from passing through the population.

Hence my immediate scepticism of a 0.003% FPR from a government that imposed an inhumane lockdown without a free press allowed to question the policy, but which you readily believe because you think it proves criminal lockdowns work!

Dave

I think prolonged lockdowns of the healthy is elementary nonsense, but my question to you regarding the 1000s of experts signing the Great Barrington Declaration was not whether they were right or wrong, but whether you think they are spreading “disinformation” – a soviet communist term to silence/imprison in mental hospitals critics of government policy.

SA

Charlie
    Too many coincidences Charlie. First, winter pressures occur in winter. How come we had one in April May and then now one in December January. And why if the current crisis is just not the ‘normal’ winter crisis are these cases not diagnosed with ‘flu, and why is everyone not rushing to do something about it if it was flu? Ah, I get it, despite the fact that there are antivirals, such as Tamiflu that work for flu, everyone is ignoring this, the medics are letting their patients die rather than giving effective treatment, Pharma is forgoing the big profits they would get for pushing more of their established vaccines and treatments, in order to risk the future on uncertain vaccines, and maybe also to control us. Then of course this is not only happening in Britain, but all over the world. What a coincidence and this big conspiracy is just in order to pretend there is a new epidemic, and the reward of course is to have wrecked economies. It really takes a very warped mind to construct this scenario when there is a much simpler explanation. I am afraid you do not seem to understand science at all.

SA

“I doubt the government figures, or more exactly the figures given at a press conference by the Prime Minister, Health Secretary, Chief Scientific and Medical officer’s, who are ruling by decree, particularly when they are debunked the next day by all and sundry experts and journalists, bar the BBC. And I doubt them because they’re used to justify policies, a national lockdown, that makes no medical sense, because you can’t stop a respiratory virus from passing through the population.”

And you doubt everything? So what. Does it alter the facts? No. You can continue to deny and make many completely unfounded assumptions. I think you are not here to debate facts, just to propagandise a very conspiratorial stance.

SA

Dave
    The great barrington declaration was not signed by thousands of experts. I am sorry I gave the wrong link earlier to critique by experts of the GBD, here it is.

It is indeed interesting to see who has signed this. There are ten from England, none of them a jobbing clinician who is actually treating patients with Covid-19 or at the coalface. So it really matters very little whether there are a thousand signatories, it matters what they do to have so much more insight.

Charlie

OK SA, you are in charge, you know the winter sickness season in getting closer and hospitals start to fill. You have brand new Nightingale hospitals, 47,000 volunteer ex NHS staff at your disposal.

What do you do?

It’s simple isn’t it, you dismantle the overflow hospitals and make recruitment of the volunteers so difficult that only a small proportion of them can be recruited and then only into admin jobs.

The recruitment process required the applicants to submit 21 forms, one to provide evidence of Prevent Radicalisation training.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9097533/Red-tape-blamed-5-000-40-000-retired-NHS-workers-volunteered-given-jobs.html

Yes too many co-incidences.

But it isn’t that Parliament hasn’t sought the right advice and received the correct expert opinion, they just chose to ignore it.

“and therefore it is very clear that the UK is killing many more people via lockdowns and suspended health services than it could possibly save from Covid.”

https://committees.parliament.uk/oralevidence/1099/pdf/

node

SA “The great barrington declaration was not signed by thousands of experts”

This open letter is signed by 699 medical doctors and 2312 medically trained health professionals from Belgium. It criticises every aspect of the pandemic measures, including its justification, effectiveness, harmful side effects, contra-effective masks, inaccurate statistics, vaccine safety and legality, unsound medical and scientific guidance, censorship of alternative views, PCR test reliability, incompatibility with the Hippocratic Oath, and much much more.

See elsewhere on the same website for source notes, an update on the ‘second wave,’ and list of signatories.

Charlie

Great Barrington Declaration

Signatures

“The great barrington declaration was not signed by thousands of experts.”

Yes it was.

“There are ten from England”

There are many more than 10. One Main Signatory, Eleven Co-signatories, Many Thousands of Supporting Signatories.

“none of them a jobbing clinician who is actually treating patients with Covid-19”

Many thousands are practising medics working with Covid patients.

“So it really matters very little whether there are a thousand signatories, it matters what they do to have so much more insight.”

Condescending, resentful twaddle; and what’s with the England hang-up?

3 Primary Signatories
    44 Co-Signatories

Supporting Signatories
    Concerned Citizens: 712,344
    Medical & Public Health Scientists: 13,083
    Medical practitioners: 39,544

SA

Re The Barrington Declaration, yes there are more than ten as they also have a separate listing from the UK of about forty. But the list contains many non-clinical scientists that have nothing to do with direct patient care. I pasted this earlier to show their affiliations, some of them even have none, but the list was removed.

