The Security State Crushes Ever Tighter

by craig on February 19, 2014 9:29 am in Uncategorized

The disgraceful judges of Britain’s High Court – who have gone along with torture, extraordinary rendition, every single argument for mass surveillance and hiding information from the public, and even secret courts – have ruled that it was lawful for the Home Office to detain David Miranda, a journalist as information he was carrying might in some undefined way, and if communicated to them, aid “terrorists”.

Despite the entire industry, both private and governmental, devoted to whipping up fear, it is plain to pretty well everyone by now that terrorism is about the most unlikely way for you to die.  A car accident is many hundreds of times more likely.  Even drowning in your own bath is more likely.  Where is the massive industry of suppression against baths?

I had dinner inside the Ecuadorian Embassy on Sunday with Julian Assange, who I am happy to say is as fit and well as possible in circumstances of confinement.  Amongst those present was Jesselyn Radack, attorney for, among others, Edward Snowden.  Last week on entering the UK she was pulled over by immigration and interrogated about her clients.  The supposed “immigration officer” already knew who are Jesselyn Radack’s clients.  He insisted aggressively on referring repeatedly to Chelsea Manning as a criminal, to which Jesselyn quietly replied that he was a political prisoner.  But even were we to accept the “immigration officer’s” assertion, the fact that an attorney defends those facing criminal charges is neither new nor until now considered reprehensible and illegitimate.

As various states slide towards totalitarianism, a defining factor is that their populations really don’t notice.  Well, I have noticed.  Have you?

1. “Amerikan Stasi Police State Staring Us In The Face — Paul Craig Roberts”

2. The judgment in full is here-

A couple of comments- our learned friends acknowledge an earlier judgment which states, alarmingly,that under the 2000 Act ‘the definition of ‘terrorism’ was indeed intended to be very wide.’

But, heigh ho, they go on in the next paragraph (para 29) to state-

With great respect, the bare proposition that the definition of terrorism in s.1 is very wide or far reaching does not of itself instruct us very deeply in the proper use of
    Schedule 7.’

How convenient !

Our learned friends also make repeated references to ‘the theft of 58,000 GCGQ documents’ and to ‘stolen GCHQ intelligence’.

Are we therefore to assume, in the light of this statement alleging ‘theft’ on the part of Miranda & Greenwald, that these documents are no longer in GCHQ’s possession ?

The fictional Mr Justice Cocklecarrot’s legal reasoning skills bear favourable comparison to these 3 hacks in the High Court.

3. Terrorism Act 2000 Schedule 7 now licenses the UK securicrats to embark on fishing expeditions-

Btw I meant to write ‘bear favourable comparison to those of these 3 hacks in the High Court’ in the previous post.

4. Chelsea Manning: Sam Adams Award Acceptance Speech, Feb 2014

5. On the day of the seriously dodgy Miranda judgment , how timely it is that, simultaneously, the grubby machinations of our political elite and the Murdoch press, are revealed in their full glory-

6. “Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson on Wednesday ordered the cancellation of a plan by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency to develop a national license-plate tracking system after privacy advocates raised concern about the initiative.

“The order came just days after ICE solicited proposals from companies to compile a database of license-plate information from commercial and law enforcement tag readers. Officials said the database was intended to help apprehend fugitive illegal immigrants, but the plan raised concerns that the movements of ordinary citizens under no criminal suspicion could be scrutinized.”

7. Sections 44, 45, 46 and most of section 47 of the 2000 anti-terror act were repealed by a Remedial Act in 2011 having been declared illegal by the ECHR.

Police officers do not have any right to prevent anyone taking photographs in a public place neither can they delete images without a court order.

8. Kempe, 1:09 am; thanks for that good news. It’s a shame it required the ECHR to overrule those oppressive British laws.

20 Feb, 2014 - 1:40 am

Someone @ 11;58 ..Good one….

I was reading that from a site i visit from time to time…they (Activist Post) are running this Story too.

they A.P have been onto the goings on in Fema Region 3 for many months….

i’m with Clark, and some others Here… when he talks of trying to tell friends what is going on… many of my bunch just don’t want to know…or care.

Some lines from Someone’s link if i may… worth repeating Ye know.

“The Army is being trained for domestic police duties that are in violation of the Posse Comitatus Act that prevents the use of the military for domestic law enforcement, another indication that Washington has no respect for the country’s laws and that Obama and his “Justice” Department have no intention of enforcing the laws of the land or abiding by the Constitution.

Where is the media outcry? Where are the law schools? Where is Congress? A government that disregards the laws of the land is both treasonous and tyrannical. Yet, not a peep from “the free and the brave.”

The US government and its puppet auxiliary, the UK government, have turned with vengeance against whistleblowers and their attorneys. Bradley Manning is in prison, Julian Assange is confined to the Ecuadoran Embassy in London, and Edward Snowden is under Russian protection from a tyrannical US government. Jessellyn Radack, an attorney who represented Snowden was recently detained and questioned in an intimidating way at London’s Heathrow Airport. Washington has taught its British puppet state how to mimic Washington’s Gestapo ways…..

“Julian Assange stated, correctly, “The NSA and its UK accomplices show no respect for the rule of law.” ……

“What has occurred in the US and UK is that the criminal and treasonous acts of both governments have become so extreme that the governments must destroy civil liberty in order to protect themselves from exposure. Whenever you hear “national security” invoked, you know that government is covering up its crimes and its lies…..

“Meanwhile Washington continues the pretense of America as the land of “freedom and democracy” and “concern for human rights,” blah-blah-blah. People all over the world, with the exception of the paid protesters in western Ukraine, are no longer listening to the bullshit flowing from Washington and its presstitute media.”

Link @

10. Craig,

I salute you.

However, my legal career encompasses two death threats and one indication that arson could be inflicted on my home ( i.e. I came home to find electrical cords pulled out of the wall and stripped and fully exposed – well – yes – you can burn my house down – I got the message.)

All we can do is resist and hope that the threats are not carried out – or – maybe if they are – we have already informed more of us to carry on and resist.

ALUTA CONTINUA!

CB

20 Feb, 2014 - 2:05 am

Courtenay

Stay safe out there…wee hero’s both yirself and Craig… And Brave ( i strongly Suspect that Craig has Many unsung hero’s as part of his readership… to each n all Thank you.

