Pandering to Racism

by craig on June 26, 2013 1:52 pm in Uncategorized

Here in Ghana people are stunned by the announcement that a bond of £3,000 will have to be submitted by visa applicants to the UK, redeemable on return.

It is unpleasant for a nation to be singled out as comprised of particularly untrustworthy individuals against whom special measures are needed.  Theresa May appears quite deliberately to be singling out countries whose citizens are normally black or brown – India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Ghana and Nigeria.  They are all citizens with extremely close ties to the UK.  For example, all of those countries supplied large numbers of men to British armed forces in two World Wars; with little resulting gratitude.

The true level of Britain’s regard for the Commonwealth is disclosed in all its arrogance; citizenship of the Commonwealth countries with the longest link to the UK will become a positive disadvantage in visa application.  Israeli settlers living in Occupied Palestine on the West Bank, incidentally, will still be allowed to enter the UK without any visa at all, despite membership of neither Commonwealth nor EU.  Paradoxical, isn’t it?

The measure shows the arrogant British disdain for these countries – of which India pre-eminently but also Ghana are fast growing and important trading partners.  Undoubtedly Ghana will retaliate with measures which hurt British businesses; many of my good friends are senior Ghanaian politicians, and they are all furious.  The rhetoric the British employ about transformation from colonial status to a modern partnership of equals is exposed for the tissue of lies it has always been.  This is a straightforward racist measure, aimed at securing the racist vote to the Tories.

Not does it make any sense.  If you are intending to enter the UK under false pretences, and have the intent illegally to settle and start a new life there, then £3,000 is scarcely a deterrent given the substantial economic gains you intend to make over the long period you intend to stay.  It will rather seem a good investment; people will find the money.  The people it will deter are those who never intended to overstay.  The extra cash upfront,  to the businessman for a business trip, for the student coming to study, for the tourist will drive them to go elsewhere, to the UK’s net loss.

More cruelly it will deter decent middle class people from coming to see grandchildren in the holidays, from going to the niece’s wedding,  from going to graduation.  Those things will become the prerogative of the wealthy, those with plenty of cash to spare.

This does nothing to deter illegal immigration.  It merely demonstrates populist racism, demonstrates contempt for some of the UK’s best-disposed friends, and demonstrates that the government thinks the right to travel is only for the rich.  It is contemptible.

1. My transistor radio will pick up reception from a transmitter a hundred miles away.

It doesn’t work at all in my car. That’s why you see all those cars with aerials on the outside of them for the radios.

Not sure what point you are making here Fred. Well other than you have crappy radios or your personal car is a Faraday Cage like tank :-) Of course an external area is better but with many cars having the bluetooth antenna integrated into or close to the windscreen – reception is fine inside or outside the car.

If your point was about range, I have no doubt that the NASA Deep Space Network dishes could pickup car bluetooth even if said car was on the moon. They couldn’t pair with it though no matter how much transmitter power they directed at it thanks to speed of light delays.

The reason I am thinking bluetooth is that an incoming cellular connection will be logged by the network. Unless you have your own cellular base-station of course and can convince the car to roam onto your fake network but that would likely have half the neighborhood connecting to your base station which would also leave a trace. Built in car wifi could also be an attack possibility but cracking bluetooth is much easier.

2. Jives, I certainly don’t believe they are recording all bluetooth and wifi everywhere all the time. Wide band recorders certainly exist but unless one was nearby (relatively) with a directional antenna the signal you were looking for would be buried by other closer signals on the same set of frequencies and there is a limit to the ability to dis-entangle that.

3. I’ve deleted the “damned muzzies”/”wog immigration” post. I’d seen it earlier, though it was quite clear the phrases were used sarcastically. However I suspect it was from our old friend English Knight, who has a history of anti-Jewish racism, but doesn’t ever take part in discussions. Thus, it is gone.

4. Anon,

All digital transfers will be logged on your device and uploaded regularly to those interested i’d imagine.

There’s always a footprint.

Always.

5. Jives, I certainly don’t believe they are recording all … wifi everywhere all the time

That’s the job of the Google Streetcar, surely 😉

6. Dreoilin,

Yes it is interesting that a number of experts in the field are saying that they believe the Hastings crash is consistent with a cyber attack. I notice in the crash photos the car front wheel (the one you can see) appears to be pointing straight ahead. I’d be interested to know if steering lock was engaged.

That said a clever attacker would use the car’s collision detect system to trigger steering unlock to remove the evidence as it crashed.

I did read a comment from someone claiming to have worked on the design of even newer car collision avoidance systems. Said they had fun playing with the simulators where they created Kamikaze cars by having them slam into the detected obstacle. Easy to do on a real car fitted with that system they claimed.

Personally I’d be tempted to install a physical cutoff switch if I owned one of these too clever for your own good cars.

By the way if you still have steering control but no brakes and the car running flat out and you can’t get it out of gear, the advice seems to be throw the steering into full lock (left or right). It won’t be pleasant but chances are greater that you will live. So goes the claim anyway.

7. Thanks for your explanation on the UN thread and for clearing up the mess above.

8. Jives,

Yes there would be a stored record in the car of the bluetooth pairing if it physically survived. However all evidence of this can be wiped in the huge amount of time you have (in computer terms to a real-time operating system) between initiating a crash and loss of function of the hardware. Other devices in the area are not likely to have any record of a pairing not involving them unless someone was actively sniffing.

Jon,

Yes, Google still thinks one of my wifi routers is 2 miles away as that’s where it happened to be at the time when the Google street car passed by.5

9. Anon,

I’m sure many interested agencies would have been most feverishly sniffing around Michael Hastings,and had been since he busted a couple of 4 Star Generals…

10. @ Suhayl Saadi– 26 June 6.47PM re “We all know there are rackets. I don’t think this measure will stop those at all. It’ll just stop the honest people.”

