Doune The Rabbit Hole

by craig on July 4, 2014 12:56 pm in Uncategorized

I shall again be running the bar – the Whistleblower’s Arms – at the Doune the Rabbit Hole Festival from 22 to 24 August at Cardross, Port of Menteith.

I find this festival, which is very much a lifestyle event and features mostly new talent, an extremely life-affirming experience. Last year it brought me back from a very dark place. Some of this blogs most active commenters and helpers have been among the volunteers over the last couple of years, keeping the event going. Personally for me the festival is necessarily centred around Williams Bros and Thistly Cross, but there is a tremendous variety of music:

Doune-poster-updated-16th-june-01-1-2

The event is very family friendly, and also an amazing place to meet new friends. It does not have any specific political orientation, but I might fairly say that the vibe is very much in line with the kind of unconstrained intellectual space promoted on this blog. On top of which Cardross is an extraordinarily beautiful place. The variety of local food on site, ranging from vegan to game, is one of the things I really enjoyed. It is a not for profit event and nobody gets a salary.

Tickets are not expensive by festival standards, and certainly cheaper than a weekend break in a hotel. But there is also the alternative of working your passage – the festival still needs plenty of volunteers.

I am genuinely looking forward to it enormously. Hope to see you there.

1. Habbabreak! You know it makes sense

2. You will make him cross getting that spot Afrend and we will probably have to call Sofia out.

Funny how they arrive in pairs from nowhere after a longish gap.

3. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

7 Jul, 2014 - 9:50 pm

The coincidence is even more ‘funny’ since you disclosed reading about them in ‘Alice..’ Mary

Tweedledum and Tweedldee.

4. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

7 Jul, 2014 - 9:53 pm

I knew I could find them on Youtube.

5. ------------·´`·.¸¸.¸¸.··.¸¸Node

7 Jul, 2014 - 10:41 pm

Resident Dissident (7 Jul, 2014 – 8:29 pm) asks whether it was a good or bad thing that David Irving’s career was destroyed. I’ll answer that. It was a bad thing. It was a very bad thing.

Until he questioned aspects of the holocaust, he was a well-respected historian and regarded as an expert in the military and political history of World War II, and a specialist on Nazi Germany. Nobody questions the sincerity of his views. So why should an academic be persecuted for expressing his honestly-held opinion on a subject he is well qualified to discuss? Whether you agree or disagree with his views isn’t the point.

His views are not racist. They do not incite violence. Why should he not be allowed to express them?
    What about you, Resident Dissident? Do you think it is a good thing when a person’s life is destroyed for disagreeing with the mainstream view. Can you cite any other example where a person’s honest disagreement on the interpretation of facts has been punished so harshly?

6. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

7 Jul, 2014 - 10:49 pm

A Node; Once you asked me not to interfere with the thread of a conversation. Now I’m asking you for a return of that favor.

Your serious question is made to an unserious person.

7. So why should an academic be persecuted for expressing his honestly-held opinion on a subject he is well qualified to discuss?

For the same reason that a comedian is hounded and persecuted for an “inverse” (bizarre ain’t got a look in) nazi salute! For the same reason of forcing the closure of theatres to stop his sell out shows, and taking him to court. Accompanied with the usual medjia persecution to fanfare of nazi are back to invade the world (the other half which has not been invaded by the Muslim hoards).

The extent of pernicious power is to a degree that no one dares to talk about it, and it is best to self censor and only hints at it are allowed.

8. ------------·´`·.¸¸.¸¸.··.¸¸Node

8 Jul, 2014 - 1:02 am

Yes, Fedup, I’ve already crossed swords with Resident Dissident over Dieudonne. As I remember, I asked him which he thought was more important – that Dieudonne was speaking the truth when he claimed his country was controlled by Zionists or that his message might be claimed to be antisemitic. You can guess his answer. In fairness, he did concede during that same conversation that some people might sometimes use accusations of antisemitism to stifle legitimate debate.

However, I believe the case of David Irving is even more clear-cut. It’s a simple matter of freedom of speech, and I’m interested to see whether RD is a free-speech denier.

9. ------------·´`·.¸¸.¸¸.··.¸¸Node

8 Jul, 2014 - 1:15 am

Ben,

Yes, I politely requested that that you don’t join in when I am engaged in a one-to-one with another poster. I often find your contributions confusing and on more than one occasion, you’ve let my opponent off the hook by providing a distraction. Frankly, I don’t know what to make of you, Ben. You often post interesting and useful stuff, but sometimes your language is so cryptic that I think it risks making the blog a laughing stock.

This comment of yours to which I am replying (7 Jul, 2014 – 10:49 pm) is a case in point. I don’t understand it. Are you really asking me not to interfere in your conversation with RD, or are you joking? You don’t seem to be having a conversation with him – yes, you’re mocking him, fair enough, that’s your business, but I can’t see a conversation. I guess you’re joking, but in that case you’re doing just what I asked you not to do.

I don’t think you mean any harm, and I think we’re on the same side, so let’s just agree that our writing styles are incompatible and do our own thing our own way. A mutual non-confusion pact.

10. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

8 Jul, 2014 - 1:27 am

Ditto; A Node. I find your contributions vague and inane, almost a cry for help. YIt’s not truly a hardship to avoid your conversations, but I thought you might have the courtesy to reciprocate on my ‘favor’ to you, as you clearly deemed. Perhaps if you find my comments cryptic you could get a decoder ring from the cerealbox you derive your platitudes from.

11. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

8 Jul, 2014 - 1:45 am

BTW; Whatever one-sided agreement we had is no longer valid.

12. ------------·´`·.¸¸.¸¸.··.¸¸Node

8 Jul, 2014 - 2:55 am

I have examined this entire thread.

RD has made 2 comments, neither of them to you.

You have made two comments involving RD, one of them addressed to him about frustration (7 Jul, 2014 – 9:28 pm), and the other to Mary about him (7 Jul, 2014 – 9:50 pm). Therefore if you believe you were having a conversation with RD, it must have been the one involving frustration.
    You have accused me of interfering with the thread of that conversation. I did not. I did not refer to anything you said, and I did not refer to anything RD said which you were responding to. Furthermore I would not have interfered in that [literally] one-sided conversation. Your comment was puerile and pointless, why would I want to get involved with it? Let’s examine it:

“That’s a good question for your own self. Got ‘blockage’? I certainly feel your aggravation as you fail to get a foothold here. Or maybe that’s what turns your crank.”