12. Yeah, I’ve noticed. My guess is that totalitarianism requires a disguise, and the nature of the disguise doesn’t especially matter. So it can be a charismatic Caesar, it can be ultra-nationalism, Nazism, Italiian Facism, Communism, whatever. It’s still the same old lunatics seeking power and domination. The current disguise is more subtle, and it has to be because the average citizen is far better educated. And the present disguise is managerialism, in my humbe opinion.

In the workplace, I’ve been subjected to bullying managerialism – it’s my way or the highway dickwaving, and is often about ego, and almost every disagreement is personalized, subverted into a challenge to authority. Ditto our current parliamentary system. It’s us and them, and they don’t like us. Any protest is viewed as ‘anti democratic”, and any differing opinion is viewed as ‘extremism’. The language politicians use is leader-speak, and preachy, carefully couched in terms which suggest they know best, and disagreement is silly. It’s pathetic, sure, but also increasingly sinister. In their own minds, they no longer serve the people, they rule, and I’m far from the first to make this observation, I just think it’s becoming more obvious, and extreme.

Monbiot wrote a dreadful article recently, linking Orwell to Al Nusra in Libya. I don’t want to discuss the article, which was a bit poor. But the article noted that Orwell might have gotten 2 years in prison, on his return from fighting in Spain. I took a minute to note on CiF, and now here, that these days you can get a bigger sentence for … a FACEBOOK POST. Check the Google, people have in point of fact gotten more for incitment on Facebook. This is actually genuinely disturbing. We’re talking a few posts, maybe organizing a meeting, here. I know JS Mill talked about incitment of a rioting mob being a crime, but I’m really not sure this has much to do with a stupid Facebook post. For one, how many people actually read this post? Also. Facebook post. I mean, really.

So, yes, the signs are there, have been for a few years now I think. And I’m afraid our judiciary, as well as The Met, appear to be corrupt institutions, who won’t be able to help us, if things truly go awry, for example during a financial collapse which, I fear, looks inevitable.

Perhaps I am being too gloomy, who knows? But i read the newspapers every day, and have to say, it’s hard to be sunny, for sure.

13. half the fules can sleep

20 Feb, 2014 - 7:19 am

Some interesting links above; thanks. This site is a good place to find references for other sources for eg I only heard about Peter Dale Scott from reading these pages. I thought TB’s alleged comments, attributed to him by RB to JM, on topic and sufficient to suggest a tipping point. The fact that only Habba also notes their relevance perhaps I am wrong and that peeps are even more sleepy than I had thought, or perhaps you had all concluded Hutton was a ‘whitewash’ long ago. When Reuters use that word for a sub headline though you have to think Hello can I hear something ……Have a nice day all.

14. Dreoilin

I suspect the reason for the moderation alert is to protect the blog from legal action under new blog legislation which came out in January. Yesterday your friend Mary linked to: http://spyblog.org.uk/ and there is an article there which may be relevant.
    Defamation Act 2013 comes into force 1st Jan 2014 – section 5 Notice threat to anonymous blogging

15. At the risk of repeating myself, I give the link to
    Milton Mayer’s They Thought They Were Free.
    The Germans 1933 -1945

Indented/quoted

“Your friend the baker was right,” said my colleague. “The dictatorship, and the whole process of its coming into being, was above all diverting. It provided an excuse not to think for people who did not want to think anyway. I do not speak of your ‘little men,’ your baker and so on; I speak of my colleagues and myself, learned men, mind you. Most of us did not want to think about fundamental things and never had. There was no need to. Nazism gave us some dreadful, fundamental things to think about—we were decent people—and kept us so busy with continuous changes and ‘crises’ and so fascinated, yes, fascinated, by the machinations of the ‘national enemies,’ without and within, that we had no time to think about these dreadful things that were growing, little by little, all around us. Unconsciously, I suppose, we were grateful. Who wants to think?

“To live in this process is absolutely not to be able to notice it—please try to believe me—unless one has a much greater degree of political awareness, acuity, than most of us had ever had occasion to develop. Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, ‘regretted,’ that, unless one were detached from the whole process from the beginning, unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these ‘little measures’ that no ‘patriotic German’ could resent must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. One day it is over his head.’

There are many parallels.

16. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

20 Feb, 2014 - 8:13 am

Clark / Kempe

To Clark, thank you for the 3 links you provided (on which more below)

To Kempe, thanks for that update.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re Clark’s links:

I looked at these and must say that even without the benefit of Kempe’s updare I didn’t find them very convincing.

The 3rd one is about the USA , not the UK (hence not of great value).

The 2nd one concerns someone video-ing (or photo-ing) at the scene of a crime. Nothing happened to him or his pictures (he was even able to openly record and film his discussion with the two police officers) and the explanation given for why he was asked to give his ‘details’, ie name and address, was that the crime unit had not yet arrived on the scene and that which he was filming was evidence of which the police might wish to avail themselves. In other words, a reasonable enough explanation, it seems to me.

The first one (a Guardian article) actually indirectly confirms what Kempe brought to our attention : towards the end of the article a high-ranking police officer confirms that Article 44 does NOT make the taking of photos on the street, eg at a demonstration, illegal. The article also, by the way, makes it clear that there is a need for better educating the policeman on the ground on the correct application of the (complicated) Terrorism Acts.

I wish everyone a nice day and shall continue to endeavor to stay on-topic.

17. Ba’al Zevul (La Vita è Finita)

20 Feb, 2014 - 8:20 am

‘An answer may come in how people respond to RB’s comments about TB advising on holding a Hutton type enquiry. Gob smacking if it is proved he said it and if people still do not find that their confidence in the system is shaken well then presumably you have to conclude that they deserve the system they get.’

In fairness, that isn’t the system, but people (allegedly, m’lud, allegedly) operating slightly outside it. That News International’s activities are the subject of court proceedings confirms that while the system demands unlimited surveillance rights over the public, it can still question private snooping. I don’t see booking Brooks as totalitarianism. I do see grabbing Miranda under an irrelevant Act as a symptom of totalitarianism. But maybe that isn’t your point…

Blair was (allegedly) offering to act as a private advisor, that is, not as a representative of the State. He has considerable form with Murdoch, who switched his allegiance to help give him the 1998 election. He may owe Rupert a favour or two; Rupe undoubtedly knows where the bodies of his victims are buried. Blair tours the world in a charter jet selling his influence to anyone who can pay – it’s his modus operandi, but it’s not totalitarianism. If it came to court, it would be corruption, and while its extent is worrying, it’s nothing new in British politics.