None of those on the UK list dealt directly with Covid patients, there were some oncologists, but their main concern is treating patients with cancer. Actually some of them do not exist on the Medical Directory website and some have retired.

Listen, I do not dispute that other patients suffer and there is a mushrooming of mental health issues. I do not doubt that there is economic hardships but all of this is due to a serious pandemic. These are two separate issues, there is a serious pandemic, actions taken to suppress it will also be harmful but there is little alternative. The other factor of course is the long-term neglect of the health service, privatizations and underfunding that left the NHS ill equipped to deal with the pandemic. But what I hear from you is that the virus is inconsequential. That is what I am arguing here, the virus is real and serious and the PCR is accurate and the numbers are escalating rapidly. And that is what is being denied by the three of you, on the basis of selective information and some signatories who go against the majority of expert opinion in the heart of dealing with the pandemics, and these experts you totally discount in preference of those who just reiterate what you want to believe.

Clark

Dave, 14:18:

“lockdown, […] makes no medical sense, because you can’t stop a respiratory virus from passing through the population”

China has. So has New Zealand. And Singapore, Taiwan, Iceland etc… Also many islands.

Clark

Re: Dave, 06:44 – the article by Toby Young (eugenicist) is hopelessly out of date (September). Yes, a small false positive rate will yield many false positives if used to screen a population in which prevalence is low, but prevalence is now high.

The “issue” was raised by, ahem, Mike “there will be no second wave” Yeadon; I hope we’re all treating his pronouncements with appropriate scepticism these days.

Clark

So the Belgian letter was allegedly signed by 699 doctors. There are 35,000 doctors in Belgium. But so what? How many epidemiologists was it signed by?

Only a small fraction of the letter’s citations are to scientific sources, and many are seriously odd, causing me to doubt the general scientific literacy of the signatories – it looks like a political / PR effort to me, and not even a good one.

But we’re back to “experts” battling like Jedi Knights – Node, how many times? Evidence beats opinion, even “expert” opinion, especially when those “experts” aren’t even in the right field.

And the Belgian letter also is seriously out of date; dated September 5, Belgium’s current wave didn’t start until later that month.

Node, did you post on this thread as “Duck”?

Clark

Charlie, 13:28 – “they had built all the Nightingale hospitals so to obviate that problem they dismantled them blaming it on staff shortages but that was a lie, most nurses are twiddling their thumbs at the moment.”

And yet at 16:23, Charlie cites a Daily Mail article; here are some quotes from it:

‘We had warned of a staffing crisis in ICU before the pandemic. The Government’s didn’t listen.’

– The Nightingales were billed as the solution to stopping hospitals becoming overwhelmed – by providing extra capacity for patients.

– But they are being shuttered as Covid-19 hospitalisations surge past the peak of the first wave, and amid mounting warnings from NHS trusts that they are struggling to cope.

– Professor Steve Hams, chief nurse at Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, told BBC Breakfast today his trust already has 200 Covid-19 patients on its wards – more than triple the 60 they had in April.

– ‘We have seen that exponential rise. We truly are in the eye of the storm at the moment,’ he said. ‘It has probably been one of the most challenging times of my 25-year nursing career but one that I am most proud of.’

– ‘In many ways in the first wave in April we didn’t entirely know what to expect and now we kind of do but this virus seems to be one step ahead of us every time.

– ‘When we get little gains and little wins it’s a real boost for our colleagues. We felt during April that there would be an end to this but actually we’re now seeing a third peak so trying to keep our colleagues and our teams going through this time is just incredibly difficult.

– ‘I think it is fair to say that I – like many of our colleagues across the country – am becoming increasingly exhausted.’

– – – – – – – – –

Of course, you can cherry-pick from anywhere, even the Daily Mail. Dave showed us how above; December 29, at 22:48:

“The Daily Mail dutifully publishes the official narrative, but due to a very large middle-class readership, it also has to tell the truth or suffer the same fate as the Ministry of Truth…”

So anything that supports their story these denialists call “the truth”, and anything that contradicts it they dismiss as “the official narrative” – and that’s how conspiracy theory works!

Clark

Charlie at 18:13, answering SA:

SA – “The great barrington declaration was not signed by thousands of experts.”

Charlie – “Yes it was.”

Really? Thousands of epidemiologists? Because that’s the field they need to be expert in. Not medicine, not general practice, not dentistry; epidemiology, because social restrictions are about preventing the spread of infection, not treating those infected.

node

John P.A. Ioannidis, Professor of Medicine, Epidemiology and Population Health : “The global response to the COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century evidence fiasco”

Clark

Yes, Ioannidis. That’s one epidemiologist. You quote him over and over and over again, so I assume he’s the only one saying what you want to hear; I’m sure if there were two you’d quote them both.