You were referring to a question RD asked Mary, not you, so I’ve quoted your entire ‘conversation’. And you think I want to interfere with that? Not with a 10 foot bargepole. What I did do was take issue with the substance of RD’s comment – I engaged in rational debate with him. I shan’t explain what those words mean, suffice it to say it’s what the grown ups do.

Thank you for graphically illustrating my claim about your confused thought processes. I tried to be polite, but your rudeness and hostility in response is all for the best. It means I am justified in ignoring you from now on.

Starting ….. NOW.

13. Good cop bad cop routine.

Spotted long time.

14. The Canadian B’Nai Brith need a serious reining in for producing this filth.

‘How On Earth Can Israel Tolerate This Filth From B’nai Brith Canada?
    Four million Canadians carrying the anti-Semitic ‘disease’? We’ve heard this kind of despicable propaganda before.

By Robert Fisk

July 01, 2014 “ICH” – “The Independent” – – Not long ago, I was handed the most outrageous, vile, dishonest and slanderous calumny uttered against the people of Canada. It was contained in a full-page advertisement in the National Post (founder, Conrad Black), a newspaper handed out – free, I’m happy to say – on my Air France flight out of Toronto. Here is the headline: “Almost 4 million Canadians are afflicted by this disease.”

Beneath this title is a half-page, very blurred and uncaptioned colour photo of a large crowd – they could be football supporters, rush-hour commuters in Vancouver, you name it; they are mostly white males but include women and with at least one dark-skinned man close to the camera. Beneath the picture, this incredible ad continues: “Left unchecked, it [the disease] can result in violence tendencies. Many times, those infected haven’t been diagnosed and may pass it on to their children, grandchildren, colleagues or friends. Please help stop the spread of this disease before it contaminates your community.”
    This is frightening stuff, of course. Could this refer to some of the six million Canadians who may be living with HIV/Aids? Or the 4.5 million Canadians affected by arthritis? Or the 2.5 million Canadians believed to have diabetes? Or even some of the estimated 7.8 million Canadians treated for depression each year? Nope. This is far more serious. For the “disease” afflicting “almost 4 million Canadians” is “anti-Semitism” and this disgusting advertisement – published without comment by one of Canada’s leading right-wing newspapers – was produced by B’nai Brith Canada and the “Jewish Christian Alliance”.’

Robert Fisk went on to compare this outpouring to that produced by the Nazis.

‘But what, we have to ask, possesses Israel’s “friends” to publish this pernicious material about 4 million “diseased” Canadians? Does B’nai Brith Canada not realise that these very same despicable lies were used by the Nazis in their hate propaganda against the Jews of Europe? In Hitler’s Germany, Jews were described as microbes. Jews, according to Julius Streicher, were “the carriers of disease and vermin among men”. In August 1941, Goebbels called Jews “the carriers of infectious diseases” and two weeks later referred to Jews as “parasites”. By November, he was calling them “lice”.’

~~

‘B’nai B’rith International (English pronunciation: /bəˌneɪ ˈbrɪθ/, from Hebrew: בני ברית‎ b’né brit, “Children of the Covenant”),[1] is the oldest Jewish service organization in the world. B’nai B’rith states that it is committed to the security and continuity of the Jewish people and the State of Israel and combating antisemitism and bigotry. Its mission is to unite persons of the Jewish faith and to enhance Jewish identity through strengthening Jewish family life, to provide broad-based services for the benefit of senior citizens, and to facilitate advocacy and action on behalf of Jews throughout the world.

Although the organization’s historic roots stem from a system of fraternal lodges[2] and units in the late 20th century,[3] as fraternal organizations declined throughout the United States, the organization evolved into a dual system of both lodges and units. The membership pattern became more common to other contemporary organizations of members affiliated by contribution in addition to formal dues paying members. In recent years, the organization reported more than 200,000 members and supporters in more than 50 countries and a budget of $14,000,000. Nearly 95% of the membership is in the United States.

B’nai B’rith International is affiliated with the World Jewish Congress.’

8 Jul, 2014 - 6:02 am

Phil

“The most bizarre is crowd funding war. Really. You can apparently pay for bullets to be fired in Ukraine.”
    ________________

Waiting to see Who Falls for it ..Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

16. On the slideshow, the UK section have had a meeting at the FCO and a tour of the BBC. That fits.

17. To be accurate, it was the grandly titled BBLBIA who had a meeting at the FCO.

B’nai B’rith London Bureau of International Affairs (BBLBIA)

18. Monday, July 7, 2014
    Exclusive: Democracy Now! Goes Inside Embassy Refuge, Talks w/ Julian Assange About WikiLeaks, Snowden

Video 48 mins

Part 2 on Wednesday

FREE JULIAN ASSANGE. RESTORE HIS HUMAN RIGHTS. LET HIM BREATHE FRESH AIR AND FEEL THE WARMTH OF THE SUN ON HIS BACK. HIS INCARCERATION IS AN ABOMINATION.

19. Is David Irving doing a reading at the Festival?

If so ask him why he tried to use the UK law of libel to limit Deborah Lipstadt’s freedom of speech.

20. An interesting snippet of info from the Democracy Now transcript.

AMY GOODMAN: We’re right across from Harrods, the famous department store.
    JULIAN ASSANGE: There is, under the Freedom of—under, actually, the Data Protection Act, we filed a act against Harrods and got information out showing how Harrods were in fact assisting the police surveillance operation.
    AMY GOODMAN: How?
    JULIAN ASSANGE: By permitting the police to use various buildings and facilities that Harrods has, not just the formal building, but they have a number of buildings which face onto the embassy. Additionally, it might be something of interest that Harrods was bought out by the Qatar sovereign fund a while ago, so it is ultimately Qatar that is supporting the surveillance operation of this embassy through its collaboration with the British government.

BOYCOTT QATARI OWNED HARRODS NOW.