18. Why do I foul up on the formatting?! Answers on a postcard please.

19. Brendan “Yeah, I’ve noticed. My guess is that totalitarianism requires a disguise, and the nature of the disguise doesn’t especially matter. So it can be a charismatic Caesar, it can be ultra-nationalism, Nazism, Italiian Facism, Communism, whatever. It’s still the same old lunatics seeking power and domination. The current disguise is more subtle, and it has to be because the average citizen is far better educated. And the present disguise is managerialism, in my humbe opinion.

In the workplace, I’ve been subjected to bullying managerialism – it’s my way or the highway dickwaving, and is often about ego, and almost every disagreement is personalized, subverted into a challenge to authority.”

An eloquent description of modern management style. However, if you look at the puppetmasters behind the puppets, i.e.the big political, Masonic screws being crushed into the managers as Craig describes in his post comment, you will see that the manager/puppets, apart from being well-paid, are often very patient, humble individuals who are themselves being very seriously abused.

20. Craig, thanks once again for raising one of the biggest problems facing society today. Why people are so complacent is beyond me. It’s the “I’m all right Jack” society that cares for nothing and nobody except their own comfort, watching television and getting fat. Gradually people are being indoctrinated in a media-led onslaught which makes it impossible for them to see beyond the cloud-screen.

KingofWelshNoir, welcome back. I found it rather ironic that you make your first comment in months that I’ve seen, and Phil (where did he come from?) and people who regularly comment, Dreoilin, attack you for relentlessly hanging around here. While I agree that we should be doing more in way of protest, and I am sure that they were not targeting you KingofWelshNoir it made me smile. Please don’t take offence.

Courtney, stay safe.

Arbed thanks for all the links.

21. Ref BLiar’s advice to the goddess as reported.

It reflects several facets of his paramount psychopathy. Firstly that he believes, in spite of his legal ‘training’ at the Bar, that he can be part of a possible manipulation of a criminal trial/conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. Secondly, that he sees no impropriety in giving such advice as an ex PM to an alleged criminal thus demonstrating his lack of insight and his mountainous view of himself. Thirdly he has shown how he was intent to pervert the course of justice re David Kelly’s death. Still no inquest for the latter of course.

Throwing sand in the faces/illusion/adds complexity.

A suitable case for treatment and/or locking up.

Q. Why was this thrown in right at the end of the prosecution case Regina v Brooks, Brooks et al? What will be revealed over the next months. The case has been ongoing for four months already. Who is paying? Joe Bloggs of course.

22. Clarke 23.06 pm: section 44 Terrorism Act and photography. Thanks for that.

“Craig Mackey, who speaks for the Association of Chief Police Officers on stop-and-search legislation, said he does have sympathy for photographers, but said that part of the problem was that some officers were not aware how best to use the “complex” legislation. He said: “It goes back to the issue of briefing and training of staff and making sure they are clear around the legislation we are asking them to use.

There is no power under Section 44 to stop people taking photographs and we are very clear about getting that message out to forces.”

23. Mary, Tony Blair was being used. For a fee of course.

24. Ba’al Zevul (La Vita è Finita)

20 Feb, 2014 - 8:44 am

Afterthought:

The rot really set in when the fundamental right to silence was removed:

The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, which did this, was Michaellll “Vampire” Howard’s kneejerk response to young people making a lot of noise, and has been repeatedly challenged, unsuccessfully.

Some good advice, not just for photographers, here –

25. Ba’al Zevul (La Vita è Finita)

20 Feb, 2014 - 8:47 am

‘Q. Why was this thrown in right at the end of the prosecution case Regina v Brooks, Brooks et al?’

For the media to enjoy. Linking Blair with Rebekah probably won’t do either of them much good. Like it.

26. Ba’al Zevul (La Vita è Finita)

20 Feb, 2014 - 9:10 am

Memory Lane: How Blair appointed Hutton, instantly –

Can forgive the Mail a lot for this piece. Mind you, there’s a lot to forgive.

27. Ba’al Zevul (La Vita è Finita)

20 Feb, 2014 - 9:18 am

28. John
    Indoctrination is a form of education as the definition states.

Indoctrination is a proven method of controlling opinion with disregard to sentiment.
    Do we have liberty? I thnk so but in regard to sentiment we are inclined to seek self gratification as over ruling our sentimental response to other being which I am sure we do still cling to.

Peace.

29. Following the toothpaste bombs to Sochi terrrrr alert, we hear of a new alert today for shoe bombs on incoming flights to the US.

US Airlines Warned Over Possible Shoe Bombs

Concerns are raised for the second time in less than three weeks over possible attempts to smuggle explosives onto planes.

‘It is the second time in less than three weeks the US government has raised concerns over possible attempts to smuggle explosives onto commercial jetliners.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) declined to discuss specific details about the warning but said it regularly shares relevant information with domestic and international partners.

“Our security apparatus includes a number of measures, both seen and unseen, informed by the latest intelligence and as always DHS continues to adjust security measures to fit an ever evolving threat environment,” the department said in a statement.’

The current head of the Orwellian sounding Department of Homeland Security is Jeh Johnson http://www.dhs.gov/secretary-jeh-johnson
    where it says that he is a member of the neocon ‘think tank’ Council on Foreign Relations – Rubin, Rubenstein, Albright, Rockefeller, Powell. Branches all over the US.

30. Remembering Gerald Berreman
    One Who Raged Against the Machine

by DAVID H. PRICE
    February 19, 2014

A few mornings ago I saw an announcement that anthropologist Gerald Berreman died this last December. Berreman was a professor of anthropology at Berkeley for decades who became an important voice of dissent in the 1960s and 70s, speaking out against anthropologists’ interactions with the CIA and other intelligence agencies, and championing openness in science. Berreman’s early ethnographic work studied caste stratification dynamics in India, and cultural ecology in India and Nepal.

