War Criminals on TV

by craig on January 13, 2014 11:15 am in Uncategorized

Seeing Tony Blair speaking at Ariel Sharon’s Funeral – one war criminal eulogising another – was so horrifying it has jolted this blog back out of retirement.  There may be no justice, but there can be truth.

1. Would it be possible/fair/collegial to link this blog to Squonk?

Hilarity has seemingly returned here, lovwly…

“They don’t all have black moustaches and high leather boots on. Oh dear. It’s so confusing for these pre-senile adults to understand.”
    ??????

2. Whatever definition of anti-Semitism Daniel Rich cared to employ the quenelle and its chief proponent clearly fit the definition.

No Guano – anti Semitism and anti Zionism are not the same thing – it is you and Daniel Rich that are seeking to establish a false equality rather than me trying to create a false dichotomy – the dichotomy is totally real and then trying to divert attention from the point by your distorted thinking as to my views on Syria.

Apart from Nevermind – I note others continue to sit on the fence.

3. Lord rennards return to the Lib Dem fold, once again wanting to spread his weight on the unsuspecting party members, literally speaking, will no doubt fire up the imagination of the public to vote for them.

Hundreds of mothers will now push their offspring to join the Lib Dems and get active under such beneficial leadership, who knows how to divert attention away from its sexist ways covering up alledged harrasment, wont’t they?

This will destroy the Lib Dems, not to say we should have pity with any of the political parties rapidly loosing support everywhere.

Leave them standing and organise your own candidates, yawn,…. or don’t talk about it.

4. WB Craig. I have yet to see, despite raising the subject with three potentially interested media and another player, any reference to what are almost certainly Blair’s shell companies in Gibraltar, and probably intended to disinfect cash transfers further afield. Of Blair in a kippah, eulogising Sharon….words fail me completely.

NB, counter to the Orthodox account for public consumption, Sharon’s stated intention in evacuating Gaza was to keep the peace process in aspic, not to promote it. This is documented.

5. “Apart from Nevermind – I note others continue to sit on the fence.”

Can’t decide which cow pat to tread in.

6. Fred

Easy to be anti Zionist and still condemn the quenelle, its chief promoter and other forms of anti-Semitism.

7. The legacy of Bush and Blair. May they both and their cadres rot in hell.

‘Col. Warren tells TMZ, “The actions that are depicted in these photos are not in any way representative of the honorable, professional service of the 2 1/2 million service members who went to war in Iraq and Afghanistan in the last decade.”’

Tell that to the marines, Col Warren.

8. So Mary wishes all the following to rot in hell:

All members of the US Armed Forces while Bush was in power
    All members of the UK Armed Forces while Blair was in power
    All Republican Party members while Bush was in power
    All Labour Party members while Blair was in power.

9. ESLO
    No, they are not the same thing. That’s why your question deliberately conflated them. Yawn.

10. Extremely Stupid Lazy Old …. Troll…. Habbabkuk!!!

11. @Guano

And meantime, the inventors of the quenelle, (sounds a bit like Chanel but more fragrant) have been ramming the anti-Zionist-”side” message home.

And I suppose you would say that the inventors behaviours and sickening quotes are not in any way anti-Semitic and in no way conflate anti Semitism and anti Zionism?

12. Worth catching Josh Fox’s films on fracking, “Gasland”. Part 1 is available now on Utube and Part 2 is out on DVD.

Native Americans redux.

13. Thanks for bringing the quenelle to my attention, Hab. I’d never heard of it. I realise now that straightening out my right hand while rubbing my shoulder in order to relieve mouse-induced RSI is in fact the vile action of one whose sympathies lie with Himmler. I really must watch it in future.

But seriously, Hab, why are you here? You could perhaps save yourself some annoyance by answering clearly, immediately and truthfully. What is your gripe with Craig?

14. Habba isn’t here yet – I have no gripe with Craig – he has been fairly clear in the past that he expects anti semites and holocaust deniers to be challenged and ridiculed, probably because he believes that they damage and enhance the causes in which he believes. Others here obviously take a different view.

15. …yet…. And why are you here? As a self-appointed policeman on behalf of the Simon Wiesenthal Foundation? Because that’s what it looks like.

16. At last, I can again unburden myself on the best blog in town! If I’d known AlcAnon had set one up, I would have been there in a trice.

Welcome back Craig and all the good guys. Here’s hoping for a frank exchange of views that stays on the right side of the law…

Avi Shlaim in the Guardian pretty much nailed Sharon, unless I am much mistaken, which is more than possible. That’ll do for a starter…

17. “The word ‘antisemitism’ [in its current form] is an Apartheid word, because it embraces only a select few and excludes all others.

Those who use it [in its current form] indirectly or willingly, support Apartheid.”

a·part·heid – noun

1. (in the Republic of South Africa) a rigid policy of segregation of the nonwhite population.

2. any system or practice that separates people according to race, caste, etc.

Killing the messenger does not change the message.