21. Fall guy for the FIFA crooks has collar felt.

7 July 2014
    Fifa partner CEO Ray Whelan arrested over ticket scam
    Ray Whelan is escorted to a police station in Rio de Janeiro. Photo: 7 July 2014 Ray Whelan was arrested at Rio’s luxurious Copacabana Palace Hotel

Fifa linked to Brazil ticket gang
    Police arrest World Cup ‘tout gang’
    Warning to fans over World Cup scams

Brazilian police have arrested the chief executive of a Fifa partner company as part of investigations into the illegal sale of World Cup tickets.

Ray Whelan from Match Hospitality was held at the Rio de Janeiro hotel where officials from the world’s football governing body were also staying.

Last week, police held 11 people and broke up an international gang.

They are accused of illegally reselling tickets, including some originally allocated to players.

Police say the gang earned as much as $90m (£52m) per tournament and could have operated at four World Cups.

The authorities believe some of the tickets were sold to foreign tourists.

22. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

8 Jul, 2014 - 7:45 am

Bit of a falling-out between A Node and California Ben above, what? Always amusing to see two Eminences having a go at each other out of wounded vanity and over-self-consciousness!

BTW, re David Irving and his “destroyed career”*, let it be noted that it was Irving who sought brought an action for libel against Deborah Lipstadt and the other way round. Like Oscar Wilde, Irving over-reached himself when trying to silence someone else.

* (Baal-type footnote)I note that Mary, who started off this exchange, hasn’t had the guts to answer Resident Dissident’s question. What an armchair warrior, she daren’t even defend her own posts!

23. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

8 Jul, 2014 - 7:48 am

“Please tell me more, at first sight I find this a laudable initiative and may wish to contribute. Thanks.

Waiting to see Who Falls for it ..Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !”
    _________________

Yeah, sure, Fujisan, sure, it was just a trap, wasn’t it. Or not.

A little like an Eminence coming out with a bit of moral filth and then saying “I was only joking”….

Happens quite often on here.

24. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

8 Jul, 2014 - 7:52 am

“I have examined this entire thread….etc, etc, etc..”
    _______________

And it kept you up until 3am, A Node? For God’s sake get a grip, man – have you nothing better to do with your life?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I don’t think you mean any harm, and I think we’re on the same side,…etc, etc”

______________________

You certainly are – just like Laurel and Hardy :)

25. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

8 Jul, 2014 - 7:57 am

Funny how Eminences start quarreling amoung themselves (A Node/California Ben this time) in the absence of myself, Resident Dissident and a few others.

And how, apart from that, the thread’s almost comatose until I and Resident Dissident and some others have occasion to join in the learned discussions.

Use Habbabreak and go back to sleep – you know it’s the right thing to do!

____________________

Buy jam from Israel, it’s the fruit that does it.

26. On David Irving, I do not approve of his persecution, on free speech grounds. But having actually read some of his earlier books, including his life of Rommel, I think he always appears to have had a dangerous attraction to Nazi Germany. That sympathy led him to fall below standards of academic rigour.

Whatever one thinks of present day Israel, to deny the massive scale of organised extermination of Jews (and other groups) by the Nazis is ridiculous – and almost always motivated by anti-Semitism.

27. Some interesting reporting in the US over the beating of the 15 year old;

Israelis are very very slow learners, heavy-handiness always rebounds.

28. Ba'al Zevul (Chimp Assassin)

8 Jul, 2014 - 8:32 am

Poster Formerly Known as ANode –

Thanks for the B’nai Brith ad. There is one group of people on Earth you are not even allowed to think about disliking, and their self-appointed voice makes itself, and them, as dislikeable as it possibly can. No wonder the frustration boils over from time to time.

29. Ba'al Zevul (Chimp Assassin)

8 Jul, 2014 - 9:02 am

Fascist race-hater distances self from Likud (but remains close to Likud):

30. Ba'al Zevul (Chimp Assassin)

8 Jul, 2014 - 9:11 am

Testing (removed comment):

Comparing the (unequivocal) B’nai Brith equation of antisemitism with disease, with Goebbels’ equation of Judaism with disease; does this itself constitute antisemitism in your view? I’d like to know, for future reference.

31. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

8 Jul, 2014 - 9:16 am

Craig

“On David Irving, I do not approve of his persecution, on free speech grounds. But having actually read some of his earlier books, including his life of Rommel, I think he always appears to have had a dangerous attraction to Nazi Germany. That sympathy led him to fall below standards of academic rigour.”
    ____________________

I broadly agree with that. Just three points:

1/. Not sure that he’s being “persecuted” and would welcome detail for that suggestion. It is true that he was barred from entering Germany and is barred from entering Canada and Australia, but I’m not sure if that amounts to “persecution” for a historian/writer/polemicist. The recent court case was brought by Irving in response to a book by a minor American academic which would have sold few copies (at least in the UK) and would soon have disappeared into the morass of holocaust literature, and was Irving’s own “Oscar Wilde moment”.

2/. The evidence brought by expert witnesses (including Richard Evans) at the Lipstadt trial demonstrated quite clearly that your point about Irving’s lack of academic rigour is correct. And it is not the first time: as another example, Irving’s contention (cf “Uprising-One nation’s nightmare: Hungary 1956”)that the Hungarian AVO (secret police) was largely run and staffed by Jews has been shown (cf Anne Applebaum i.a.) to be incorrect.

3/. Having read some of Irving’s work, I should make a point which isn’t often made – because the argument always gravitates around question of academic rigour, or intention. That point is that he is simply not a very good writer and that his style (nothing to do with content)is not pleasing.

32. http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2014/07/doune-the-rabbit-hole-2/comment-page-2/#comment-465145

As the troll knows, I do not respond to interrogative questions from trolls designed only to stir up trouble.

33. Interesting that the ex nightclub bouncer Lieberman has broken with Netanyahu’s Likud for not being tough enough on the Hamas.

Only the other day Avigdor was calling for the killing of an Arab Israeli MK! He’s tough!

Israelis call for Arab member of Israeli parliament to be killed

Elsewhere

Arafat case may prove another huge judicial blow for Israel
    As Israel tries to cope with the fallout from the sadistic murder of a young Palestinian, there is an allegedly unlawful killing threatening to cause it even greater problems. France has effectively re-opened the investigation into the 2004 death of Yasser Arafat, arguably the most internationally famous Palestinian of the last few decades, and a Nobel Prize winning peace maker.