I did not know Professor Berreman well. We occasionally corresponded and both contributed to an American Anthropological Association (AAA) panel on militarism a few years ago, but his writings, his work on the AAA code of ethics, and his political activism have had a significant impact on my work and on generations of anthropologists who followed him. I write this brief salute to Gerry Berreman’s ideas with the simple hope that some new generation of anthropologists and other academics might be drawn to his work (his essays like “The Social responsibility of the Anthropologists,” “Ethics Versus ‘Realism’ in Anthropology,” or his book The Politics of Truth) in this disjointed era where notions of knowledge for the public good have been outsourced to cynical opportunists of capital or state.

Berreman was the real deal, a strong early voice speaking out against anthropologists’ collusion with military and intelligence agencies, playing crucial roles in giving legitimacy to the AAA’s efforts to develop an ethics code during the late 1960s and early 1970s. This was an era when a strong belief in unmitigated science led many to view other cultures as datasets to be explored as needed, but to Berreman, the world was no longer anthropologists’ “laboratory,” but “a community in which we are coparticipants with our informants.”

There was a man who stood up for his principles and beliefs.

31. Apologies if already posted. From the Medialens editors.

Video: Edward Snowden tells Oxford students that Government secrets undermine democracy
    Posted by The Editors on February 20, 2014, 9:42 am

Edward Snowden or, as the Independent calls him, ‘the fugitive from US justice’, recorded this video message for Oxford University students attending an award ceremony for Chelsea Manning:

32. 20 February 2014 Last updated at 10:12
    Breaking news
    Rebekah Brooks cleared of one charge
    Rebekah Brooks acquitted of misconduct in public office at Old Bailey hacking trial – faces further four charges

More to follow.

??

33. I believe Ray McGovern is a friend of Craig’s.

Ray dared to turn his back on Shillary and look what ensued.

Former CIA Analyst Ray McGovern Sues State Dept. For Putting Him on Watch List
    Lawsuit Challenges Brutal Arrest at Clinton speech
    For anti-war beliefs, State Dept. instructed agents to stop and question McGovern on sight

WASHINGTON – February 18 – The Partnership for Civil Justice Fund has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit on behalf of U.S. military veteran and former CIA analyst Ray McGovern against John Kerry, in his capacity as the Secretary of State, and against officers at George Washington University.

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia three years to the date of Mr McGovern’s brutal and false arrest at GWU during a speech of then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. After the arrest, the PCJF uncovered that then 71-year-old McGovern was put on a “Be On the Look-Out” list, and agents were instructed to stop and question him on sight. The reasons cited included his “political activism, primarily anti-war” — a clearly unconstitutional order.

34. .
    I don’t meant to boast because this is definitely not a race, or a competition, but I noticed the sea change in the late 70’s – can’t explain what it is except to say a sort of scent of slow death of humanity – and this tendency has accelerated since around 2000. Strongly reminiscent of Ionesco’s play “Rhinoceros”. It compels me to feel dreadfully alone. But in a paradoxical way, these days I begin to sense solidarity among another souls that are trapped in the same total aloneness.

35. I am re-linking the important Reprieve article which Fred linked earlier about drone-strike victims trying to make NATO countries accountable for complicity in US-led drone-strikes. Although the US itself is not a signatory to the ICC (presumably so it can continue its torture, slaughter and abuse) and because NATO allies are so closely tied to the dollar and serving their master it has a high likelihood of success. I hope everybody here who can afford to do so will support the charity Reprieve which would show they are concerned.

36. Edward Snowden addresses the Oxford Union as part of the Sam Adams awards ceremony on 19th February 2014.

Thanks Dreoilin for the Chelsea Manning: Sam Adams Award Acceptance Speech, Feb 2014

37. Linked four posts above John. Note how the Independent describe him. Disgusting.

38. Ba’al Zevul (La Vita è Finita)

20 Feb, 2014 - 12:38 pm

Reprieve…yeah, but the link from there to the complaint gives me a 404…

39. Ba’al Zevul (La Vita è Finita)

20 Feb, 2014 - 1:18 pm

40. Ba’al Zevul, 12:38 pm, I just spoke to Clemency Wells in Reprieve’s Press Office on the number on the page John Goss linked to; she said she’d get the link to the complaint fixed.

41. You’re welcome Mark

42. Clark, you beat me to it. I got the 404 message too so just rang Reprieve and the man there said they would do something about it.

43. From Edward Snowden’s speech to the Oxford Union:

The foundation of democracy is the consent of the governed. After all, we cannot consent to programmes and policies about which we are never informed. …the decline of democracy begins when the domain of government expands beyond the borders of its public’s knowledge, because when a public is no longer aware of the actions of its officials, is no longer aware of what’s going on behind closed doors, it can no longer hold the most senior members of its society to necessary account for serious wrongdoing, because the evidence of that wrongdoing is itself a secret from them.

20 Feb, 2014 - 2:01 pm

Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!
    19 Feb, 2014 – 3:12 pm

“I read very recently that a Russian opposition figure who also happens to be an environmental campaigner but not a nun or monk either – has just been convicted of various offences arising out of him breaching a perimeter fence somewhere – I think it was at Sochi, actually. Some damage to the fence (obviously) but no damage to anything or anybody else. He got 8 years.”

Search as I may on the internet Habbabkuk, I can find nothing about a Russian male opposition figure, or an environmental campaigner, being arrested for damaging a fence, or any male being given 8 years for such an action, in Sochi or anywhere else in Russia recently.

We know the police in Russia arrest protesters and fit them up on false charges (a bit like our own police) so you don’t need to make stories up as in your quote above.

You could of course prove me wrong by referencing your claims.

45. From Chelsea Manning:

“the [American]government first refused to acknowledge the existence of the documents [regarding the practice of “targeted killing” of American citizens], but later argued that their release could harm national security and were therefore exempt from disclosure.”

A disclosure has been made to interested parties that proper record keeping by the British foreign office in the prelude and preparation of the Iraq war was unsubstantial and unaccountable.

This of course is utter bollocks and that announcement was made under extreme pressure from the White House and the US department of State who are delaying the release while experts in law ‘comb’ the report for anything legislative, congressional or jurisdictive that might lead to a challenge in court that the Iraq war was and is illegal and pre-World Trade Center attack preemptive.