()sponsored by the ‘Free Pollard Now Society of NJ.’

18. Oh dear. Some sad news.

Great actor, socialist, peace campaigner and radicalist and only 69. There is a saying that the good die young. Some others are kept alive as corpses for some unknown reason.

Roger Lloyd Pack, star of Only Fools and Horses, dies aged 69

19. Uzbek in the UK

16 Jan, 2014 - 3:40 pm

As I mentioned earlier this forum has been missing some very important developments in Uzbekistan.

It seems that major role in Gulnara fall is played by Russians. Among other things Kremlin had not forgotten troubles caused by Karimova to its largest mobile networks – MTS. Russians (current FSB run Russian establishment) still have very tight and powerful connections to Uzbek SNB (former KGB). It is very likely that considering Karimov’s ill health and his (very possible) departure from throne in 2015, Kremlin is trying to secure a loyal successor. One of the key liaisons between Kremlin and SNB at present day is Alisher Usmanov. In her tweets Gulnara mentioned Uslamov’s involvement few times. It is believed that Usmanov will play major role in post-karimov’s Uzbekistan. He will either be given official post in the government (less likely) or will be power broker behind curtains (more likely). In addition to Usmanov there are few other Russian oligarchs of Uzbek origin who are promised high returns by Kremlin for their loyalty to Russia and offered support through official and unofficial channels.

20. US Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (USACBI)

Academic Delegation to Palestine Endures 10-Hour Interrogation by Israeli Security

For Immediate Release:
    On January 12, 2014, a delegation of six academics and a labor activist traveled from Jordan to Palestine through the Israeli checkpoint. The delegation is led by Professor Rabab Abdulhadi of San Francisco State University and is meeting with Palestinian academics to better understand conditions on the ground and to facilitate future collaborations. Four members of the delegation, including Abdulhadi and Professor Junaid Rana of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, were held at the checkpoint and interrogated by Israeli security, the Ministry of the Interior, and the military, for over ten hours.

Perhaps the Professors are terrorists!

21. Daniel Rich

Just because I believe it is wrong to show prejudice, hatred of, or discrimination against Jews (or other groups for that matter) it does not follow that I support apartheid (including the wider definition that you give) and I highly resent your inference that I do.

22. Roger Lloyd Pack supported grass root homeless and youth groups in London without any of the craving for recognition that comes with most celebrity. Top bloke.

23. A poet too Phil.

24. RIP Trigger, we will miss you, top bloke indeed.

25. Great to see you back blogging, Craig. I was a bit worried about your health.

I didn’t know about AlcAnon’s blog either.

A note to anyone previously in email contact with me:

I have switched to a Mac. And although I had saved my address book from the other laptop, and even printed it out, I’ve now lost all my email addresses. So email me – I can’t email anyone!

26. Reciting Wilfrid Owen’s Strange Meeting at an anti war protest in 2012.

At the launch of the UK Don’t Attack Iran Campaign on 28 January 2012, held at a rally outside the US Embassy in London, actor Roger Lloyd Pack gave a powerful reading of Strange Meeting by First World War poet Wilfred Owen, one of the most famous anti-war poems ever written.

16 Jan, 2014 - 5:36 pm

ESLO
    16 Jan, 2014 – 9:27 am
    “No Guano – anti Semitism and anti Zionism are not the same thing – it is you and Daniel Rich that are seeking to establish a false equality rather than me…”

ESLO I’m glad you agree that anti-Zionism is not anti-Semitism but Jewish Zionists would disagree with you.

“Jewish communal failure to stem the tide against Israel on American campuses has many causes; among the more important is a flawed understanding of anti-Israelism, which is a new and quite different form of anti-Semitism, and which requires a unique response.”

Charles Jacobs. http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Op-Ed-Contributors/Boycotters-on-the-couch-338074

“I think the line between anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism is getting thinner all the time.”

Brendan O’neill. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100227161/anti-zionists-claim-to-be-completely-different-to-anti-semites-but-theres-one-key-thing-they-have-in-common/

“Anti-Zionism is an inherently anti-Semitic doctrine. In calling for the fall of the Jewish state, anti-Zionists are engaged in a racist endeavour. Jews should feel no hesitation whatsoever in calling out those who challenge Israel’s right to exist as anti-Semites, with all the attendant implications.”

Eylon Aslan-Levy. http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/the-trouble-with-anti-zionism/

28. In Sharon’s time. He was the Israeli PM 2001-2006. He succeeded Ehud Barak and preceded Ehud Olmert.

Israeli WMD Institute Used Soldiers as Guinea Pigs in Untested Anthrax Experiment

by Richard Silverstein
    January 14, 2014

A six year struggle by a group of IDF soldiers and officers for justice has ended with the State agreeing to pay them $6-million (Yossi Melman’s Hebrew story and the English version, which has been replaced on the Jerusalem Post site by a far more IDF-friendly story by Yaakov Lapin) for their participation in a medical experiment conducted under false pretenses. Between 1999-2005, the ministry of defense, IDF, and the Israeli chemical and biological weapons institute at Nes Ziona collaborated with their American counterparts in research to find a suitable anthrax vaccine. This was the period just after the U.S. “white powder” letter scare in which several Americans were infected with anthrax and died.