34. Habbabkuk, 9:16 am:

“Not sure that he’s being “persecuted” and would welcome detail for that suggestion”

More that he was being persecuted, I’d say. Irving was also imprisoned in Austria; he was sentenced to three years of which he served one.

While reading about Irving last night I found that it was he who popularised the “100,000 to 250,000 were killed by the British bombing of Dresden” legend.

35. I am unlike Habbabkuk (who seems to have made a deep study of Irving’s and Lipstadt’s writing) in that I have read none of their books.

Who’s have thunk it? There is nothing new under the sun.

57 Years Ago: U.S. and Britain Approved Use of Islamic Extremists to Topple Syrian Government
    July 07, 2014

Have the U.S. and Its Allies Intentionally Balkanized Syria Into Smaller Regions?

Nearly 50 years before the war in Iraq, Britain and America sought a secretive “regime change” in another Arab country… by planning the invasion of Syria and the assassination of leading figures.

Newly discovered documents show how in 1957 [former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom] Harold Macmillan and President Dwight Eisenhower approved a CIA-MI6 plan to stage fake border incidents as an excuse for an invasion by Syria’s pro-western neighbours, and then to “eliminate” the most influential triumvirate in Damascus.

Although historians know that intelligence services had sought to topple the Syrian regime in the autumn of 1957, this is the first time any document has been found showing that the assassination of three leading figures was at the heart of the scheme. In the document drawn up by a top secret and high-level working group that met in Washington in September 1957, Mr Macmillan and President Eisenhower were left in no doubt about the need to assassinate the top men in Damascus.

Mr Macmillan ordered the plan withheld even from British chiefs of staff, because of their tendency “to chatter”.

36. BBC reports that – in 1957 – the British and American leaders approved the use of Islamic extremists and false flag attacks to topple the Syrian government:

Very interesting. How did the UK and the US “approve the use of Islamic extremists” when officially, there were none under their command?

As then, so now, I strongly suspect.

37. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

8 Jul, 2014 - 10:24 am

Mary

“I am unlike Habbabkuk (who seems to have made a deep study of Irving’s and Lipstadt’s writing) in that I have read none of their books.”
    ___________________

Nothing like flagging one’s ignorance with pride, eh, Mary?

And not that that ignorance stops you from posting on about matters Jewish, anti-Semotoc, “fascist”, Nazi and so on. But hey, I forgot, it’s not you saying anything is it, it’s always someone else (cf. posts passim)!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Interesting how the usual suspects, always ready to pile into everything and everyone, are keeping very quiet about David Irving….except to defend him.

38. “Islamic extremists” take note – if you think your orders come from God, think again.

39. Whenever I read of yet another Zionist finally seeing the light, I always wonder how on earth it took them so long, it’s not as if these latest killings are worst than Cast Lead or the regular turkey shoots of Lebanese civilians, etc, bloody etc;

40. Ba'al Zevul (Chimp Assassin)

8 Jul, 2014 - 10:30 am

OT – Turdney picked up his monthly paycheck from Zurich Insurance yesterday. In person. There and back, no doubt with entourage, on faithful old £7000 an hour G-CEYL.

41. ------------·´`·.¸¸.¸¸.··.¸¸Node

8 Jul, 2014 - 10:36 am

Radio 5 was on in the kitchen while I was in another room. I became aware that someone was justifying Israel’s military strikes on Gaza by referring to rocket strikes. This person, perhaps Israel’s ambassador, was explaining at great length how patiently Israel had borne these attacks and how it much regretted having to retaliate with air strikes. Then, I’m almost certain, Nicky Campbell responded by saying “has it occurred to you Hamas are deliberately doing it to provoke Israel into attacking Gaza.” The interviewee agreed he had wondered about that and the interview then ended with neither of them speculating on why Hamas might want such a thing.

There doesn’t seem to be a listen again feature for Radio 5. Can anybody confirm what I thought I heard

I don’t really understand what you are saying in your comment Brian. To be clear I wasn’t commenting about the cause of this group of fighters.

True or hoax, I was only saying this campaign signposts a potential internet phenomena:

The crowd funding of war*.

Want to give more than your opinion? Perfect for comfy internet warriors on the other side of the planet.

I find this an interesting observation. Seems like I’m on my own here.

Of course everyone here is yet again bickering about Irving, Zionism, Nazis. Again. How many times?

* The campaign seems to have been removed. It was fund raising for “food and ammunition” for a group of fighters in Ukraine.

43. Sorry the Ukrainian fighters campaign is still online:

44. I can’t imagine the Ukrainian fighters campaign staying up long though. The Indiegogo TOS includes that campaigns must not “cause harm to people or property, or to scam other Users”.

45. Ba'al Zevul (Chimp Assassin)

8 Jul, 2014 - 11:17 am

Dearlove says terrorist threat to UK blown out of proportion by the media (and he would probably know):

Would have put up the Mail’s version of the same story, but unfortunately it’s peppered with irrelevant images of Middle Eastern fear-figures and explosions, so I guess….case proved.

46. ------------·´`·.¸¸.¸¸.··.¸¸Node

8 Jul, 2014 - 11:25 am

Phil 8 Jul, 2014 – 10:45 am

“This whole evil Jew cult running the world nonsense is an obsession almost certainly encouraged by people at Langley.?”

Whilst I don’t totally dismiss this idea, how would you explain the seeming influence of Jews before the creation of the CIA in 1947. For example, in 1896 Theodor Herzl had enough confidence in the power of international Jewry to call for the creation of a Zionist state, resulting in the Balfour Declaration of 1926.

I certainly believe that it is in the interests of the CIA and other Western powers to support Zionism, but who is pulling who’s strings is not clear to me. The end result is that the vast majority of us, Jews and non Jews, are pawns in a game plan.

47. Phil, I also find crowd-funding of a fighting group remarkable. Thanks for pointing it out; I just had nothing further to add. It reminds me of the “Eye Need” column at the back of Private Eye, I think.