Quite so. The measure is a sign of an incompetent bureaucracy / government that has given up trying to control its own borders despite being an island. So it resorts to silly measures whose sole purpose is to con the public into believing that their government is on top of the situation. It may stop the honest people while making things easier for the rackets since the bureaucracy may want to believe that the Bond is the new control measure; thus giving them an excuse to be even more lethargic (and less accountable) than at present. If I were a businessman affected by this bond, I would be looking to take my business elsewhere.

11. Do you mean Bill Murray?, Murray mints?, Andy Murray?

No he means Douglas Murray.

See what you made me do!

Damn I have to wash my keyboard and screen for typing and printing the secret name of the Beelzebub.

12. Jives,

It is certainly possible that some records exist if he was a specific target for collection (which seems highly possible). It might even be possible his car mic was on and transmitting away over the cellular network at impact as such hacks have been demonstrated. Heck it is entirely theoretically possible to have multiple taps into the car at the same time over cell by different agencies – only limited by bandwidth.

But still I think Bluetooth seems a good bet if you have to do it with a moving car and want the best chance of not getting caught.

13. Anon,

The people/agencies who did the hit-if it was a hit-are exactly the same people/agencies who get to do the investigation.

Perfect cover for not getting caught as you can take the investigation in whichever direction yo want i.e. destroy all incrimiating evidence against yourself.

14. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 2:42 pm

@ Jives

“Habbabkuk 7.50am.

So if it’s not direct racism then might it be indirect racism aimed at the Little Englander demographic?

Either way it leaves a sour taste and i can’t believe for a moment the Tory strategists would have somehow missed either potential dimension.”
    ___________

Thank you for that. The sentence I used in my post was “I doubt if this is a racist measure..” and I intended it to cover both direct and indirect racism.

Now, the govts’s intended measure may well leave a sour taste in the mouth of some and a sweet taste in the mouth of others, but I think it would be more constructive and in the spirit of this blog to focus discussion on the issue itself and leave questions of individual’s reactions on the side for the time being. I’m sure you would also thing in this spirit.

I’ll post some more substantive comments later today to complement the substantive comments I’ve already made and I look forward to lots of interesting and informative participation from
    you and other members of this community.

See you later!

15. Jives,

Well certainly elements connected with those doing the investigation could be responsible and may have opportunity but that tends to leave at least suspicions with local police and other investigating agents not connected with causing the crash, if they see evidence of a cover-up. Let’s see where this goes.

Btw,

I went back to check video filmed just after the crash. Witness Jose Rubalcava was asked within minutes of the crash to estimate the car’s speed when it first passed him. In the later interview I linked earlier he said “as fast as it could possibly go” (in Spanish). At the time he said (In English) “Over 100 mph” which is consistent with his later interview.

16. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 2:56 pm

Can I just say that I’m rather astonished, after the recent discussions about this blog and some of its commenters, to find that many of today’s comments are about issues which appear to have nothing to do with the theme of this thread : a lot about whether cars can be guided electronically by someone else and quite a lot of the UK govt’s latest financial and economic proposals and Israel , and then Ed Balls and his wife?

I’m afraid that if this continues, there is a risk that this thread will be disrupted and derailed , and that would be a pity because the subject is interesting .Could I please ask those concerned to focus on the subject of this thread and avoid posting extraneous material?

Thank you.

27 Jun, 2013 - 3:06 pm

Fred
    26 Jun, 2013 – 8:03 pm

“Some of my best friends are poor uneducated people who can’t speak English.”

Which languages do they speak and how do you communicate with them?

Only asking.

18. “Not sure what point you are making here Fred.”

It would be a simple matter for a state security service or even a large security company to rig a car’s control units without any of the fantasy island stuff. They just look up the key’s pseudo random number seed off the database they no doubt have and plug into the diagnostics port.

19. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 3:09 pm

@ Doug Scorgie

Grunts? :)

27 Jun, 2013 - 3:16 pm

O/T but news not covered by the UK media as far as I can find:

NATO expansion?

“Yesterday representatives of Colombia and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) signed an agreement for cooperation and exchange of classified information, “good practice” in the “anti-terrorist” struggle, and against drug trafficking.”

Also see:

21. Easy, car bluetooth devices are not designed to be used at any distance and I don’t believe they can be.

Fred,

Believe what you want but you are wrong.

Dispelling Common Bluetooth Misconceptions

Sep 19th, 2007
    Joshua Wright

Misconception 1: “Bluetooth is a short-range technology”

…By soldering on an external antenna cable, the range of a Bluetooth Class 1 dongle can be extended, allowing an attacker to connect to class 2 devices (intended for a range of 10 meters) from a range of over a mile.

22. What you need is a meaningful occupation*, Hubba – try this:

*not an illegal one, natch.

23. Flaming June at 12.56 p.m. No doubt those links of yours account for why I never got a response from Lambeth Palace about Theresa May’s racism. On 15 March I wrote:

“My church since 2002 has been All Saints, Small Heath. It is a good inner-city church set in a largely Muslim community. At Christmas the mosque opposite the church brought gifts (3 large boxes of Ferrero Rocher chocolates). It was almost as humbling as the stable itself. Our Home Secretary had recently extradited 5 Muslims to Supermax torture chambers in the US. What Theresa May espouses is not a Christian message yet she claims to be an Anglican. I know we should not judge. I know we should pray for our leaders. Unfortunately I have the same respect for her as Jesus had for the usurers at the temple who turned our father’s house into a den of thieves. Therefore I cannot stay silent over the wedge she is driving through our communities. With the deepest respect, neither should you.

I have attacked her Christianity in my latest article for News Junkie Post.

And on 13 May I wrote even more strongly about the church’s tacit support for drones.