29. FFS this site is going to fold if all discussions lead to cries of anti-semitism or other idiocy. I feel like banging my head against a wall, and I imagine various others (including Craig) feel similarly. The only alternative is to ban some of the trolls. And they really are trolls – they are here to upset the discussions.

This isn’t a freedom of speech/expression issue, it’s about being able to hold a conversation without being railroaded into the same tired arguments we’ve seen here time and time again. Why should they have opportunity to do this? I’m all for accommodating people with different points of view, but not if they make no effort to get into the spirit of the discussion. Is it better for all discussions to descend into chaos than to ban a few people who were largely here to stir things up anyway?

30. IF Rabin had not been assassinated, would the situation vis a vis the Palestinians be better, different or just the same? There seemed more humanity about him than the others.

‘After the historical handshake with Yasser Arafat, Rabin said, on behalf of the Israeli people: “We who have fought against you, the Palestinians, we say to you today, in a loud and a clear voice, enough of blood and tears … enough!” During this term of office, Rabin also oversaw the signing of the Israel-Jordan Treaty of Peace in 1994.’

“ Military cemeteries in every corner of the world are silent testimony to the failure of national leaders to sanctify human life. ” — Yitzhak Rabin, 1994 Nobel Peace Prize lecture.

Yitzhak Rabin, Shimon Peres and Yasser Arafat receiving the Nobel Peace Prize following the Oslo Accords Photo

For his role in the creation of the Oslo Accords, Rabin was awarded the 1994 Nobel Peace Prize, along with Yasser Arafat and Shimon Peres. The Accords greatly divided Israeli society, with some seeing Rabin as a hero for advancing the cause of peace and some seeing him as a traitor for giving away land they viewed as rightfully belonging to Israel. Many Israelis on the right wing often blame him for Jewish deaths in terror attacks, attributing them to the Oslo agreements.

The assassin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yigal_Amir

31. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

16 Jan, 2014 - 8:51 pm

@ ESLO

“Habba isn’t here yet”

Here I am! Sorry to see that Komodo accused you of being me, but you probably know by now that the Eminences are in the habit of accusing people with whom they disagree of being Habbabkuk. It’s a cheap tactic, but of course much easier than actually engaging with the argument, and a comforting way of denying to oneself that there is more than one person on this blog who doesn’t swallow all of the guff posted here.

“I have no gripe with Craig”

That is good. Nor do I – and more importantly, I have no reason to believe that Craig Murray has a gripe with me. That’s probably because his IQ, knowledge and experience is of a rather higher order than those of many of his “supporters”.

32. Anon - the troll buster

16 Jan, 2014 - 8:57 pm

@Haemoglobin

“FFS this site is going to fold if all discussions lead to cries of anti-semitism or other idiocy. I feel like banging my head against a wall, and I imagine various others (including Craig) feel similarly. The only alternative is to ban some of the trolls. And they really are trolls – they are here to upset the discussions.”

It is of course classic troll behaviour to dismiss those with whom you disagree of being a troll rather than engaging with their argument. All I can see ESLO did was contest Guano’s view that those promoting the quenelle were anti Semites rather than anti Zionists – a view for which there is a lot of publicly available evidence if you would care to look.

Do you really think it is worth turning a blind eye to anti-Semitism and other bigotry just to advance some other cause?

Doug S

33. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

16 Jan, 2014 - 8:59 pm

@ Haemaglobin

“I’m all for accommodating people with different points of view, but not if they make no effort to get into the spirit of the discussion.”
    ________________

That sounds a little nebulous, even weasely, to me. How exactly would you define the “spirit of the discussion”?

Please offer some thoughts on how, in practice, you would reconcile expressing a “different point of view” with “getting into the spirit of the discussion” and how, in your considered opinion, should the “regular posters/guys” of this blog deal with people whom they have decided are not “in the spirit of the discussion”.

34. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

16 Jan, 2014 - 9:12 pm

“So Mary wishes all the following to rot in hell:

All members of the US Armed Forces while Bush was in power
    All members of the UK Armed Forces while Blair was in power
    All Republican Party members while Bush was in power
    All Labour Party members while Blair was in power.

A tad broad brush I would say – but I suspect that Mary would want to add a few more to her hate list?”

_________________

You are most certainly right, ESLO. She also hates Tories, successful people, women who have “married well” and cyclists who exercise their sport with competitive aim in leafy Surrey.

35. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

16 Jan, 2014 - 9:18 pm

“While you’ve been away, your prediction that Western nations would try to back-track and maintain Assad in power have proved accurate.”
    ____________

I am somewhat astonished, Guano, that you should have neglected to remind avid readers that it was I – Habbabkuk – who first predicted on this blog that the Western powers had no intention of attacking President Assad the Son and, for that matter ( contrary to the frenzied claims of some here), that this was not the start of World War III.