The “whole evil Jew cult running the world nonsense” phenomena seems a predictable reaction to pro-Israeli propaganda and disproportionate Israeli political influence – so yes, “…encouraged by people at Langley”.

48. Node, 11:25 am

“…but who is pulling who’s strings is not clear to me”

It’s not clear to anyone else, either, including those who think they know which strings they’re pulling. The universe is not a tidy place where things happen for reasons that are easily comprehended within a human mind. Why things happened as they did is often not known until later, if ever. But I reckon a lot of it is just down to convergence of interests, who knows who, and who speaks which languages.

49. The Balfour Declaration dates from 1917, not 1926. It’s really just a brief letter. The Balfour Note would be more accurate. Its full text is as follows:

His Majesty’s government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country.

Although it comprises only a single sentence, it is waved around most triumphantly by those with a woefully poor attention span who can’t make it past the second comma.

50. Node

51. Your compassion is partial. When did anyone here last say a word about the Congo or Western Sahara? Not incidentally, when did the state-corporate media last say a word about the Congo or Western Sahara?

Perhaps you are manipulated to have an unhealthy obsession that militantly prioritises the Middle East.

52. Phil; “an obsession almost certainly encouraged by people at Langley”

No doubt, just like the “Communist Threat” was used for decades as a convenient ploy by the Western PTB, for their ulterior agendas; this doesn’t alter the fact that ramifications surrounding the I/P issue, corrupts & permeates almost everything of importance that happens in the World, so to stick your head in the sand by turning a blind eye to it doesn’t seem like a sensible option if you really want to understand what & why things happen as they do.

Take your Ukrainian crowd funding discovery, and imagine if it was headed slightly different, as so;

STOP THE ISRAELI GENOCIDE IN PALESTINE! HELP THE PALESTINIAN CIVILIANS AND FIGHTERS IN THIS FIGHT!

We all know that everybody associated with such an appeal, as well as everybody who actually contributed, would be charged with “Sponsoring Terrorism”, at the very least!

So does not following your blind eye approach, mean that such double standards should not be questioned, just merely accepted ?

(Interesting to see that as you have posted that Ukraine Appeal here, if any of the resident Russophobes will be tempted to add to the zero balance so far !)

“an unhealthy obsession that militantly prioritises the Middle East”

No, it’s OUR Governments that have this obsession, and for more than one reason; as for other issues such as the Congo or Western Sahara, etc, I can’t do better than Chomsky’s own reply on this very point;

53. Former Chancellor Alastair Darling augurs that Scotland needs some big surprise to get over its independence fancies!

54. Macky

Yes, the Israeli state is bad and has influence disproportionate to it’s size. I am not sure why you are stressing this so.

The system and forces that cause conflict in Palestine are the same as those which cause conflict in Congo. Basically they both boil down to international capital (mostly US/EU) funded proxy armies causing division to control resources and make profit.

55. Clark; “But I reckon a lot of it is just down to convergence of interests, who knows who, and who speaks which languages”

Sounds a bit like a Conspiracy Theory to me ! Almost a “Cult” like fraternity of shared vested interests, such as money, power, land, resources, prejudices, etc ! 😀

56. Ba'al Zevul (Chimp Assassin)

8 Jul, 2014 - 1:15 pm

RD diverts (earlier): Is cycling becoming the people’s sport?

Only in the sense that the Shand-Kydd gel was the peoples’ princess, RD. That is, obsessive media hype shoves every important item (and clandestine policy) off the front pages of all media everywhere. The time BBC R4 alone has devoted to this bunch of sweating Lycra-coated twats is astonishing. Much of it during news programmes.

Message to all media from this litre-bike rider – who is trying to avoid the Bradley Wiggins wannabe who has wobbled into his path, both hands off the bars, texting (probably some other pushbiker, maybe obtaining a race commentary from Yorkshire) and oblivious to all else: –
    IT’S NOT BIG, IT’S NOT CLEVER AND IT’S NOT EXPLETIVE NEWS.

57. “when you ask me to solve x-2=5, what are your grounds for rejecting 7?”

I’m surprised to hear it was rejected because I’ve found that I can enter any number, right or wrong, as the answer and my post still gets accepted.

“Are we working in base 6?”

Did you try 11?

58. “Er, Captcha…when you ask me to solve x-2=5, what are your grounds for rejecting 7? Are we working in base 6? Or should I have included Planck’s constant in my working?”

On the grounds that you had left the blog page open for too long without inputting anything to the text window. After a certain amount of time (my creators did not include the exact amount in my programming), I cease to function correctly on a given page and it is necessary for the user [you] to create a new instance of me by hitting [F5].

59. Ba'al Zevul (Chimp Assassin)

8 Jul, 2014 - 1:50 pm

60. YouKnowMyName

8 Jul, 2014 - 2:00 pm

as an internet user since 1984 (true!) I’m surprised when I come across an actual re-write of history. Admittedly this history is just from last-week, and it is a sensitive part of the current Information-War. I post this not to promote one side or the other, just to highlight that any story that you read might change radically the next time that you access it – was the DailyMail hacked to produce such an article, was the DM editor asleep, were the nice folks at the DA-committee at lunch??

reference link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2677613/American-military-advisers-masterminding-Ukraines-surge-against-pro-Russian-separatists-bid-expand-Nato-east.html

strangely, the article html link mentions American advisers – but the actual article doesn’t!

lets shout out the html link

AMERICAN MILITARY ADVISERS MASTERMINDING UKRAINES SURGE AGAINST PRO-RUSSIAN-SEPARATISTS BID EXPAND NATO EAST.HTML

BUT THE CURRENT PAGE HAS NO “AMERICANS” , NO “ADVISERS” – lots of sad pictures of bombing

the DM page that we can see at the link now is timed at 20:43 on 2nd July 2014, whilst the original page was written 12 hours before that, and probably contained this text – found elsewhere on the internet – which directly references this above Daily Mail link

“America is masterminding Ukraine’s military surge against pro-Russian separatists in a bid to expand Nato further east, it was today claimed. Military advisers have flooded into the country and are now embedded with Kiev’s forces, according to one of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s top security experts. They are reportedly attempting to crush insurgents in a game-changing move, which involves encouraging Ukraine to join Nato in a threat to Russian interests. ‘It is quite apparent that this is one of the goals,’ said Russian Deputy Security Council Secretary, Yevgeny Lukyanov. Speaking after a meeting with the Kremlin leader, Mr Lukyanov alleged that U.S. mercenary fighters are also on the ground in Ukraine. “