According to Iraq hospital records I hold and information from DoctorsforIraq (thankyou) thousands of Iraq babies including unborn, thousands of infants, toddlers and children under 16 years old were murdered in the pre-Iraq war (secret war) and the initial cruise missile/cluster bomb attacks on Iraq.

Demand the Chilcot Inquiry Report/dossier unabridged and ‘un-dodgy’ be released NOW!

20 Feb, 2014 - 2:22 pm

Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!
    19 Feb, 2014 – 3:49 pm

“Let us note firstly that although there are differences of opinion as to whether the powers contained in Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 1970 are excessive, no case has yet been made – convincingly or otherwise – that those powers are totalitarian.”

It is not the powers themselves that are the problem but how they are applied and often abused by the “authorities”.

47. Ba’al Zevul (La Vita è Finita)

20 Feb, 2014 - 2:24 pm

Looks to me as if ‘the domain of government’ must inevitably ‘expand beyond the borders of its public’s knowledge’ in a complex modern state. Having full public accountability would seem to be unrealisable in practice. If the world were composed of cuddly bunnies, we could probably get rid of the OSA, for example, but it ain’t. What is attainable has to be a compromise.

48. many thanks for the on topic news links to Sweden’s information spring time, Arbed, finally public pressure is having some effect on those who would do anything to get listed on the NYSE. My best wishes to all those who are trying to tell the public prosecutor to act or resign.

‘Hallå Noddy Holder, gå hem till Amerika’

Thanks to someone, Dreolin and Clarke for the excellent links. Political policing has been carried out in Britain and other countries for decades.

Re: CCTV How is it possible that CCTV that should have/did record Mr. Tomlinson being stabbed/pushed with the tip of a baton, at force and it should have/did record the Mets officers shooting Mr. Menezes.

Personally I have seen a Police officer, of the rank of superintendent, turn around as a young women was indecently assaulted by a hired thug working as a security officer in Twyford Down. We were locked on to a buuldozer, and she pleaded with me not to unlock myslef and flatten the bloke, as that was exactly what the police wanted us to do, she suffered a sexual indecent assault for her principles and the secuity guard was never challenged.

Group 4 was allowed to hire anybody for their work and they did. Anybody with a previous record for GBH was welcome to work for them.

It was politicians who coined the phrase ‘ecoterrorism’ in an open attempt to denigrate and finally criminalise environmenmtal protesters under terrorism legislation.

49. sorry for not finishing a sentence. After Menezes it should read’ was never recovered or made public, how come that CCTV, when it suits the authorities, does not work or presents only grainy pictures.

CCTV is not to safeguard the public, but to control it, imho.

50. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/world/europe/ukraine.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

“Eleven bodies were taken to a makeshift morgue at the entrance to Independence Square on Thursday morning and an undetermined number were lying elsewhere. Around 28 people, including police officers, died in clashes earlier this week. The Interior Ministry said 29 police officers had been hospitalized with gunshot wounds.

Demonstrators captured several dozen policemen, whom they marched, dazed and bloodied, toward the center of the square through a crowd of men who heckled and shoved them.

“There will be many dead today,” Anatoly Volk, 38, one of the demonstrators, said. He was watching stretchers carry dead and wounded men down a stairway slick with mud near the Hotel Ukraina.”

Civil war awaits?

51. Civil war awaits?

Yes. If Ms Nuland and Mr Kerry have anything to do with it. Think of how many uprisings have been fomented on several continents.

52. Hague joins in. He has called in the Ukrainian Ambassador.

70 police have been taken hostage by the protesters.

‘Hague: ‘Emphatic protest’ at events in Ukraine 1 hour ago

The Foreign Secretary, William Hague, has said that the situation in Ukraine is “utterly unacceptable and indefensible”.

Speaking ahead of an emergency meeting of EU foreign ministers, Mr Hague said that the Ukrainian government was putting itself at odds with “reasonable opinion all across the world.”‘

It goes like this.

Yanukovych must go. Ditto Assad and Maduro and before them Mubarak, Gaddafi, Saddam and several others whose names I have temporarily forgotten.

53. The judge in the Brooks et al case is Mr Justice Saunders.

These are his sentencing remarks in the case of a RN officer who pleaded guilty of planning to pass secrets to the Russians. He had taken photos of the Crypto code system. He was sentenced to 8 years imprisonment. Never heard much about the case.

54. Gareth Williams, Dr David Kelly, Stephen Ward and Allan Turing, Suicides?

A sneak preview by Mike Lesser of Heathcote Williams new play, Killing Kit.

55. Something that slipped my views three days ago. Congratulations to Glenn Greenwald and Laura Poitras for winning the Polk award, one of the highest prizes one could be given.

For their brave revelations to each and every US citizen, well, all of us really. Their integrity when faced with harrassments is exemplary.
    There is no reason to hold Glenns partner at all, there weren’t any, his mistake was to be the partner of Glenn.

His case is not in the public interest nor should it be pursued any longer, money is tight everywhere and such own goals would not be conducive to anyone’s election propspects.

You just can’t trust judges anymore these days, what is not in the public interest to prosecute in the USA, is hardly a crime here, so why this political farce, fingers wagging, turning David M. into a scapegoat, all their judgement shows is the bendy/stretchyness of the law in hand, pure rubber.

thanks for that preview Dave lawton.

56. Ba’al, I wasn’t and am not suggesting that the arrest of RB was totalitarian. I always try to remain sceptical about anything and everything even if or especially if it supports what I might think, and I am no fan of the Mail although it does have some surprisingly interesting stories (as well as pics). Your link to the Mail story on how Hutton was instructed within three hours of Dr Kelly’s death did raise both my eyebrows. Sorry if off topic but I thought part of the topic was to do with people being asleep to creeping totalitarianism……Reuters’ use of ‘whitewash’ as a paragraph heading in its RB/TB/Hutton story did seem to suggest some sort of mainstream waking up to acts, which if proven might indicate elements of totalitarianism.

57. Lithium in your orange juice vanishes your conscience and speaking the truth vanishes your comments. Fortunately no harm done.

58. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

20 Feb, 2014 - 7:01 pm

Dirty tricks or unannounced moderation?

Several posts from me, posted in the last hour or so, have disappeared.

59. Helena Kennedy explains the problems with the Miranda ruling:

“If someone travelling as part of journalistic work can be lawfully detained like this – questioned for hours without a lawyer present, his electronic equipment confiscated and cloned and all without the merest suspicion of wrongdoing required – then clearly something has gone wrong with the law.