But I forgive you because I know that it is not easy to admit one’s misjudgements and errors of appreciation.

36. Quite a good film explaining how the scam works:

37. “War, Conquest, Famine and DEATH. The four horsemen are coming.”

I’ll try my best to get through it, Herbie, but we’re not off to a good start there!

38. Tony Blair along with George Bush made Johnny Punish’s 2013 list of “Top Ten Most Wanted Global War Criminals”.

17 Jan, 2014 - 3:34 am

Cheers Daniel…

Netanyahu’s demands are largely reflected in the pending Senate bill which is named for its co-sponsors, Republican Sen. Mark Kirk and Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez, each of whom received more campaign money from AIPAC-related political-action committees than any other senatorial candidates during their runs for office – in 2010 and 2012, respectively.

The bill would impose sweeping new sanctions against Tehran if it fails either to comply with the terms of the Nov. 24 accord or reach a comprehensive accord within one year. Such sanctions would also take effect if Iran conducts a test for ballistic missiles with a range exceeding 500 kms or if it is found to have directly or by proxy supported a terrorist attack against U.S. individuals or property.

Rabbi Jack Moline, the director of the National Jewish Democratic Council (NJDC), publicly accused AIPAC of using “strong-arm tactics, essentially threatening people that if they didn’t vote a particular way, that somehow that makes them anti-Israel or means the abandonment of the Jewish community.”

“The bill before the U.S. Senate …will not achieve the denuclearization of Iran,” Goldberg, a self-described “Iran hawk,” wrote in his Bloomberg column this week. “What it could do is move the U.S. closer to war with Iran and, crucially, make Iran appear – even to many of the U.S.’s allies – to be the victim of American intransigence, even aggression.”

Jim Lobe

Also of interest, Re War criminals…

KARMA Rising….

An international campaign to boycott Israeli settlement products has rapidly turned from a distant nuisance into a harsh economic reality for Israeli farmers in the West Bank’s Jordan Valley.

The export-driven income of growers in the valley’s 21 settlements dropped by more than 14 percent, or $29 million, last year, largely because Western European supermarket chains, particularly those in Britain and Scandinavia, are increasingly shunning the area’s peppers, dates, grapes and fresh herbs, settlers say.

40. A sick society, especially Amerika.

The Black Rhinoceros is in danger of becoming extinct due to poaching and loss of habitat. There are said to be less than a thousand in existence.

What does the ‘Dallas Safari Club’ do to aid these beautiful survivors? Put up a permit to shoot one of them for auction to the highest bidder.

The rhino is question is said to be old and dangerous. I know of many war criminals and killers to whom that description applies.

The successful bidder is now receiving death threats. How apposite.

Corey Knowlton is pictured….. I’ve got a high powered rifle and I must kill, kill, kill, kill,……………………….

41. A PS What revolting people. They boast of their kills. They have Tajikistan, Russian and Romanian representatives. Hunting tourism is obviously big business.

Corey Knowlton is here.

42. The latest revelation from Edward Snowden is that the NSA have created Dishfire which allows access by the UK security services.

Edward Snowden: British spies can look at text messages picked up in secret operation by US spooks
    Jan 16, 2014 19:04

America’s National Security Agency has created a secret database called Dishfire which stores messages for future use

[..]
    British spies are able to look at texts scooped up in a secret operation which collects hundreds of millions of messages, former US spy Edward Snowden claims.

America’s National Security Agency (NSA) has created a secret database called Dishfire which stores messages for future use and British spies, who face tough British laws, have been given a back door to exploit that information, it was claimed.

The gangsters-in-charge are still laughing in our faces.

Edward Snowden is joining the board of the Freedom of the Press Foundation next month.

43. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

17 Jan, 2014 - 6:04 am

Good morning, night-owls and early-birds, may the sun shine today!

44. @Mary

And he is now in a country where Freedom of the Press is much more of an issue than it was in his previous home – so we look forward to him raising the issue there. Don’t hold your breath however!

45. @ BrianFujisan,

Occasionally I find little gems online.

Like, ‘Resistance is not an equitable tug-of-war between good and bad, light and darkness; it’s a desperate push against an imbalance to force equity.’

LINK

Compared to the mind-numbing hasbara manure, that is rather refreshing.

46. @ ESLO

“Habba isn’t here yet”

“I have no gripe with Craig”

Much that is of interest here. And the stylistic similarity between your, ESLO’s and even Anon’s posts suggests community if not identity. It was a genuine mistake, and I suggest that your collective tendency to behave like clones explains it fully.

Perhaps you would get a more sympathetic hearing for your criticism of just about everything not posted by your cronies, if you avoided denigrating your targets with ad-hominems such as the one in bold above.