Why would the Daily-Mail remove this paragraph? it seems to add to the debate.

another version of this text referencing the DM link

“- Advisers are embedded with Kiev’s forces, claims Moscow security expert
    – They are ‘masterminding Ukraine’s surge against pro-Russian separatists’
    – Also reportedly encouraging the country to join Nato in threat to Russia
    – Yevegeny Lukyanov made comments following meeting with Vladimir Putin
    – Today, Ukraine is continuing ‘massive artillery and air offensive’ on rebels
    – It comes amid unconfirmed claims of heavy casualties among insurgents

America is masterminding Ukraine’s military surge against pro-Russian separatists in a bid to expand Nato further east, it was today claimed. Military advisers have flooded into the country and are now embedded with Kiev’s forces, according to one of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s top security experts.They are reportedly attempting to crush insurgents in a game-changing move, which involves encouraging Ukraine to join Nato in a threat to Russian interests.”

Yet another version online aimed at the same DM link

“Advisers are embedded with Kiev’s forces, claims Moscow security expert. In Donetsk, the capital of Ukraine’s eastern industrial heartland, streets were deserted and gunfire filled the air yesterday as rebels besieged the Interior Ministry building. The rebels eventually captured the compound, leaving the body of a undercover police officer on the street outside.”

now, none of these paragraphs are in the DM story, there is no explanation of the difference, no previous versions available at the DM website. Does anyone know the back-story to the “AMERICAN ADVISER” html link?
    presumably this was the actual physical DM printed newspaper story last Wednesday? Fish n’ Chip wrapping by Thursday… it seems

Does the same happen with our other favourite online news stories?
    Will Minitrue be active in the Scottish events?

61. ------------·´`·.¸¸.¸¸.··.¸¸Node

8 Jul, 2014 - 2:02 pm

Phil

“Come on. I didn’t say the CIA invented the Jews. Yes the Jews did exist and had a reputation before the CIA. I am suggesting that the CIA encourage bullshit ideas (all the better if building on age old bigotry) to create diversion and cause division that sustain the murderous system.”

I didn’t mean to imply anything simplistic on your part. I even said I don’t rule out the idea that the evil-zionists-dominate-the-world scenario could be a front to deflect enquiries from a higher controlling level. I am pointing out that Zionism seems to have had the power to manipulate international situations long before the creation of the CIA, therefore there are difficulties in understanding how the CIA could have gained supremacy over it.

I think Clark’s explanation is the most useful – there are no clear-cut lines. If, for example, elements of the CIA are zionist-controlled, what does it mean to say that the CIA are manipulating public perceptions of Zionism?

62. “Thanks, Captcha. But, on that comment, I barely paused. On others, which accept the correct answer, I frequently divert to another page for some time in the process of composing my deathless insights. The timeout would seem to be highly variable.”

This may be why my programmers didn’t include the exact expiry duration in my knowledge base – perhaps they didn’t know either. I have consulted with all my other instances and we collectively speculate that there may be some other factor at play, perhaps some cycle of our server, that influences whether we need to be refreshed or not.

63. ------------·´`·.¸¸.¸¸.··.¸¸Node

8 Jul, 2014 - 2:21 pm

@YouKnowMyName

Mary sometimes reference a website which documents various versions of media stories as they are updated. I can’t remember the name of it, but I’m sure someone here can post it faster than I can track it down.

64. Node, it’s News Sniffer.

65. Not only are there no clear-cut lines, some players jump each side of what lines exist to play any side off against any other. I dread to think what outsourcing has done to secret services everywhere. Murdoch supports Israel, but does anyone believe he ultimately serves any interests but his own? And all down every communicational line, parties are distorting, suppressing or exaggerating information in what they believe to be their own interests. People act on such information (often by reacting against the way they think it’s biased), and the results don’t make sense; quelle surprise!

66. Never mind yesteryears Nazis, the modern-day equivalent are on the march in Europe and seem to have the core of the EU behind them, using them as a shield.

I think the EU is hopelessly broken, whatevers ideals there might have been trumpeted and idealists sucked in and carried along, the US and NATO and some EU members have discarded them and have destroyed the EU that was, not entirely a bad thing, as the EU never was more than a political and social cover military and economic subjugation and control.

My view is that the original Nazi regime’s enemy was not the Communist regime in Russia, and the Communist regime’s enemy was not German Nazism. Both of their enemy’s were one and the same: the mass of the Russian peoples and German peoples, between them culled by around 40 millions, who were a threat not to each other, but to their ‘own’ totalitarian regimes in Berlin and Moscow.

67. Ba'al Zevul (Chimp Assassin)

8 Jul, 2014 - 2:37 pm

YouKnowMyName –

Granted, the Mail story could have been redacted because it was true, and someone leaned on Dacre to remove it in the, er, interests of hard-working families national security. Or it could have been pure fantasy – Russian propaganda – and removed because it wasn’t true.

And no-one can objectively say which.

68. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

8 Jul, 2014 - 2:39 pm

A Node @ 2;55;

Thanks for the astute analysis, including verbose minutiae, illustrating how adept you are at missing the point.

69. ————·´`·.¸¸.¸¸.··.¸¸Node (8 Jul, 2014 – 2:02 pm) wrote:

“I am pointing out that Zionism seems to have had the power to manipulate international situations long before the creation of the CIA, therefore there are difficulties in understanding how the CIA could have gained supremacy over it.”

An early example is given from 1917 in the Kurdistan thread:

“[…] would have given Sykes and Picot a far larger canvas, a real fear which could explain Turkey’s desire to concede the peculiar allied designs on Palestine, an allied obsession which had calamitous side-effects in France and could have cost and lost them the entire war.”

70. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

8 Jul, 2014 - 2:53 pm

Hanging in the balance; NATO health and the West’s answer to BRICS. It’s a big deal. No doubt about it.

“Washington has not yet commented on the matter, however.

