Reply To: New World Shifting to the Indo-Pacific new nuclear powered submarines

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum New World Shifting to the Indo-Pacific new nuclear powered submarines Reply To: New World Shifting to the Indo-Pacific new nuclear powered submarines

Clark

I can’t despise Donald Trump, nor any other politicians or media personalities because they aren’t fully real to me, not like a person I meet in real life. They’re images on a screen, quotes in media etc. With media, never forget that really we’re just staring at a sheet of cleverly illuminated plastic and listening to two pieces of vibrating cardboard, and everything we see and hear has been carefully selected and edited by a massive team, coordinated by a system that has changed slowly for the worse over the course of decades.

And never forget that we are that system’s product, not its customers. We’re an audience, being sold to advertisers. Even if we pay for our newspaper or TV channel, 2/3 of its income comes from advertising. The “news” is essentially bait, as is the rest of its output. That’s why “news” comes in various political flavours.

I’m pretty sure I’d dislike Trump in real life, but I did speak up for him at the Quaker meeting I attend. Quakers are very diverse; the meeting I attend consists mostly of atheists, but something that unites them (us? I haven’t actually joined) is our opposition to war and injustice. At meeting, someone spoke in criticism of Trump. I thought for a bit, and then spoke myself, pointing out that he was the first US president in a very long time who hadn’t actually started a major war. Credit where it’s due.