So many questions. But I’ll give you my definition, until you showed up…
    By and large friendly give-and-take among a group of people with loosely similar political sympathies, in which malicious interventions by disruptive posters were deprecated.

If you object to our views, you will be far more at home at order-order.com. If indeed you don’t run it.

47. Unlike Chelsea Manning who was sentenced to 35 years’ confinement and who is now in Fort Leavenworth, Texas, a military prison, Edward Snowden can breathe fresh air and see the sky.

Chelsea has been given the Sam Adams Award which Craig won 1in 2005 as I said before.

Three cheers for a brave human.

How many more years are you going to incarcerate him Obomber? Longer than those poor souls you are still holding at Guantanamo?

Remember Julian too, atill a prisoner of Mrs May and the ConDems.

48. Of course, Craig, the problem remains moderation. Would it be too much of an infringement of your philosophy to insist that comments remain clearly on-topic, and that if they are not, they are deleted? I think that might solve a number of issues.

Now can we all talk about Blair? Or STFU? Thanks.

49. @Daniel Rich

“Time to shut up about antisemitism.”

50. Little bastard was in Vietnam in (?) November. Who knew?

They got the plane pic to prove it.

51. That’s after this:

And after his two previous visits, no doubt on G_CEYL as well.

So did he finally get the contract to take a large slice of someone else’s money while channeling the rest to his new friends?* Google is silent on this.

*I realise this is not the way he might describe it.

52. “Of course, Craig, the problem remains moderation. Would it be too much of an infringement of your philosophy to insist that comments remain clearly on-topic, and that if they are not, they are deleted? I think that might solve a number of issues.”

Well I suppose arguing about whether a deleted post was on topic or off would give us something to talk about.

53. @ Fred:

But it’s not up to either of us, Returning to the topic, this came up while I was still on holiday –

Heaven forfend that the taint of corruption attach itself to the Reverend….

54. The Telegraph has a resume of Blair’s commuting routine. The rich and powerful must surely think of him as the less fortunate regard doorstep salesmen:

(no, he hadn’t done a deal with Vietnam at that point – see above – but I bet he has now.)

55. “I think that could be banned as well. Mod’s decision final. If not like, eff off. No appeals. Maybe ONE preliminary yellow card?”

Ah, a dictatorship.

How exactly were you proposing to ban someone?

56. @ Fred:

Thank you.

Topic:

For those who missed it:

Funny how the Mail transcends its everyday awful journalism when dealing with Blair. And they’ve nailed the coincidental attachment of both Blair and Campbell to Nazarbayev.

57. Ah, a dictatorship

58. “I wasn’t proposing anything. However, IP’s can be blocked if necessary even on this blog. Access can be restricted to registered members if not on this software on other site setups, and disruptive members can be blocked. For instance. But as I say, not my problem. Or yours.”

What about people with dynamic IP, how do you block them?

59. Don’t care. Fuck off*

*Your approach, I believe.

60. A Career Drafted in Blood
    Sharon the Terrorist

by JEFFREY ST. CLAIR and ALEXANDER COCKBURN
    17.1.14

Ariel Sharon was elected prime minister of Israel on February
6, 2001. Some incorrigible optimists then suggested that only a right-wing extremist
 of Sharon’s notoriety would boast the credentials to broker lasting peace
 with the Palestinians.

Maybe so. History
is not devoid of such examples. But Sharon’s record was not encouraging.
 His crucial role in provoking Palestinian uprisings by his excursions
under heavy military protection to holy sites in Jerusalem is well known. A
little more faintly perhaps people recall the verdict of an Israeli commission
of inquiry finding that Sharon bore some responsibility for the dreadful Phalangist
massacres in Palestinian refugee camps outside Beirut.

But in fact
Sharon’s history as a terrorist, with documented participation in what
can be fairly stigmatized as war crimes, goes back to the early 1950s. Here
is a brief resume, culled in part from a two-part series on Sharon in
 the well-respected Hebrew-language Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz

61. “Sorry, missed that. We can have an elected politburo if Craig likes. But someone has to be in charge, don’t they? Don’t they? We’ve seen what happens when they’re not.”

What if we elect someone who doesn’t like you?

The oppressive regime you propose doesn’t sound like much fun at all. Starting a fight to force people to be peaceful doesn’t tend to work. Wouldn’t it be a lot easier if we just started being nice to each other?

62. I am sick of hearing of B.Liar’s money making activities. Perhaps one day there might be one flight too many in that sleek black private jet he uses.

63. Thanks for your refreshing realism Komodo.

Thanks for the link to a very eloquent site, Daniel.

Blair quits as Malawi’s advisor? hmmm must have got something to do with it being a poor country and the air defence radar issue from some years back under Blairs reign, when malawi does not even have an airforce, seems synonimous with this creep jetting around the earth latching on to people’s riches and working the global trade/accounting systems with his lawyers.

Somebody please put some money up for him, lure him into a deep hole somewhere and let him rot.