“When I Google ‘Archbishop’ and ‘Drones’ Desmond Tutu keeps cropping up with a clear condemnation of the evil use of these devices (drones) to kill people thousands of miles away from the comfort and safety of an air-conditioned office, but there appears to be no message from Lambeth Palace, from the Anglican church, or from yourself. As an Anglican myself (All Saints, Small Heath, Birmingham) I should like to know what my church’s views are in a clear unequivocal statement. It is inconceivable that a Christian church condones the use of drones, but I live in a world which never ceases to surprise me. If there is no statement from Lambeth Palace I can only assume that the silence gives tacit support for these killing machines. Silence is complicity. Jesus stopped the stoning of a woman caught in the act of adultery with a clear statement. You are his disciple. I call on you to speak in similarly Christian terms.

I realise you cannot answer every question raised by every person who contacts you, but your office has yet to answer one of my emails and this is a matter of life and death.”

I think in my heart I am a Quaker.

24. And car’s are generally even more powerful Class 1 not Class 2. It is no problem at all to bluetooth pair with a car a mile away. The maximum claim I have seen is 10 miles but I cannot verify that.

Why 10 miles? All is needed is a model airplane as a relay station.

Authorities said in a statement that the investigation is focusing on two men of Tunisian origin. They are suspected of having sought to acquire information and equipment necessary to carry out “radical Islamist explosive attacks using remote controlled airplanes,”

German Police Shoot Down Model Plane Terror Plot

Does this mean soon all the toy shops and craft shops will have a security guard frisking the punters, and checking their carrier bags and interrogating them;

Why do they need a model airplane?

Do you intend to loan the model airplane to anyone?

Do you know any Muslims?

Have you ever been a Muslim, or are you intending to become a Muslim?

McCarthy does not get a look in.

25. Flaming June

27 Jun, 2013 - 4:01 pm

Welcome to the world and South Africa Mr President.

South Africa High Court War Crimes Case against US President Barack Obama
    By Global Research News
    Global Research, June 27, 2013

Lawyers will continue to pursue the case against Obama in the courts

The Muslim Lawyers Association (MLA) brought an application to court on Tuesday, 25 June 2013, to charge US President Barack Obama with a number of crimes, before he enters South Africa on Friday, 28 June 2013.

26. Flaming June

27 Jun, 2013 - 4:16 pm

It will make a change if Obama follows ‘legal channels’ in the light of Kill By Drone policy.

This is on his hunt for Edward Snowden.

Obama refuses to barter for Edward Snowden

‘Speaking on a visit to the West African nation of Senegal, Mr Obama also said the case would be dealt with through routine legal channels.’

I did not know you could barter for human bodies. I thought it applied to goods and inanimate objects, namely:

Definition of BARTER
    intransitive verb
    : to trade by exchanging one commodity for another

transitive verb
    : to trade or exchange by or as if by bartering .

27 Jun, 2013 - 4:18 pm

I don’t know what to make of Richard Clarke. That statement was on Debka and Alex Jones, when i saw it yesterday. I can’t tell what role he is playing; middleman?

General Alexander invoked MacArthur the other day and I wonder wtf he was trying to say.

A civilian controlled (heh, theoretically) military sticks in a lot of throats. Petraeus, McChrystal?

28. Ben,

This is the original source for the Clarke quote although you’ve probably already seen it – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/24/michael-hastings-car-hacked_n_3492339.html

“I’m not a conspiracy guy. In fact, I’ve spent most of my life knocking down conspiracy theories,” said Clarke, who ran afoul of the second Bush administration when he criticized the decision to invade Iraq after 9/11. “But my rule has always been you don’t knock down a conspiracy theory until you can prove it [wrong]. And in the case of Michael Hastings, what evidence is available publicly is consistent with a car cyber attack. And the problem with that is you can’t prove it.”

Clarke said the Los Angeles Police Department likely wouldn’t have the expertise to trace such an attack. “I think you’d probably need the very best of the U.S. government intelligence or law enforcement officials to discover it.”

27 Jun, 2013 - 4:27 pm

I saw something wrt Elise Jordan, Hastings widow yesterday but it was a cryptic few words.

Then there’s this; http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/06/25/wife-hastings-wasnt-reporting-on-jill-kelley/

She’s a journalist, and I thought she would be out front on the COD and his whereabouts that morning. Weird.

27 Jun, 2013 - 4:35 pm

Yes, Anon. Salon, a big Obot hangout, is dissing the theory, but with the same available facts.

It’s a trust issue, or anti-conspiracy, which is a kind of reverse conspiracy theory.

Clarke may just be previewing and promoting a new book.

31. Passerby,

Some of the increasingly affordable multi rotor things can autonomously hold station with GPS, act as a relay and downlink live video. Will fly back to home base on its own if it has to.

You can order for immediate delivery.

32. Flaming June

27 Jun, 2013 - 4:40 pm

This is ‘leafy Surrey’ in Poison Gove’s constituency, Quite telling? But of course, we are all IT together.

Gove’s constituency is next to Hunt’s which is next to Milton’s, then Raab and Lord. In fact the whole of Surrey is Tory controlled.

The Guildford Tories are being coy about their dinner for Liam Fox the other night. No photos on their website and no press report. Are they ashamed to admit they invited him to be a guest speaker?

27 Jun, 2013 - 4:42 pm

After SCOTUS stole the last 3 days headlines with VRA shutdown and ending DOMA, the continental media and bloggers are all about that.

All politics is local.

Where are the hard-core investigatory journalists/bloggers?

‘Out to lunch’ is the sign on the door, but in the backroom, masturbatory exercises reign.

27 Jun, 2013 - 4:43 pm

This kind of investigation can’t be conducted from the keyboard.

Some genuine shoe-leather needs to be sacrificed.