We’ve been here before. Schedule 7 suffers the same glaring flaws as the old section 44 counter-terrorism power that also allowed stop and search without suspicion. Such laws leave themselves wide open to discriminatory misuse: section 44 never once led to a terrorism conviction but was used to stop people like journalist Pennie Quinton. In a significant victory, Liberty took her case to the European court of human rights and the power was declared unlawful.”

People need to understand that it’s the Kafkaesque powers available to border guards that are the pressing problem here.

Anyone can be detained for up to 9 hours at UK border points, without suspicion of an offence having been committed, they must answer all questions put to them, even seemingly irrelevant personal questions, there is no right to silence, and there is no right to have a solicitor provided.

It was this power which was used against Miranda. They couldn’t for example have so detained and questioned him at a police station, or in the street or at his residence, or indeed anywhere else beyond the perimeter of a UK border or entry or exit port.

It is very possible and indeed probable that these powers are as unlawful as Section 44, but we’ll have to wait a few years until the European court gets around to looking at them. In the meantime the UK security state will continue to use them to their heart’s content.

In repeatedly taking to itself such dubious powers, and the UK has plenty of form on that score, it is reasonable to infer that the UK takes a rather instrumental approach to due process, and is determined to game the Law, ignoring the best tenets of jurisprudence, and is now in dire need of a post war exorcism itself.

In the meantime, those who want to travel without let or hindrance could do worse than avoid UK ports, especially when they’re only passing through.

60. @John Goss

Hi John

Thanks for your kind words, nice to see you again.

Yes, I did note with a certain exasperation I was being berated for wasting my time on a comment board by people who were clearly guilty of the same sin.

Point is, I know writing here doesn’t change anything. It’s not meant to. It’s just chewing the fat like talking to your neighbour over the garden fence. Nothing wrong with that.

I also know in my heart why no one does anything against the State oppression: life’s too comfortable. Instead of making Molotov cocktails we’re busy making ones with mini parasols and pineapple chunks on them.

I plead guilty.

61. Perhaps to chime with the anti-Putin anti-Russian propaganda being put out on the media at the moment with Sochi in the headlines, Gordon Correra, the BBC’s Security Correspondent had a long item tonight on the One Show about the KGB in London in the 60s and featuring Oleg Lyalin in particular.

No link to the item. This is his output on the BBC website. Several pieces about Edward Snowden.

62. A case of ‘top secret’ entrapment Mary using 2012 restricted information; sadly.

63. “anti-Putin anti-Russian propaganda” yes Mary while Kiev slides towards civil war and Viktor Yanukovych gets the hand on shoulder from America.

p.s. Job vacancies exist in the Ukraine riot police – SAS training an advantage.

64. Yeah. Some of us noticed at the time of 9/11.

65. KingofWelshNoir 20 Feb, 2014 – 7:23 pm

To some extent I plead guilty too. Much prefer the parasol cocktails to Molotov cocktails (well actually a real ale or glass or two of merlot) but I’ve joined Left Unity. Never thought I’d get political again. Like you, its founder is a writer. You probably know of Ken Loach, who wrote the moving account of homelessness called “Cathy Come Home”. I would support a writer with a social conscience before any politician who pretends to have one. And the poet Václav Havel was rather good for the Czech Republic. I’m not really all that active in that I miss most meetings. But I’ve subscribed because something has to be done before it’s too late. The main parties are useless.

Torture, and complicity in torture, has to be opposed as does the erosion of human rights and removal of rights in the workplace. Lack of progress brings on a desire to drink, and come nine o’clock, that’s what I intend.

Tell me, in your Aberystwyth novels do you mention a church called Holy Trinity? My great grandfather was the church organist there for fourteen years until 1904 when he moved to Sheffield. They presented him with a gold watch and an illuminated certificate. I’ve got the certificate. Wish it had been the watch!

Ah well, nine o’clock.

66. I have had all my comments deleted today except the three spoof ones above.
    Hint: Ukraine is close to Chechnya and Chechens are fighting for UKUSIS in Syria.
    Hint: UK Muslim scholars with historical grudge against the British Raj have failed to condemn predatory sexual exploitation.

I’m not going to be silenced by Muslim pressure groups or Craig or anyone.

67. Maybe someone who speaks the lingo might summarise what the reporter is saying …

Ex Ukrainian Prime Minister Under Timoshenko Caught With Sniper Rifle and Silencer

68. I have noticed.
    But it was when our Police forces stopped being public servants and became political tools that I first noticed the tendencies. That was during the miners strike.
    The establishment supports the Police by letting them off no matter how blatant Police crimes are. Murder, assassination,theft are allowed to pass by our so called “Judges”.
    The same goes for the Politicians…. Aparatchiks….
    The Police have been armed and are slowly being militarised. That can only be bad news for us.
    Protest in Britain is almost a crime. There are so many “no go” area’s plus you have to ask for permission and then have routes assigned.I haven’t been to Speakers Corner for over 20 years, but I doubt any old sod can jump up on an orange box and shout his displeasure at HM Govt anymore. Those days have gone.
    Assange is a prime example of what is wrong with our society. He has been judged guilty by our politicians and police before he has even seen a court.And then there is his very justified fear that it is all an excuse to wheech him off to an orange jump suit in Guantanamo.
    And as for this place just being a talking shop…. so what ? Craig is active ! There might even be a few more on this blog that do their bit too.Habbakuk, you really ought to find a woman or a job.You spend far too much time here.
    Just holding an opinion that is contrary to what they are trying to push down our throats is something.

69. I have noticed:

that our police people now spend a lot of their time stuck in very slow or very fast moving cars, or behind desks, which is bad for the mind and the body.

that it is increasingly usual for our police people to be issued with deadly weapons (see police at airports) or weapons of torture (police being issued with tasars apparently at random) with the apparent approval of our society

and that apparently, according to the dictates of the government that the people have elected, they are from then on expected/required to have to use them if necessary

Perhaps we should be just as cross about what is happening to our police people as to everyone else. Just a thought.

Of course there is a very strong case against needing police people at all – and an interesting one, which is not, entirely, off topic.

70. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

20 Feb, 2014 - 11:11 pm

Who is deleting posts on here and why?

And, for that matter, scattering “your comment is awaiting moderation”s around?

71. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!
    20 Feb, 2014 – 7:01 pm

Dirty tricks or unannounced moderation?

Several posts from me, posted in the last hour or so, have disappeared.
    Who’s getting paranoid now Habbabkuk?

Perhaps there’s a conspiracy afoot.

72. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

20 Feb, 2014 - 11:30 pm

No, that last one’s still here.

73. @ nevermind

I’ve seen CCTV, taken from bus, and on a railway station. It’s reasonable quality, make no mistake. Whatever these grainy images are, I’ve no idea, but I doubt they are the norm. I strongly suspect that there is high quality CCTV pertaining to the Menzies death on the tube, but it’s probably protected under official secret by now. I’ve whined about street-CCTV before, so won’t go on about it. But there is way too much of it.

“Equivalently David Cameron and his coalition have refused to release information compiled by the Chilcot inquiry that documents formal dialogue between then prime minister Tony Blair and President George W Bush some two years before the start of the Iraq war.”

2 years? Forgive my ignorance, but this actually is a surprise to me. I always assumed the dialogue was during the escalation to war, not a whole 2 years before. I’d ask why Cameron won’t release it, but why bother. He loves Blair, and he’s entirely linked to the establishment; so I’m sure he has his reasons.

As to Blair, every so often a story slips out in which his vile mendacity is shown in all it glory. And yet on some level, I keep being surprised, which is foolish of me. Our Tony is clearly a man with very serious problems indeed, and I vaguely wonder if he was sent to a psychologist when he was a teenager, as can happen in middle-class families. That would definitely be an official secret by now.

74. Some of my posts were also deleted. Two enquiring about moderation, and one in reply to John Goss, denying that anyone was “attacking” KingofWelshNoir.

Is it Craig, or is there a new moderator? Or an old moderator returned?

75. Nothing to be concerned about Mr Habbakuk, sir, Ms Dreolin just a security matter. You can always repost or write to the authorities. Move along now please, nothing to see here.

76. As an observer of deleted comments, my own I mean, it occurs to me that where third persons are not directly addressed in response to a comment, especially in a provocative manner it gets deleted. I suspect also that off-topic comments may well be deleted too. I am happy with this if it is applied universally, but that is a difficult task for the mods. Nevertheless, whoever took this decision may save this blog. Thanks.

77. Dreoilin, you responded to Phil, agreeing with him, whereas as far as I know neither he nor KingofWelshNoir had recently been on this blog and Phil’s comment suggested that KingofWelshNoir should spend less time here and more time in active protest. I found it a bit funny. But I think there was a misunderstanding. Don’t worry about it. I hope I’ve clarified things. Good wishes.

78. Perhaps posts have been deleted for being off-topic.

It can’t have been because they’re merely boring.

I posted a tiresomely long boring on-topic piece above on the Miranda decision and it wasn’t deleted.

79. Habbabkuk (19 Feb, 2014 – 11:28 pm) : “Not nit-picking but just a couple of (genuine) queries about your latest.

Actually, one of the reasons I like your posts is because they often contain genuine, if probing and difficult, questions. Let idle assumptions lie, and lord knows where we’d end up. This sort of forced examination keeps us honest :)

My use of the term “group”, as distinct from citizens in general, was to distinguish those people with which the authorities will have a problem (the awkward squad, if you will), in addition to genuine criminals, but minus those criminals who act on behalf of the state. That is a particular subset of the public. Not lawbreakers necessarily, and definitely not the state’s apparatchiks. ( A definition I probably meant to get back to, but had already rambled enough.)

H: “You appear to be suggesting it is also used for other purposes. What do you have in mind?

Identifying individuals, who are opposed to corporate interests, and the direction of the government. Simple as that. Why has any repressive government undertaken enormous efforts to identify malcontents? Why indeed do security services always want unlimited power and information?

Unless we believe our “security” forces sit with the angels, we should be concerned. Would you not agree?

H: “…..unless you mean the [panoply] of UK anti-terrorism laws…? (it’s not clear to me from your text).

Sorry if I was a bit unclear. Yes – that’s more or less what I meant. Sweeping, vague powers which could always be interpreted as defence against “terrorism”. We considered terrorism legislation to prosecute Icelandic banks when they decided to default on dodgy loans. Terrorism legislation is always offered as an absolute last resort, to be used in only the most dire circumstance when being debated into law.

Then it gets used to haul off a vegan chef for reading out the names of dead British soldiers at a London Cenotaph, or to manhandle an 80-year old Labour stalwart for heckling Straw at a Labour party conference. Or for wearing a T-Shirt denouncing our Great Leaders of being war criminals. Or for obstructing business interests, demonstrating for animals rights, failing to abide by Control Orders… the list is fairly extensive. Of course, they are not prosecuted. Except – for instance – when it does, such as in the case of the vegan chef mentioned, who now has a rap of terrorism against her.

She was convicted of breaching Section 132 of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act.

But it doesn’t matter if anyone was actually charged later or not – the chilling effect is there. How many people dared to heckle a lying Labour politician at a conference since? How many people don’t like to show up to completely legal demonstrations, because they don’t want to be on the record as a trouble-maker? Not to mention the brutality of the police which is exceedingly unlikely to be prosecuted, while the mildest defence of oneself most certainly will be.

Let’s take it a step further – would you be happy with a government camera in every room of your house, and if not, why not?

Always interesting – appreciate it!

80. Cheers on your 12:41, Glenn. I’m drawing a pint in your honour.

81. Deleting posts?

What I hope is going on is that someone – Craig? – is deleting without explanation all posts which are primarily about other posters rather than relevant subject matter. If so, we will soon learn that if we want our pearls of wisdom to survive and enlighten the masses, we will have to excercise self-restaint. In short, we are hopefully being trained to stop bitching.
    I hope this post is deleted because it will probably mean I am right.

21 Feb, 2014 - 1:27 am

Nice foto here, of Aaron Kirkhouse accepting the Sam Adams Award for Integrity in Intelligence on behalf of Chelsea Manning,

And oor own Craig in the Thick it

21 Feb, 2014 - 1:28 am

In the Thick Of it

84. Great article and commentary with things that need to be said. But it’s not a security state that we are developing. It’s a secret police state.