We are blessed with sunshine in Norfolk this morning and with angry bees polluting the skies above in anticipation of further ruptures to come.

Slightly OT,forgive, the PM is visiting Norfolk in an attempt to electioneer his flock. He knows why they are angry and we know that he is too late, as he was in China, and he’s wasting his time. Its all done to placate UKIP, why they have to play up to the rabid, I do not know.

yesterday two of his worst councillors in Norfolk, Cllr.Allison Thomas of failed children services infamy, and Cllr.Cliff Jordan/gardener, who bought RAF Coltishall without a business plan, a man who bullies his way through local Government, they walked out of a meeting that was set up to change the cabinet system back to a committee system, because they could not get it their way.

These two failed councillors should resign, but Cameron has no control over these rogues.

64. I am sick of hearing of B.Liar’s money making activities. Perhaps one day there might be one flight too many in that sleek black private jet he uses.

You are right you are sick.

65. I still think Blairio is being set up to take the rap.

There’ll necessarily be an all change moment at some stage in the near future and someone will have to be thrown to the wolves to create the impression of justice done. It certainly won’t be an insider.

Media are keeping Blair warm, and in the public eye. It’s remarkable too the way they allow the vicious and venomous comments against him to stand unmoderated. This is quite common where he’s concerned, and they’re always hinting at dubious business deals and whatnot with despotic dictators. I mean, look at this and especially the comments from that holy of holies, Bloomberg itself:

It’s very unfair I know, but that’s the way they work. Didn’t he watch The Sopranos?

I do hope they don’t seize his palaces and treasure as well. Poor Shree.

66. From that link Nevermind.

‘In his new incarnation, Blair is taking on highly paid roles that don’t sit well with Britons still agitated by what they saw as Blair’s foreign adventurism when he was in office.’

See how they let him off. It was not ‘adventurism’. It was a bloody offensive war and occupation in Iraq.

67. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

17 Jan, 2014 - 1:43 pm

@ Komodo

“You asked earlier: “How exactly would you define the “spirit of the discussion”?””
    _____________

Cheers, mate!

68. Uzbek in the UK

17 Jan, 2014 - 1:49 pm

________________________________________________

Mary,

Not to engage in argumental conversation with you, but more to note some thoughts. Snowden is comparatively free in Russia and only comparatively to Chelsea. Russia as you know have very strict registration (propiska) system where every ‘free’ citizen must register with local police. So no prison bars but the freedom in comparative. And air is Russia is not that fresh either. In fact Russia is one of the most polluted countries in the world, the most polluted of G7, 2nd most polluted in G20 and I certainly think that air in Moscow is more polluted than in Texas.

On other more (principal) note I am certainly puzzled by Snowden’s Russian rendezvous. I am puzzled because for someone who put himself at a great risk for the freedom of speech is now effectively locked in the country wich is listed under number 3 as most dangerous country for journalists. Comparatively peaceful Russia (with the exception of occasional slaughter of Chechens and Central Asians driven to Russia by poverty) is a leader by the number of assassinated journalists in the last 20 years. It is certainly not the principal destination for someone who made brave stance to the global spying intelligence. It reminds me the worst of the Cold War where ‘enemy of my enemy is my good friend’ way of politics. I am therefore puzzled by Snowden’s involvement in this dirt.

69. Uzbek I know he is not ‘free’ in terms of our understanding of the word. Remember though how he was being hounded and tracked. Everyone thought he was heading for a South American country but the restrictions on overland flying scotched that. Better Moscow than a disgusting Supermax prison in the ‘land of the free’.

70. ‘Nobody did better out of New Labour than Tony Blair, who’s worth up to £40m and is the owner of seven properties. How the moneybags ex-PM amassed such a fortune is now attracting attention. The investigative Rottweiler Tom Bower is researching a book on Blair’s loot, as are the news hounds Francis Beckett and David Hencke. Kazakhstan should be interesting.’

Can’t imagine anyone wanting to buy or read such books.

71. Uzbek in the UK

17 Jan, 2014 - 2:07 pm

Better Moscow than a disgusting Supermax prison in the ‘land of the free’.
    ____________________________________

It is indeed hard choice. Brings us to the point that freedom is only comparative – everywhere.

On the other hand, I am curious if asked now, would Snowden criticize appalling freedoms of speech in Russia? Or would he make this same choice of lesser of two evils.

72. “His punishment should rightfully be arraignment and sentence for his war crimes at The Hague, that life sentence to be spent in a solitary cell on a cold island with a tape on loop of the screams of the little ones having their dressings removed without anaesthetic. On the wall will be projected endless images of the babies born in Fallujah with gross deformities from the dust filled with depleted uranium that their mummies and daddies ingested and inhaled. That should suffice until he meets his Maker.”

73. “Can’t imagine anyone wanting to buy or read such books.”

I can.

74. Yes, but I didn’t ask you, Komodo. I should prefer the originator of the comment to respond to my question if that’s all the same to you. Bait and switch is so boring….