35. Ben,

Yes.Interesting times indeed when a former anti-terrorist tsar begins to sound like a tin-foil hat alumni…

Many formerly immobile positions are being re-defined and difficult choices are being made.

Divisions are growing and omerta beginning to crack amongst the 33rd degree crew.

This has got a long way to run yet…

36. Ben 4.42pm,

Any chance you can decrypt those US acronyms for us limeys?

Cheers :.)

37. Ben,

It’s OK no need…i’ve found them out.

Thanks.

38. Bozo Agonistes

27 Jun, 2013 - 5:19 pm

Ha ha, legal channels. Snowden’s perils-of-Pauline plotline is holding the world’s attention nicely as the humiliation mounts for the Alexander junta and its cringing rubber-stamp legislature.

Putin’s practically strangling with suppressed delight at being able to uphold Helsinki Accords Basket III principles on freedom of movement against the US police state. The US beat Russia over the head with Basket III for more than a decade.

And as for Ecuador, “Ecuador has signed all the human rights instruments of the Hemisphere and is fully committed to the rule of law and the fundamental principles of international law.” Them’s fightin’ words for a state like the US that shits on the CCPR, runs from the CESCR, has disgraced the OAS nearly out of existence, and resorted to neo-Soviet obstruction to escape the Rome Statute. US government Big Shots – all they got is the threat of economic sanctions that are themselves illegal under UN Charter Articles 33 and 41.

China, Hongkong, Venezuela, Germany, and Cuba got their licks in, variously citing US violations of the law on privacy, torture, freedom of information, and foreign interference. It’s almost cruel, like baiting a chained, toothless, declawed bear.

Impotent. Discredited. A laughingstock. USA! USA! USA!

27 Jun, 2013 - 5:33 pm

Jives; I’m not completely discounting the sincerity of Clarke. Snowden was in the fold, and saw the light emanating from a tiny crack. It’s just difficult to assign credibility with so many players whose heart condition is speculative. Motive is a hard one to call with such little info.

Bozo; Putin is having a grand time with it, for sure. He’s the godfather of his criminal state, and he’s liking the company of the US.

27 Jun, 2013 - 5:36 pm

I’m sure Greenwald is taking steps. This cautionary tale is the MO for repression.
    (JIves; MO-method of operation :)

41. This just to show what one has to put up with in Norfolk. This is the non football section of the Pink Un forum, a hotbed of Canary fans who now and then get bored stiff over politics.

This from JG on the subject of Edward Snowden and the NSA/GCHQ spying on us issue. we clash over issues such as immigration and religion and and….often, JG thinks that he’s the police man on the Pink’Un. His rider is priceless.

“I have been thinking about all this Big Brother malarky and have come to the conclusion that it’s a good thing.

I believe that everyone should be micro-chipped as it has huge advantages;

If you are in an accident and have no ID on you the paramedics just need to scan your microchip to retrieve your medical details from the NHS database.

If the microchips are linked into Satellite trackers crime would be reduced overnight and all those illegal immigrants would not be able to move without being rounded up and deported.

I don’t know why the Government does not push ahead with this technology, as a law-abiding citizen I’m all for it.
    ——————————————————-
    Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

27 Jun, 2013 - 6:09 pm

Technically they weren’t lying (Clapper et al) when they protested ‘We’re not listening to your phone calls or reading all your emails”

Present tense, notwithstanidng.

“”The internet metadata collection program authorized by the Fisa court was discontinued in 2011 for operational and resource reasons and has not been restarted,” Shawn Turner, the Obama administration’s director of communications for National Intelligence, said in a statement to the Guardian.”

43. “Believe what you want but you are wrong.”

Come back when you’ve actually done it and tell me that.

Come back when you have successfully hacked into a car’s bluetooth from a mile away and changed the firmware on the ecu and abs.

44. “This does nothing to deter illegal immigration. It merely demonstrates populist racism, demonstrates contempt for some of the UK’s best-disposed friends, and demonstrates that the government thinks the right to travel is only for the rich. It is contemptible.”

I think that’s exactly spot on all those accounts ; to single out people from only certain countries is basic racial profiling, essentially inherent discrimination, and contra to the principle of universal human rights and freedoms, which is what we as a country agreed to abide by when we voted for adoption of “The Universal Declaration” at the UN.

45. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 6:17 pm

46. “Excellent news in that the judge at the Oxford Crown Court trial of the 5 men (reported as being of “Pakistani and North African heritage” has just sentenced the individuals concerned to life sentences for the grooming, beating, raping and trafficking of a number of young, vulnerable girls (some as young as 12). Subject to correction, I’m sure that all readers will also be delighted.”

That is good news.

Any word on the Ian Brady tribunal yet?

27 Jun, 2013 - 6:28 pm

Sexual proclivities are the provenance of the security services. Greenwald has already addressed.

They have the access and the funding to do the dirt.

27 Jun, 2013 - 6:34 pm

Matt Taibbi; Another proud member of the GONZO tradition.

“So New York Times Dealbook writer Andrew Ross Sorkin has apologized to journalist Glenn Greenwald for saying he’d “almost arrest” him, for his supposed aid and comfort of NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. “I veered into hyperbole,” was Sorkin’s explanation.”

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/hey-msm-all-journalism-is-advocacy-journalism-20130627#ixzz2XRHgFNPd
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

49. “That is good news.

Any word on the Ian Brady tribunal yet?”

No, but I did see this piece of other good news;

27 Jun, 2013 - 6:50 pm

The Guardian seems to be all in with Greenwald…huzzah !

Warning; 51 page PDF-(those with vision issues beware)

51. Bozo crowned with thorns

27 Jun, 2013 - 6:52 pm

and the great thing about Putin, BF, as Russia relinquished superpower status it embraced great-power status, and now Putin might be the world’s leading advocate of humanitarian law among heads of state. Russia has been reading the UN Charter to the USA since the Seventies, and now again they’re on the same page as the victims of US aggression.