@ 19th Fen at 12.31 above – KingofWelshNoir asks what we can do about it. Well, one shouldn’t throw Molotov Cocktails or take any form of violent action. But one can do some things peacefully. Speak out – try and hold our human rights industry and media to account (they are not doing their job) – and don’t vote for any politicians who won’t tackle the secret state.

I recently drafted another paper on Zersetzen – which is the state’s illegal use of its secret police (MI5, MI6, CSIS, etc.) to persecute dissenters and other enemies of power-elites with a program of lies, threats, harassment, intimidation, ostracization, etc. But it is a paper with a difference as it doesn’t use my own example to make its case, but the examples of 25 others. The paper is embedded on a Wiki I drafted which can be accessed by clicking on my signature, or be viewed by pasting in the following URL

The purpose of this paper is to provide examples – precedents – of where Zersetzen / Cointelpro has happened to others (not myself), and to do so in a way that you can check the facts out on the internet for yourself. Some 25 cases of Zersetzen in the UK, Canada and USA are reviewed. Zersetzen seems to be quite common across all the countries that are part of the “five eyes” intelligence agreements. But we are not really talking about intelligence or security – we are talking about control (of the people). We can’t do much; but we can speak out – again and again.

85. This is on-topic for everything, not just this thread. This is the topic to end all topics. This regime has got to go.

86. Saw this. Right. Let’s cut out the courts and trials at a stroke. From arrest to prison cell in one easy step.

Calls for ‘on-the-spot’ justice
    Magistrates should be moved to police stations at peak times to dispense on-the-spot justice, a report by the Policy Exchange think tank says.

Policy Exchange History

Policy Exchange was set up in 2002 by a group including Nicholas Boles (director), Michael Gove (chairman) and Francis Maude. Maude went on to become Minister for the Cabinet Office, and names being one of the co-founders as his proudest political achievement. Gove went on to become Secretary of State for Education.

Gove was succeeded as chairman by Charles Moore, former editor of the Spectator and the Daily Telegraph. In June 2011, Moore stepped down to focus on his newspaper columns and his biography of Margaret Thatcher, and was succeeded by Daniel Finkelstein, associate editor of The Times.

In May 2007, Boles was succeeded as director by Anthony Browne, a journalist and political correspondent for The Times. In September 2008, Browne stepped down to work for Boris Johnson, and was succeeded by Neil O’Brien, formerly director of Open Europe. In November 2012, O’Brien was appointed as a special adviser to George Osborne, and in 2013 he was succeeded by Dean Godson, formerly head of Policy Exchange’s security unit.

Enough said.

On the Charity Commission website, their income for 2012 is stated as £3,224,162 and spending as £2,898,384. Little detail in the accounts as to the source of the income. £2.6m of the total is designated as ‘voluntary income’.

PS Boles is now the Planning Minister.

87. Writing The Snowden Files: ‘The paragraph began to self-delete’
    Was it the NSA? GCHQ? A Russian hacker? Who was secretly reading his book on Snowden while he wrote it, wonders Luke Harding

Luke Harding
    The Guardian, Thursday 20 February 2014

PS He never found out.

88. Pan
    Thank you for that link.

89. Jonangus Mackay

21 Feb, 2014 - 7:39 am

Amok: Jim ‘Puzzle Palace’ Bamford details the uncontrolled cancerous growth of the #NSA. Riveting: http://tinyurl.com/pouql95

NB: Confirmed (1.07 in). Not just ‘5 Eyes: #NSA does indeed shovel
    its raw data to Israel.

90. Ba'al Zevul (etc)

21 Feb, 2014 - 8:10 am

I see a comment of mine was deleted. So I should damn well think. LOL.

91. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella!

21 Feb, 2014 - 8:11 am

Look, I don’t want to make too much of this,

[so it has been made less of]

I’d be reluctant to believe that CM would intervene – or at least, that he would intervene without notification.

[Reams of waffle deleted]

92. Ba'al Zevul (etc)

21 Feb, 2014 - 8:20 am

Old and overlooked US report on counterterrorism measures –

‘A two-year bipartisan investigation by the U. S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations has found that Department of Homeland Security efforts to engage state and local intelligence “fusion centers” has not yielded significant useful information to support federal counterterrorism intelligence efforts.

“It’s troubling that the very ‘fusion’ centers that were designed to share information in a post-9/11 world have become part of the problem. Instead of strengthening our counterterrorism efforts, they have too often wasted money and stepped on Americans’ civil liberties,” said Senator Tom Coburn, the Subcommittee’s ranking member who initiated the investigation….'(continues)

93. How about the Qatar International Academy for Security Studies?? They are interested in ‘COMBATING VIOLENT EXTREMISM’. Really?

Next week in committees.

Tuesday

The Home Affairs Committee (3pm) takes evidence on counter-terrorism, from Richard Barrett of the Qatar International Academy for Security Studies and The Soufan Group, which provides strategic security intelligence services to governments and multinational organizations.

Then at 3.30pm the switch to their inquiry into the performance to date of the new elected Police and Crime Commissioners, with evidence from Ann Barnes, the Police and Crime Commissioner in Kent , and her Chief Constable Alan Pughsley.

Then (4pm) they hear from the Police Minister Damian Green – usually the last act in a select committee inquiry.

Ali Soufan, ex FBI, is on the same Qatari QIASS set up. Many other of the names too.

94. Ba'al Zevul (etc)

21 Feb, 2014 - 8:44 am

More hilarious background on DHS Fusion Centers here –

Is there a Brit equivalent? Nearest I can think of is the JIC.

95. Ba’al Agree. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Intelligence_Committee_(United_Kingdom)
    See all the knights of the realm listed as chairmen apart from the current chair. His gong is in the post presumably.

A quote from your link.
    ‘The report also said that in some cases the fusion centers violated civil liberties or privacy.[4]

Registration is needed to see the link.

96. Not the most flattering image.
    Director Private Office Jonathan Stephen Day
    2001 –

97. Ba'al Zevul (etc)

21 Feb, 2014 - 9:06 am

My link at 0820 doesn’t need registration, Mary. And it’s to the US .gov site. I try to find original sources when I can. In this case I was chasing a Press TV story, which, as usual, badly needed authentication.