Cheers, mate!

Tough shit. Be grateful. You don’t even answer my questions.

75. While William “Heir of Churchill” Hague continues to assert that no-one did anything wrong to detainees-

this was published at the end of last year, and he seems not to have read it:

The timeline (Chapter 2) is worth a look. Craig is mentioned re renditions to Uzbekistan, incidentally.

I am wondering how far Straw is likely to go to protect his then boss, Blair, should the shit hit the fan despite the best efforts of US-centric apologists like Hague. Not far, is my guess.

76. “Fred, you have no point, its not serving anyone to argue the toss, we want to exchange information and debate the issues thrown up by Craig, mind bending does not come into it.”

Who is this “we” you refer to?

77. It must be a great source of pain to all those involved in seeking to project their hatred of Tony Blair and Margaret Thatcher that the 99% just don’t appear to have got the message.

Perhaps those seriously interested in changing the World rather than in sounding off their own neuroses might wish to consider.

78. Sorry Fred, in a moment of inane tea induced monging, I dare assumed that there is a collective spirit present here, you’re part of it, unless, off course, you’d like to leave.

79. “Sorry Fred, in a moment of inane tea induced monging, I dare assumed that there is a collective spirit present here, you’re part of it, unless, off course, you’d like to leave.”

A collective spirit? Not seen any evidence of it. Even if there were I doubt they would want to see off topic posts banned.

“A technical observation. Glen Greenwald is not at salon anymore, the link’s going nowhere, so why not replace it with this one….:)”

Off topic.

80. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

17 Jan, 2014 - 4:07 pm

From Nevermind (to ESLO) :

“I dare assumed that there is a collective spirit present here, you’re part of it, unless, off course, you’d like to leave.”

_______________

Says it all really, doesn’t it. Agree with the “community” and place yourself within “the spirit of the discussion” or leave.

Where in history, Nevermind, have we heard that sort of thinking before?

81. Where in history, Nevermind, have we heard that sort of thinking before?

In the Conservative party? In the Daily Mail?

/answered.

82. Habba

Quite clearly they think you, I and other dissenters are all one or part of the same collective (despite obvious differences should they care to look) – because that I’m afraid is how they perceive themselves.

Komodo

The collective spirit argument was of course also the traditional way of dealing with dissent in the USSR – the root of the word soviet is harmony/concord. Totalitarians of all perspectives of course dislike all those who dissent and rock the boat.

83. For clarity, just before I decide that the trolls have won here (congratulations,if only for sheer bloody minded persistence in shutting down free speech) I am all in favour of free speech. I recognise that this is Craig’s blog, and in the interests of another basic freedom – freedom of choice – he can invite anyone or no-one to comment on it, with the full spectrum in between. That’s up to him, not me, not Fred and not Habbabkuks 1,2,3 and 3a. I also note that H1/2/3/3a objects strongly to multiple off-topic posts by another poster. Who might well consider starting her own blog, eh?

So I made a suggestion designed to discourage off-topic posts, rather than primarily to evict posters. And to force us to stick to the subject of Craig’s choosing. Which, in face-to-face conversation would be a routine courtesy. No? You’d spend five seconds listening to a babbling idiot who interjected a description of his breakfast into your real-world discussion of the financial crash? Really? You’d tell him to fuck off. Or, if smaller and weaker, you would yourself fuck off. Whatever.

How this might be implemented is another matter, and one which I see no point, Fred, in discussing in advance of any decision to adopt the suggestion. There are, though, more ways of skinning a computerised cat than you can probably imagine, and blocking IP’s is only one option. DNS clients *can* be blocked.

Anyway, I know I’m talking to myself here, so I may as well do it out loud and not have to type it. Tata.

84. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

17 Jan, 2014 - 4:43 pm

Nevermind to Fred, I should have said.

85. Thank you Komodo 1 or is 2,3,or 37z. Perhaps you could tell us how to work out what is and isn’t on topic here since nearly all of my posts have been responding to comments by members of the collective. If the only topics that should be discussed on this thread are Sharon and Blair then I’m more than happy to stick to that providing the same rule is applied to members of the collective – but if they want to post on other subjects e.g. eulogising the quenelle, arguing that anti-Semitism no longer exists/seeking to define it away, wishing death on those associated with Sharon and Blair then the collective cannot really complain when someone says why they disagree. This is not trolling but responding to what is put in front of me I’m afraid.

86. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

17 Jan, 2014 - 4:51 pm

“Where in history, Nevermind, have we heard that sort of thinking before?

In the Conservative party? In the Daily Mail?

/answered.”
    _________________

No, Komodo, I wasn’t thinking of the Conservative Party or the Daily Mail.

Think again and supply a new answer.

BTW, why don’t you let people speak for themselves? What inner compulsion drives you to answer on behalf of others all the time? You should really have more confidence in their ability to reply themselves, shouldn’t you? After all, are you all not in the same “spirit of the discussion”? Like-minded doughty campaigners for truth and justice?

87. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

17 Jan, 2014 - 4:54 pm

Komodo:

Are you one and the same as Nevermind, whom I quoted?

I refer to the following from you :

“For clarity, just before I decide that the trolls have won here (congratulations,if only for sheer bloody minded persistence in shutting down free speech)”

So you “think” that dissent = an attempt to shut down free speech?

Very peculiar!

88. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

17 Jan, 2014 - 4:57 pm

Komodo:

“So I made a suggestion designed to discourage off-topic posts,…”
    ______________

Would you like to scroll back a little on this thread and tell us the name of the first off-topic poster?

17 Jan, 2014 - 5:04 pm

Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!
    16 Jan, 2014 – 9:18 pm

“I am somewhat astonished, Guano, that you should have neglected to remind avid readers that it was I – Habbabkuk – who first predicted on this blog that the Western powers had no intention of attacking President Assad…”

References please.

90. Perhaps Komodo could count the number of off topic posts that occurred before I responded to one of the more scurillous ones.

17 Jan, 2014 - 5:12 pm

Anon – the troll buster
    16 Jan, 2014 – 8:57 pm
    Says:

“Doug S It seems a very peculiar argument you are developing – lets ignore the difference between anti Semitism and anti Zionism because some Zionists are arguing there is no or minimal difference?”

I wasn’t developing an argument Anon merely making an observation. Surely you can tell the difference.

92. Doug

I can clearly remember Habba making such a comment – perhaps you were hiding under the table expecting WW3 at the time. Perhaps the more important question is what should now be done to relieve the massive humanitarian suffering that is now being faced by Syrians – all those who argued for the do nothing approach are now truly seeing the consequences.

17 Jan, 2014 - 5:44 pm

ESLO
    17 Jan, 2014 – 9:48 am
    “Time to shut up about antisemitism.”

“Will only be too glad to oblige when you and your friends stop spouting it – but until that happy day I regard it as public duty to oppose it and other forms of bigotry.”

94. What does the Quartet ME envoy have to say about these?

Protests against blockade of Gaza
    To mark 5 years since Israel’s massive onslaught against the Palestinian people in Gaza, Palestine Solidarity Campaign are stepping up the campaign for an end to the 6 year blockade of Gaza.

On Friday 17th January 2014 a petition calling for a lifting of the blockade will be presented at Number 10, Downing Street. On Saturday 18th January a protest will be held outside the Israeli Embassy.

The petition will be handed in by:
    Palestinians from Gaza: Mahmoud Sarsak, Palestinian footballer and former prisoner and hunger striker and Haya Al Farra from the Palestinian Mission.

Accompanying them will be:
    PSC patrons: Sir Geoffrey Bindman and Bruce Kent and PSC Chair, Hugh Lanning and Director, Sarah Colborne.

Children burned with cigarettes by Israeli soldiers in illegal settlement

Three Palestinian children were allegedly burned with lit cigarettes and denied access to food, water or toilet facilities after being arrested and detained by Israeli soldiers and police in September, a new report indicates.

Other atrocities are also recorded such as Palestinian prisoners being put in outdoor cages during the recent harsh winter weather.

Blair meanwhile vacated his suite of rooms, the whole of the fourth floor of the Colony Hotel (estimated cost $1.5m per year for five years to accommodate his entourage and staff), in mid 2011 and is now in a new building in Sheikh Jarrah, East Jerusalem. All paid for by the taxpayers of the EU, Norway and the US.

95. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

17 Jan, 2014 - 6:03 pm

@ Scorgie

“References please”
    _________

threads passim. BTW are you not the same Scorgie who once upon a time said he “couldn’t be arsed” to look up the references I supplied? I do believe you are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

“I wasn’t developing an argument Anon….”

____________

Nothing new there, then!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“ESLO there is no anti-Semitism on this site. If it appears then it will be from a Zionist troll attempting to undermine the blog. If you come across any please inform us about it.”
    _______________

Happy to keep on informing you in the future, as in the past, dear boy.

But why does that annoy you so?

17 Jan, 2014 - 6:04 pm

ESLO
    17 Jan, 2014 – 2:10 pm
    To Mary:

“Do you get some sort of perverse pleasure by projecting such punishments on the targets of your hate? All very primitive I’m afraid this “eye for an eye” rubbish!”

97. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

17 Jan, 2014 - 6:06 pm

BTW, why has Mary gone silent?

Could it be that she is still mulling over a devastating answer to the excellent post (including questions) from Uzbek in the UK?

98. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

17 Jan, 2014 - 6:08 pm

@ Scorgie

“ESLO if you disagree with a posters position discuss it and put forward a counter-position using logical argument.”
    ______________

Please stop using words the meaning of which you clearly do not grasp (“counter-argument”, “logical”….)

99. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

17 Jan, 2014 - 6:10 pm

Scorgie

I also recommend the use of the apostrophe where necessary and appropriate!

Reference : your post at 18h04)