Russia’s criminal as in corrupt, sure, same as USA USA USA. But much of the repression Putin gets attacked for in the NATO bloc press is an unresolved tension about foreign support of rights defenders. On the one hand, freedom of association and information can’t stop at the border. On the other hand, distortion of rights and organized vilification are recognized forms of foreign interference (in A/RES/36/103), and the US government uses them to weaponize foreign NGOs. So the principles on rights defenders take no position on foreign support. Take Pussy Riot’s US support: is it principled affiliation of civil society and the public at large, or state dirty tricks as a pretext for great-power confrontation? It’s a longstanding question: CIA and DIA were up Scharansky’s butt.

27 Jun, 2013 - 6:59 pm

” Take Pussy Riot’s US support: is it principled affiliation of civil society and the public at large, or state dirty tricks as a pretext for great-power confrontation?”

Yes, there was a lot of high-fives in the US over Pussy Riot, and for a lot of the wrong reasons, as you imply.

Violating the sanctity of the Orthodox church was as bold and ‘in your face’ non-violent resistance as you can get. But I think the religious fervor was a cover for Putin’s embarrassment and THAT was the reason for detention.

53. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 7:01 pm

@ Macky (18h47)

“No, but I did see this piece of other good news;

______________

I’m sure you’ll be pleased to hear that I entirely agree. It is always good when undesirables are kept out of the country, be they illegal immigrants or Zionist hate-mongers.

54. “No, but I did see this piece of other good news;”

It’s good news week, I see the half brother of a prominent Tory MP has just been nabbed for child sex abuse.

55. Yuval Eichhhhhhhhhmann

27 Jun, 2013 - 7:06 pm

56. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 7:17 pm

@ Macky

Welcome back, Macky, and thank you for posting on-topic again at 18h13.

“..is contra the principle of universal human rights and freedoms, which is what we as a country agreed to abide by when we voted for adoption of “The Universal Declaration” at the UN.”

If what you say is correct then this would indeed be extremely disturbing.

So disturbing that I’m rather surprised that Craig, who’s no novice in matters of international law, didn’t pick up on this in his introductory post(or subsequently).

Perhaps it was just an oversight on his part, or perhaps you are more of an expert than he!

For us non-experts in international law (and indeed for Craig), would you mind just to expand a little bit on this and tell us which provisions of the Universal Declaration on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms would be violated by the government’s proposed measures against over-staying?

Thank you again, and I look forward to your info.

57. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 7:23 pm

@ Jives

“You know exactly what im talking about”
    ____________

No, I honestly don’t. Please do set out what you are talking about. Don’t be shy!

I just thought that everyone would be delighted that vicious paedophiles had got their just desserts. Surely I’m not mistaken? Aren’t you also delighted, personally?

58. Flaming June

27 Jun, 2013 - 7:46 pm

Walsall arrest on mosque bomb. It was referred to as an explosive device previously.

Man, 75, arrested over Walsall mosque bomb

27 Jun, 2013 - 7:51 pm

60. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 8:02 pm

@ Jives

I really think it would be better if you followed Jon’s good words of advice (or warning) and dropped the insults and intemperate language. They do nothing for your image and neither do they add lustre to this blog. Aren’t you worried about getting deleted?

BTW, you still haven’t come out and said what exactly what you mean. How am I using “horrific child abuse as leverage”? Leverage for or against what? I really don’t know why you’re being so cryptic.

[Mod: refers to posts that are now deleted]

61. Flaming June

27 Jun, 2013 - 8:05 pm

Well said UKDave on Medialens.

BBC Question time last week
    Posted by UKdave on June 27, 2013, 4:12 pm

Here is a letter I sent to Guardian about BBC failure to ask Melanie Phillips on Question Time what she meant by ” Neutralising Iran”

Dear Editor,

Your reporter, Michael White, does a grave disservice to Boris Johnson in his review of last night’s Question Time [“Russell rules Question Timey-wime”]. He says that Boris made a remark about ‘neutralising Iran’ whereas, to my recollection, it was the Zionist ‘jihadist’, cuddly Melanie Phillips, who made that sinister and outrageous remark. However, none of the participants, including the chair David Dimbleby, asked her to explain exactly what she meant by this suggestion. Given her record as an ultra-uncritical supporter of Israel a reasonable bystander might infer that she meant the current Israeli policy of bombing Iran back to the Stone Age if it does not immediately cease the perfectly legal activity of enriching uranium.

The BBC is a public broadcaster and so it has a duty to critically question remarks made on air that could be interpreted as an incitement to war-criminality on a colossal scale. Phillips may be able to get away with making such remarks in the pages of Daily Mail, a paper that supported Mosley’s fascists in 1930s, but not surely on BBC Television.

In contrast to the hysterical paranoia of Melanie Phillips over Iran Boris Johnson was eminently sensible in questioning the validity and efficacy of the underlying motive of the West (i.e. US-Israel) for regime change in Iran. He also, if in muted tones, disagreed with Cameron’s policy on arming the so-called ‘rebels’ in Syria, the majority of whom are now Islamists of various stripes. So Michael White is also wrong to say that he was “loyal-ish to Cameron”.

Finally, White makes no mention in his review of the most worrying exchange on Question Time. A member of the audience, who said he was a paid up Lib-Dem member, repeated asked Lib-Dem cabinet minister Ed Davey for assurances that no weapons would be supplied to the Syrian rebels without a vote in Parliament. He received no such assurance; rather he was told, each time he asked, that there would 21 June 2013 be a vote in Parliament if ‘military action’ was proposed- not the same thing at all.