Despite the uproar the double agent scandal has caused among German politicians, the government in Berlin has been quick to assure Washington that the issue will not affect ongoing talks on a free trade deal between the European Union and United States.

“The Americans are important partners for Germany including of course in economic terms, so the TTIP (Translatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership) talks … are not in question or in doubt,” government spokeswoman Christiane Wirtz said, Reuters reported.

71. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

8 Jul, 2014 - 2:55 pm

Repeating an earlier inquiry; Where is John Goss and Mark Golding?

72. Things in Israel are rotten to his core. Dr Yehuda Hiss’s version of the truth here. And he has a history including the stealing of body parts from the deceased.

Arafat Jaradat and the man behind his autopsy
    Jessica Purkiss
    Wednesday, 02 July 2014 https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/articles/middle-east/12507-arafat-jaradat-and-the-man-behind-his-autopsy

RIP Arafat Jaradat.
    ‘He was strong and athletic. He hadn’t been ill a day in his life. He was a third year Al-Quds Open University student.

He didn’t resist arrest. Neighbors said soldiers beat him anyway. They heard him scream. Days later, his family learned he was dead. He’s Palestine’s latest martyr.’

73. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

8 Jul, 2014 - 3:20 pm

For those who think nukes are indispensable and solar/wind not sustainable….

“SINCLAIR: And that’s why that day, the actual prices for electricity on the German grid went to negative, ’cause the electricity was free.

WORONCZUK: So, Peter, this sounds pretty incredible. Energy prices apparently went negative. Tell us how Germany got to this point.

SINCLAIR: Well, Germany actually was kind of sparked by the United States. And this was some 30 some years ago, back in the Carter administration, when this country really started devoting a lot of money to developing renewable energy. And many people in Germany, for a number of reasons, found this to be very compelling.
    The difference is they got started on it, took our lead, and they didn’t stop. Here in the U.S., during the Reagan administration, investment in renewables plummeted, and it’s taken us a long time to rebuild from that. But Germany started putting a number of policies in place at that time. And then in the recent decade or so most especially, they put into place what they called a feed-in tariff, which is a program of compensating people for installing renewable energy–small businesses, individuals, farmers, co-ops. And the program has been far more successful than anyone would have predicted in the early days. And so it has brought a torrent of renewable energy onto the German system that has–as you say, on some days, there’s so much energy coming in that electric prices go negative in Germany.

74. ------------·´`·.¸¸.¸¸.··.¸¸Node

8 Jul, 2014 - 3:23 pm

No luck with News Sniffer if I’m using it correctly.
    “AMERICAN MILITARY ADVISERS UKRAINE” returns 37 results, none of them relevant.

75. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

8 Jul, 2014 - 3:28 pm

It’s quite a list….more here. http://www.commondreams.org/view/2014/07/08-2

“Years since Israel allowed Palestinians of Gaza to export what they produce: 7

Unemployment in Gaza as a result of Israeli blockade on civilians: 38.5%

Estimated unemployment rate in US during the Great Depression: 25%

Percentage of children in Gaza suffering from acute malnutrition: 13.2%

Rate of anemia in Palestinian Children in Gaza: 18.9%

Percentage of water in Gaza that is potable: 10%

Years, according the the UN, before Gaza becomes “uninhabitable”: 6

76. Phil; “Yes, the Israeli state is bad and has influence disproportionate to its size. I am not sure why you are stressing this so.”

Err, because you accuse people of being “obsessed” about it !

Phil; “The Chmosky quote you linked to suggests you seem to think the misery of Africa has nothing to do with “us”.

It doesn’t actually, but nevermind.

Phil; “The system and forces that cause conflict in Palestine are the same as those which cause conflict in Congo. Basically they both boil down to international capital (mostly US/EU) funded proxy armies causing division to control resources and make profit”

Don’t think you will get many takers agreeing with that comparison !

Phil; “If indeed “we” are culpable (even this attribution of our collective guilt is a manipulation), “we” are culpable for the misery in the Congo and we are culpable for the misery in Palestine. Why are you exclusively obsessed with one?”

Firstly, I am not exclusively obsessed with I/P as you well know re for example our not so ancient ding-dongs over Ukraine ; secondly, I/P is always in our face virtual of the never-ending horror stories/headlines, and has been so for decades now; thirdly I/P repercussions subvert our own domestic politics; fourthly the I/P is a clear cut case of ethnic cleansing & colonization that could be made to stop overnight if the Western governments withdrew all support & forced it to negociate in good faith, whereas most other conflicts are not so clear cut & without such an obvious cure.

Why, especially as an apparent Palestinaian Supporter, are you so concerned that some people are focused on the achieveable objective of ending the misery of the I/P ? Were you so equally critical of those engaged in the struggle against Apartheid, do you criticise Feminists or LGBT for being so “obsessed”, and for not campaigning to end the strife in the Congo ?!

77. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

8 Jul, 2014 - 3:36 pm

Phil; Don’t be discouraged by my bad example (referencing another conversation)

You WILL be tested. :)

78. Brig. Gen. Michael Herzog said on Radio 4 Today that Israel deems a war on Gaza, killing hundreds of Palestinians (like Operation Cast Lead) is worth it if it leads to a period of “quiet” for the Israeli population.

Why was he not asked by Mishal Husain why, during the “period of quiet”, Israel is still dissatisfied and continues:

building settlements on stolen Palestinian land
    demolishing Palestinian homes and infrastructure
    uprooting orchards and olive trees
    denying human rights, residence and building permits to Palestinians
    abducting and arresting Palestinian minors
    depriving Gaza of water, electricity and access to food and medical supplies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048l0g1 1hr 34mins in

Why was he also not asked if these acts are a deliberate provocation to increase the suffering of Palestinians until their anger, frustration and despair boil over into missile attacks, giving Israel a new pretext to inflict even greater harm on the population?

79. This is the closest I have heard to the truth for many years:

80. “Spirit of Gordon”
    Encrypted Communique 4395444xge566

Crew. How do you expect me to drive this thing with you all bickering in the back?

Mary.
    5 Jul, 2014 – 10:46 am

Thanks for the video link. Was that a veiled hint that you don’t like your turquoise sequined uniform? Well all I can say is, I haven’t heard any other crew members complain. So, if it’s good enough for Ba’al I reckon it’s good enough for you too.