He’s come in for a lot of criticism from his field. I’m not surprised; a load of his work on this has been obviously sloppy, eg. the Stanford study that used a self-selected sample recruited from Facebook adverts and came up with a result around a fifth found by far more rigorous studies, or his paper at WHO that took diverse countries’ mortality statistics at face value* and didn’t bother checking them against the mortality-from-all-causes statistics.

* You lot are always dismissing the UK statistics as corrupted, but even though Ioannidis takes a host of different countries’ statistics at face value, you laud him to the heavens. But then you probably didn’t know because you didn’t bother to read his paper – probably too busy scouring conspiracy theory sites for the next morsel to promote your macabre fiction.

node

Two of the three authors of the Great Barrington Declaration are epidemiologists.

Martin Kulldorff, PhD, is a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and Brigham & Women’s Hospital who develops epidemiological and statistical models to detect infectious disease outbreaks. The epidemiologist has repeatedly said that restrictions for young and healthy people are unwarranted, as the risk of COVID-19 mortality is a thousand times higher for the elderly than it is for youth.

Sunetra Gupta, PhD. Gupta, is a professor of theoretical epidemiology in the department of zoology at Oxford University.
    “We can’t just think about those who are vulnerable to the disease,” Gupta told The Guardian in June. “We have to think about those who are vulnerable to lockdown too. The costs of lockdown are too high at this point.”

Dredd

I had a look at the frontpage co-signers of the the Great Barrington Declaration and found I actually know several of them, either personally or via colleagues who work with them. I wouldn’t fault their professionalism too readily. (In particular Lisa White, Professor of Modelling and Epidemiology at Oxford University, is very sharp, sincere and thorough.) The problem isn’t with their expertise in epidemiology or related branches of medicine; it’s with their lack of expertise in public health policy, sociology and behavioural science. The declaration makes a definitive judgement about the optimum strategy for protecting public health, which depends on many more pragmatic factors than medical science.

In the early days of this pandemic, before the first UK lockdown was proposed, I advocated similar action: i.e. shielding and supporting the vulnerable and letting the virus spread naturally through the healthy population. But I didn’t think it through well enough. Some of my elderly relatives were appalled at the proposal to impose severe restrictions on them while the rest of society continued with their normal lives relatively unimpeded. Extended families would have to be separated according to age and underlying health conditions (many of which would be difficult to identify reliably). Mandatory imposition would constitute a selective disregard of individual freedoms and human rights. It would be a very hard sell. Moreover, it may not even be viable at all, as we know so little about acquired herd immunity to each strain of the virus.

Interestingly, some of its most sanguine supporters on the internet hold views contradictory to the underlying science: e.g. that there is no virus, that testing is unreliable, that the wrong therapies are being applied, that the concept of herd immunity is flawed, and so on. I think they only mention it as a way to cast doubt on scientific consensus and public health policy, or to undermine the rationale for social distancing and lockdown measures. It’s important to keep the scientific consensus and the public health policies separate, because they depend on different domains of reasoning – matters of fact vs matters of concern (aka the ‘is/ought’ dichotomy). Imho, the signatories to the Great Barrington Declaration should confine themselves to telling us facts about the virus and how it spreads, without insisting on a plan of action to tackle it.

node

Dredd
    Your position seems to be that shielding only the vulnerable is the best strategy, but it wouldn’t be fair to “to impose severe restrictions on them while the rest of society continued with their normal lives relatively unimpeded.” Well, why not make it voluntary? Why not let those vulnerable through age or underlying health conditions choose whether or not they are shielded? Without the devastation to our economy caused by total lockdown, our health and social services would be better able to look after them during AND after their isolation. Those same vulnerable people will die of other causes without a strong health care system.

Clark

My friend who went to hospital – third paragraph, here – received her PCR test result yesterday; it was positive. Her initial low blood oxygen level, and an unusual lapse in her memory both suggest this is a true positive. The hospital staff tried reducing her oxygen support and her bloodstream oxygen level remained normal, so they discharged her to return home to her husband, who has not been tested – the hospital needed to do this as it is overwhelmed with cases and this disgusting government has consistently provided zero quarantine facilities. Both of them are considerably older than me so I’m very worried about them.