Yours sincerely

62. “It might be of interest to note that had these offences occurred in the countries of the “heritage” of the convicted persons, they would now be preparing to face their maker. ”

Unfortunately so would the victims, or they might just get a 100 lashes if the judge was feeling lenient.

63. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 8:18 pm

@ Fred (18h25)

“Any word on the Ian Brady tribunal yet?”

It appears that my brief and polite reply to your question has already been deleted, so I’ll just give you the gist of it, which was
    1/. I haven’t heard anything
    2/. Try asking Flaming June as she always follows the news very closely.

NOTE TO MODERATOR

Why do you delete my post and leave the 3 posts from Jives, which are full of personal insults? Does Flaming June get special treatment from you?

64. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 8:21 pm

@ Kempe

I fear you might be right.

I should have made myself clearer by writing what I had originally meant to but then didn’t…

27 Jun, 2013 - 8:44 pm

Nevermind
    27 Jun, 2013 – 4:43 pm

“This man is as dangerous as Pol Pot, not to name the usual he wants to erase Gaza.”

It has been my view for many years that once Israel has overrun the West Bank and re-named it Judea and Samaria they will come back for Gaza.

The disengagement plan was only intended to be temporary.

66. Did anyone see this article in today’s Mail? I confess I don’t normally read it.

Has Habbabkuk seen it?

Digressing from the topic at hand, especially onto sensitive topics. Not necessarily overtly argumentative, this tactic frustrates its targets with its pointlessness and circularity. Digression onto sensitive topics triggers the strongest reactions.

67. @Jives, re “Trying to stir the pot here by using horrific child abuse as leverage is beneath contempt”

He has form on this score;

“Would anyone, I wonder, share my view that the perpetrators should, after they have served their sentences, be deported to the country(countries) whence they or their forefathers came so that they could practice their bestial predilections on young girls of their own country and religion?”

As does Villager, who gave this early warnning of an affinity to Habby Clown;

“Macky, i think Habbab has a point about ” it was those gangs who were in fact behaving in a racist manner by targetting – exclusively – viulnerable girls whom they considered to be white khaffar trash.”

68. Ben Franklin -Machine Gun Preacher (unleaded version) 27 Jun, 2013 – 6:59 pm
    “Yes, there was a lot of high-fives in the US over Pussy Riot, and for a lot of the wrong reasons…”

From hollywood to the nme, the clamour to support Pussy Riot was an ugly gaggle of publicity hungry hypocrits. Pussy Riot’s radical politics were not discussed. Just lots of preening, vain people bemoaning the loss of an artistic freedom they do not exercise themselves.

Here, there was even a “debate” in a houses of parliament room, chaired by minor musician Jon Robb and sponsored by labour mp Kerry McCarthy. This forum, condemning the lack of free speech in Russia, was held the same day Trenton Oldfield was imprisoned for his boat race demonstration. Oldfield was not mentioned and the one attempt to broaden the discussion to include UK issues was refused. Of course you won’t hear that on punknews.

69. Habbabkuk, given that we probably need to reduce some of the intemperate exchanges here, an implication from you that some regulars on this board might be in favour of rape or child abuse isn’t helpful. Do discuss the topic, but without the snark please.

I should also be grateful if you would reduce the number of times you try to engage discussion with Flaming June. She has made it perfectly clear she does not wish to interact with you, as is her right. I deleted your last contribution since you made another sideways dig at her. If you haven’t seen it, I have added some personal thoughts on moderation on the UN thread (if you wish to discuss, please do so there).

Jives and others, please don’t rise to the bait. Not posting at all is sometimes a better response.

27 Jun, 2013 - 9:34 pm

Phil; Oldfield is a dissident, for sure. Putin made an appearance at the church and took communion to give credence to the ‘blasphemy’ charges.

To be fair to the public who seem to have swallowed the flounder, they are unfamiliar with performance art, or public displays of dissidence.

71. Flaming June

27 Jun, 2013 - 9:42 pm

The BBC are employing this creature

to write this jeering mocking piece on Edward Snowden.

Snowden case: 10 things to pack when you are a fugitive
    By Tara McKelvey
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23035469 – BBC News Magazine

Her twitter announces it and also confirms that she is one and the same in the Wikipedia entry.

[Mod: link fixed]

72. I read on the Landdestroyer blog that Pussy Riot were financed from the USA – National Endowment for Democracy. I also read that they have never either written or recorded any songs.

73. Mary,

That link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23035469 – BBC News Magazine says 404 – page not found.

[Mod: link fixed, thanks Dreoilin]

27 Jun, 2013 - 9:49 pm

And their music truly sucks, Dreoilin. That’s performance art for you; impromptu and totally unrehearsed, but their effectiveness is not daunted.

75. I read about some of their exploits, Ben. And I was pretty disgusted. I haven’t heard any of their music, so I can’t really comment. I’ll take your word for it!

27 Jun, 2013 - 9:55 pm

Their goal is to shake things up, Dreoilin. I think the public orgies went too far, but then i remember Hippies and public sex, which was a statement of those times. Sometimes you have to break on through to the other side.

77. Thanks for the link, Kempe.

Dear god is right … You wouldn’t travel to see them, would you.

Got to go, g’night all

78. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 10:05 pm

@ Kempe (21h51)

Isn’t it wonderful what scientists can get robots to do? Why, they almost look human!

79. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 10:25 pm

@ Jon

1/. Thank you for deleting the abusive posts directed against me. I still think, however, that it would be good if you were to leave the name of the poster and then wrote “deleted” (and the reason) next to it. In this example, it would serve to remind readers that there were THREE such posts and that they were ABUSIVE. Readers – especially new readers – should know who is being abusive and how often, don’t you think?