While the crew’s attention has been taken up with fixing the improbability drive, all the while thinking Dad was safely isolated in the recycling bay, he was busy spinning a cocoon from old plastic bags. Now he(?) has metamorphosed and is swimming around in the sewage processing lagoon and producing tons of what looks like giant frogspawn. Also I think the green tendrils that our new crew-member Afriend removed from the fibre-optic system may explain this morning’s outbursts.

Finally, a tip for those of you who like a flutter. Our communications team are pretty sure the Vogons have paid for both the ref and the TV cameras to cast a blind eye on the new Brazilian plan to field a two Ukie Naz Guard APCs on the wings. If this intelligence is correct and so long as they don’t mistake the rest of the team for unarmed civilians this probably will give them an advantage and the change in tactics will be barely noticeable. So go and place your bets before the bookies get wind of it.

Before I get too carried away, spare a thought for the latest victims of Euro-Fascism 2.0

81. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

8 Jul, 2014 - 3:52 pm

Mary

Why don’t you write to the BBC and then give us its answer, rather than rhetorically blowing off on here yet again?

*****************

La vita è bella, life is good!

82. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

8 Jul, 2014 - 3:56 pm

I see that no post from the Celtic Poetaster is complete without a link to Russia Today :)

83. You could not imagine anyone endowed with such physical beauty as Ms Shaked being so hate filled as to demand the genocide of the Palestinians and to meet with such huge approval.

Israeli lawmaker’s call for genocide of Palestinians gets thousands of Facebook likes

84. Node
    “…therefore there are difficulties in understanding how the CIA could have gained supremacy over it.”

Why are there difficulties? Even accepting the highly contentious premise that Zionism was ever an idea comparable to empire your incredulity that it was usurped by a new power seems at odds with how the world works. Power shifts.

That which ails us is right in view. In our palaces and wars, in our shops and wage slips, in our stupidity. Secret world dominating cults from another place are not needed to explain the misery. We are the friggin misery. Sure cults exist and Israel exercises great influence but as part of a wider system, they are not the dog.

85. @Phil, oh dear, seems like you better take a closer look at the Israeli connection if you want to better understand the root cause of most of the conflict in the Congo, hint whose’s the biggest dealer in the “Blood Diamond” trade;

86. Macky,

Yes I do think identity politics is also encouraged by the bad guys as a diversion and to create division. Of course this does not mean I am not a feminist or anti racist.

Yes I did misuse the word “exclusively”. But there is a clear focus here on Israel, the Middle East and Jewishness at the expense of many, many other issues. I suggest we pursue an agenda all too easily set by the corporate state media. We disagree with the corporate state but they set the agenda. This is to our detriment.

Anyway I’m off to Leeds for a holiday. That’s how exotic I am. You’ll miss me. I know you will.

87. Ba'al Zevul (Chimp Assassin)

8 Jul, 2014 - 4:18 pm

Well all I can say is, I haven’t heard any other crew members complain.

Not surprising, since you smashed the intercom with a spanner during your hissy fit over the calamares. And it’s not getting fixed until you release the magnetic restraint and let me off this bulkhead.

88. Macky

aangirfan? Hilarious.

I really can’t argue with that.

89. The TTIP (EU US trade deal) and its dangers to us.

Public Services, privatisation and TTIP, the EU-US trade deal

Linda Kaucher, long-term researcher and campaigner on the EU’s secretive international trade agreement programme, explains what TTIP means for our public services.

There is justified concern that privatising public services, which inherently shifts the priority to shareholder dividends, is not best value either for the public purse or for optimal quality of services. Now the proposed EU-US free trade agreement, the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), brings another dimension to this concern. As part of the agreement, the privatisations of public services, in whatever form, could become effectively irreversible.

As with all EU bilateral trade deals, the intention is for TTIP negotiations and texts to remain secret until the deal is completed, despite the fact that the deal affects 850 million people. Information is coming for the most part from leaked documents.

and

Are we reaching TTIPing point?
    In the first in a series on the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, Leonie Nimmo introduces the trade deal that campaigners warn is a threat to democracy.

90. @Phil, hope I’ve caught you in time for a little holiday reading, which will show just how canny you were to pick the Sahara Conflict to compare with I/P 😀 ;

91. Phil; “aangirfan? Hilarious”

Don’t be snidey, add learning about the Blood Diamond trade to your holiday reading list ! 😀

92. Ben-LA PACQUTE LO ES TODO

8 Jul, 2014 - 4:29 pm

“Advocates of the deal say that it will boost trade, create jobs, increase choice for consumers and make everybody richer.”

Another incarnation of ‘trickle-down’, Mary.

No BRICS with that mortar.

93. Macky

I haven’t clicked your link. Diamonds are only a small part of the resources stolen from Africa. That Israel is involved with finance, corporations and special forces in Africa is well known and does not in the slightest change my point.

I really have to go now.

94. I believe Whales ‘blow off’. Any verb another than ‘to say’ or ‘to write’ is used. Such possession of a wide vocabulary. How do you know if I sent a complaint to the BBC or not?

Ref earlier mutterings @
    I posted Robert Fisk’s piece on Irving having read it on Information Clearing House. I respect his journalism for being truthful and unbiased so thought I would share it.

Are the ‘Semotoc’ a group of indigenous people in the country known as Canada?

95. Phil @4:19pm

Still here?

96. Phil; “That Israel is involved with finance, corporations and special forces in Africa is well known and does not in the slightest change my point”

“involved” ! That understatement rather makes a mockery of your statement, even allowing for the contradiction that your point was why people don’t focus on the conflict in the Congo !

I did focus, and you try to play down what I found ! 😀

97. Terrible scenes in Gaza are shown in this Sky video and photo gallery.

Israel Bombs Gaza After Hamas Rocket Fire
    Hamas responds by threatening an “earthquake” in response to the attacks as the two sides edge closer towards a major conflict.

Israel’s ‘Operation Protective Edge’ is kicking off. Sirens are sounding in Tel Aviv. History is repeating itself once more.

98. I have always admired your tenacity on this blog Macky. Why is there so much denial?