N_

This is what they call “laying it on thick”. Just get the language in this article in the Heil:

• “Total national lockdown” is “inevitable”
    • Boris “pins everything” on Oxford vaccine
    • “worst daily death toll” since April
    • “Boris Johnson voiced ‘bitter regret'”
    • “brutal new coronavirus restrictions
    • “Hancock tried to soften the blow”
    • “AstraZeneca vaccine approval will end the crisis”
    • “whole country will likely have to be plunged into Tier 4 or a national lockdown”
    • “spiralling infection rates”
    • “stark warning”
    • “‘Cases are rising in a really concerning way”
    • “a ramping-up even further of restrictions”
    • “warned of a new ‘reality’ with mutant Covid rampant”
    • “plunged virtually the whole of England into brutal lockdown”
    • “vaccines now the only hope of escape”
    • “devastating lockdown rules
    • “escalated to Tier 3”
    • “most pupils now shut out until at least January 18”
    • “learn whether they must stay shut indefinitely”
    • “the midst of their own clampdowns”
    • “fears over the more infectious ‘mutant’ strain that is running riot”
    • “hopes for a return to normality now hang on massively scaling up the vaccine rollout”
    • “if the government manages to crank up vaccinations”
    • “‘the virus is really surging'”
    • “‘bitterly regretted’ the harsher restrictions”
    • “virus was spiralling out of control”
    • “two big things happening at once in our fight against Covid – one’s working for us and one’s working against us,’ he said. ‘On the plus side we have got two valid vaccines, and we’re racing to get them out – and on the bad side there is a new strain of the virus which is spreading much faster and surging across the country.'”
    • “redouble our efforts to contain the virus”
    • “‘No-one regrets these measures more bitterly than I do, but we must take firm action now.'”
    • “the sheer pace of the spread of this new variant”
    • “even tougher action in some areas”
    • “‘Unfortunately it is a pretty grim and depressing picture at the moment.'”
    • ‘The situation in the UK is precarious in many parts already, the South East and London,’ he said.
    • “members of the public had ‘just got to play your part from bringing us back from this very dangerous situation’.”
    • “Speculation is also growing about a ‘Tier 5’ crackdown that could include even harsher measures such as a curfew. “
    • “24million people” “are already under the strictest stay-at-home orders”
    • “increasing strains on services due to Covid-19 patient numbers, which have reached their highest levels during the pandemic.”
    • “hard-hit Tier 4 areas”
    • “Professor Jonathan Van-Tam has warned people getting vaccinated against Covid-19 to keep following social distancing rules because there’s no proof the jab stops people transmitting the virus”
    • “An intensive care doctor has blamed ‘badly behaved’ members of the public who refuse to wear masks and wash their hands for the resurgence of the coronavirus”
    • “Critically ill hospital patients in London are being ‘evacuated’ to different parts of the country to free up bed space”

SUMMARY

1) the vaccine is good, our holy Deliverer, the only hope, God in a needle, “Hey Jude”, “Like a Bridge Over Troubled Water”

2) don’t expect freedom: authority figures (“experts”) tell you to stay isolated after you’ve had the vaccine

3) do what you’re told or it’s DEATH DEATH DEATH, and don’t expect anything else ever

4) there are bad antisocial types about, types who REFUSE TO WASH THEIR HANDS (there is the whole of Daily Heilism in a single image)

5) STRICTEST, HARSH, HARD-HIT, RAMPING UP, CRANKING UP, BITTER REGRET, SPIRALLING, SURGING, DEVASTATING, MASSIVE, RUNNING RIOT, PLUNGED, CRISIS, BITTER, VERY DANGEROUS, EVACUATION

6) for middle class administrator sheep-herding types there are other words too, such as “tier”, “exponential”, “restriction”, “members of the public”)

7) you will note there is no promise of peace, tranquillity, good health, sunshine, normality, loveliness, post-war reconstruction, families reunited in a country fit for vaccinated heroes

Clark

“Without the devastation to our economy…”

And this is always the problem; the right always prioritise “the economy” – meaning the current economic regime – above everything else, even to the point of denying reality.

For World War Two, the economy was extensively reconfigured to cope with altered circumstances. This government’s approach would have been disastrous then, it’s disastrous now, and it’s hurtling us towards climate and ecological catastrophe. We need to change the economy.

Clark

N_, if you will read the Daily Mail (and I note from the links in this thread that it seems very popular with the trivialisers, minimisers and conspiracy theorists), that’s the sort of language you’ll inevitably encounter – and not just about covid-19; about everything. The Mail has also been the foremost health-scare rag for decades; just try a site-specific search on “cancer”.

Yes, the Mail is milking this crisis for all it’s got, spinning like a top, but your quotes aren’t essentially wrong; the death rate is rocketing, hospitals are beyond capacity, the new strain is displacing the others because it’s more infectious.

What the Mail won’t say is that the government acted too late. Again. And that’s why all hopes are now pinned on the vaccines.

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,203 total)
  • The topic ‘SARS cov2 and Covid 19’ is closed to new replies.