2/. You misunderstand the thrust of my post on the “Oxford 5”, which was not to hint that some other posters were in favour of child abuse/rape but to draw attention to what might seem to be a certain one-sidedness in their concern about children – loud when it’s Muslim Afghan children accidently killed by an American drone but silence when it’s British kids deliberately misused and tortured by Muslims. Perhaps I was too sibtle and should have said this directly.

3/. Re Flaming June : since several commenters have accused me of never wanting to discuss but only to disrupt, I’m anxious that they should respond to some discussion-friendly points I’ve made. I’m naturally very keen that Flaming June, who is one of my chief accusers (dozens of accusations that I’m a troll), should show that she is actually on this blog to discuss.

4/. Yes, I have seen your post on the other thread. I may come back to you on it (there, as you suggest).

Best!

80. Dreoilin 27 Jun, 2013 – 9:45 pm
    “I read on the Landdestroyer blog that Pussy Riot were financed from the USA – National Endowment for Democracy. I also read that they have never either written or recorded any songs.”

Well I’m sure the financing accusation is made and cannot be proved either way. If true it was a sweet cheap deal for the cia. These people lived as outcasts. Personally I think the convincingly real radical background of members of the collective challenges this rumour. I have seen nothing that suggests these backgrounds are invented. But I would be interested in any links you have.

Perhaps this was recorded in Langley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ednNI_Q3nEA

Ben Franklin -Machine Gun Preacher (unleaded version) 27 Jun, 2013 – 9:49 pm
    “And their music truly sucks.”

Dreoilin 27 Jun, 2013 – 9:52 pm
    “I read about some of their exploits, Ben. And I was pretty disgusted.”

Kempe 27 Jun, 2013 – 9:51 pm
    “Dear God…”

You fuddy duddies! I think you are missing the point. They do not exist to make good records. They exist to upset and challeng our mores/religion/conventions. They are born of a radical tradition from Guy Debord to Malcolm MacClaren to Tuppy Owens.

81. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

27 Jun, 2013 - 10:38 pm

@ Macky

Good to see you’re around and posting. Did you see my question about the Universal Declaration on Human Rights (my post to you at 19h17 – any chance of you finding a moment or two to answer, do you think? After all, it would be a serious matter if the UK were to be in breach of that Convention as you claim. Thanks!

27 Jun, 2013 - 10:44 pm

I am not a fuddy-duddy, Phil, just because I have numerous aches and pains and consume Ensure.

I have transcended old age (ouch)

83. Baitonhook

While you got distracted, the entire contents of your can of smelly, wriggly fly-worms has escaped across the floor.

84. @Ben
    I had to google Ensure. Now I need to buy some.

85. The West Has Jailed Many For Similar or Lesser Offenses (Pussy Riot):

similar cases have played out in the West – minus the feigned indignation over the perceived violation of free speech of alleged bigots, racists, and hooligans that have preceded “Pussy Riot.” In many cases, the West has actively pursued not only people harassing others and creating public disturbances, but also those distributing material to like minded people who’s beliefs are simply perceived as “socially harmful.”

Pair jailed for web race crimes

Simon Sheppard, 51, of Selby in North Yorkshire, received four years and 10 months, and Stephen Whittle, 42, of Preston, two years and four months.

The men printed leaflets and controlled US websites featuring racist material.

They fled to the US after being convicted at Leeds Crown Court last year, but failed in an asylum bid.

Do as I fucking say! Don’t do as I fucking do!

Hypocrisy abound Billy fourteen pints has gone Australia, turning all arse about tits, he drones on about; “We don’t spy on our people we protect them”, it is the “repressive regimes that spy on their people in secret”!!!!!! Toxic sludge is good for your health for certain!

27 Jun, 2013 - 11:22 pm

I was joking about the Ensure, Phil. Who knows what’s in it? It used to be primarily for those in Hospice who have difficulty eating solid food, now it’s marketed to everyone.

As for the aches and pains; that’s real.

27 Jun, 2013 - 11:45 pm

This is gonna hurt. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/06/wikileaks-mole/

“hordarson was long time volunteer for WikiLeaks with direct access to Assange and a key position as an organizer in the group. With his cold war-style embassy walk-in, he became something else: the first known FBI informant inside WikiLeaks. For the next three months, Thordarson served two masters, working for the secret-spilling website and simultaneously spilling its secrets to the U.S. government in exchange, he says, for a total of about $5,000. The FBI flew him internationally four times for debriefings, including one trip to Washington D.C., and on the last meeting obtained from Thordarson eight hard drives packed with chat logs, video and other data from WikiLeaks.”

88. A supermarket whistle-blower working in the cultured cream of Sainsbury has explained to me the next generation of ‘Big Brother’ supermarket innovations in ‘spying on learning your habits’ tools.

Missing data for instance from disloyal customers that pay by cash and those accomplished enough to steer offers their way by using multiple loyalty cards will be snapshot retained and stored by digital face recognition on entry and tracked automatically round the store. Watch you are looking at? That information is of course in addition to the data the store has from your(Nectar)card already:

Testing and trials are ongoing/completed. Proposed implementation – 2015 in selected towns and cities.

89. “any chance of you finding a moment or two to answer”

Everything in their right order dear Clown; remember this outstanding matter that you have rudely being avoiding ever since KOWM addressed it to you several days ago, despite my recent reminders, as even earlier on this very thread:

“Since you are so keen for a discussion, I maybe should remind you again that it’s at least three times you said that you would respond to KOWN’s post about the accusation frequently made by yourself & one or two others, that there is a predominately ‘anti-West narrative’ here on this Board. I really think that as you often cite this as justification for the way you conduct yourself here, you should “man up” & engage, otherwise people will draw certain conclusions as to why you only want to debate with FJ/Mary.

Here to help get you started is what KOWN posted;

““No, I genuinely don’t believe in the existence of the ‘anti-West narrative’ that you frequently inveigh against. I do think most posters on this thread are united by disgust and anger for much of what the West does, but that is not the same thing. As for the examples you cite – mistreatment of women in India, for example – I think the reason people don’t post on such issues is simply that these things are universally condemned and hardly worth the effort of pointing out on a forum where it can be tacitly assumed most people are on the same page. What gets people’s goat here, I submit without a trace of faux-naivety, is those instances where there is a chasm between the cruel things the west does and the way they are laundered and perfumed by such organs as the BBC.”

By the way did you have a look at the link provided by Aidworker1 ? Here’s a couple of highlights;

“Hypocriticising, especially for a fault that the critic then displays him/herself. A simple tactic, often this is pedantic criticism of grammar, spelling or punctuation in a post which itself contains proof-reading errors to provoke exasperated responses from others.

Antipathising, by taking up an alienating position by asking pseudo-naive questions, for example. This tactic is heavily reliant on deceiving the group it is aimed at and covertly manipulates egos, sensitivities, morals and feelings of guilt, usually to trigger emotional responses. It can also create moral dilemmas.”

Strangely but strongly familiar to you ?

90. @Aidworker1. 8 47pm

Thanks.

“Digressing…Hypocratising…Antipathising.”

Has anyone found any published guidance for “Grooming”?
    That is, cultivating allies by posting several sympathetic posts (usually devoid of new info) to attract allies before seeking to discredit selected individuals with ad hominem attacks. Divide and rule.

It took me a while to notice this tactic and it still unsettles me.

Any defectors out there to post a professional’s handbook?

91. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!)

28 Jun, 2013 - 6:57 am

@ JON (Moderator)

In this connection, I wonder what your reaction would have been to the following three posts, made in the last 12 hours or so, if they had been penned by me :

– Guano at 22h57 on 27/06
    – Macky at 00h25 today
    (possibly) Kibo Noh at 02h19 today?

I

92. Flaming June

28 Jun, 2013 - 7:35 am

Dreoilin The link to the nasty Tara McKelvey piece ref Edward Snowden just worked for me. Perhaps they were updating it or something.

27 June 2013 Last updated at 00:06
    Snowden case: 10 things to pack when you are a fugitive
    By Tara McKelvey

93. Flaming June

28 Jun, 2013 - 8:01 am

The list of Professor’s subjects for study did not include B.Liar and others war criminals of this century.

Henry VIII Would Be A Modern Day Psychopath
    Having two of your wives beheaded could be enough evidence to prove Henry VIII was a psychopath – but it’s now official.

94. Flaming June

28 Jun, 2013 - 8:11 am

I did not watch it but it would appear that there was a loaded question about Edward Snowden on last night’s QT. Did anyone else see it.

This is a repost from Medialens.

Posted by Mark D. on June 28, 2013, 12:18 am

Twitter: BBC Question Time ‏@bbcquestiontime

From the QT office: BBC Question Time ‏@bbcquestiontime 7m

Luckily timed, the next question – Edward Snowden: hero or villain? #bbcqt
    Retweeted by BBC News (UK)

My reply:

Your question is a disgraceful act of pro-US servility — equivalent to ‘Woodward+Bernstein: heroes or villains?’

M.
    __________

The panel in Newcastle was – David Willetts, Liz Kendall, Simon Hughes, Mark Steel and Jill Kirby.

95. Another one of these rainy summer days ahead I can’t say how much I value the randomness on here, the staccato news delivery and sleuthing by many posters here.

I think it would be terrible to act up on the incessant clarion calls calling for regimental change here, when the blog has achieved what it has without it and on its own inertia, exactly due to the mix of issues it carries.

Surely I’m not the only one who detests point scoring, and to watch posters contributions being changed to ‘deleted’ or such hierarchical pedantry, making it clear that their post was not accepted, for whatever reason, just leaves a bad taste and could discourage a first time poster who went over the top with his/her first post, just to shock.

The incessant undermining of blog posters, followed by same sole effort trying to change structure and resolve categorising posters into A, B and poor little C who got deleted, has disrupted this blog.

It has changed the dynamic of past posters, playing them off against each other, forming cliques and contributing very little.

If it likes it here so much, why change us, what is the impetus and how come there is no better leader of the pack here?
    Secondly, reforming what one can’t abide by is normal, but to do it when one is explicitly opposed to much what is written here must hurt at times.

Craig will make the decision, or none, to change/reform/abolish the blog, whether it carries ads or not, its is not up to us here to change this and I can’t see somehow that it is one of Craig’s family members, so what the flying Farraday is going on in its head, I don’t know.

96. In general, I’m in favour of letting posters write whatever they want, with the exception (perhaps) of simple obscenities or mindless personal attacks devoid of real (preferably on-topic) content. And I realise that the task of judgement often involves threading a very fine line.

– Guano at 22h57 on 27/06
    – Macky at 00h25 today
    (possibly) Kibo Noh at 02h19 today?

At last, something you’re in favour of!

Still, supposing Jon has smothered a yawn and actually read your request for special treatment (don’t think he’d have done anything about those posts if you’d written them except perhaps wondered what brand of coffee was responsible for your apparent leap in IQ, btw, but I wouldn’t presume to anticipate him) he’ll maybe note that you ask a lot of leading questions but answer no substantial ones, that there is strong evidence of your grooming, stalking and gratuitously flaming posters, and that you are generally as disruptive as anyone you complain about.

If you can’t take it, don’t hand it out, sport.

97. And another point, it, indeed all of us, have been clearly told/asked by the moderator not to invoke his name in discussions, which, off course, was like a red red to a very small bull, for it to evoke Jon’s name every time a deletion has occurred, going against the moderators wishes and further destabilising this blog.

Nan nan nahnahnaaa, how childish is that?