New World Shifting to the Indo-Pacific new nuclear powered submarines

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum New World Shifting to the Indo-Pacific new nuclear powered submarines

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    michael norton

When Scotland becomes Independent, I expect all the Royal Navy Facilities will be as quickly as possible be shifted to other locations, outside of Scotland. Unless workers are nearing retirement I expect they would also shift South, so they could retain their employment.
    Are we expecting that these workers will have to choose, either to be Scottish and no longer work for the Royal Navy or will they just retain their U.K. status?
    In anyway a massive loss of income for Scotland, would go, when the Royal Navy goes.

#78109 Reply
    Clark

“When Scotland becomes Independent, I expect all the Royal Navy Facilities will be as quickly as possible be shifted to other locations, outside of Scotland.”

I don’t. The way the SNP leadership has been acting, and the number of neocons accumulating at the head of the party, I expect the SNP to keep the nukes and make a bid to become a leading light in either NATO or the new AUKUS. The top of the SNP has been filling up with warmongers for a few years now; their treatment of both Craig and Alex Salmond, their apparent indifference about Assange, and their new-found silence about Palestine are all consistent with this.

Of course, the membership of the party might foil this, but a lot of them seem to be too busy shouting about gender issues.

#78143 Reply
    michael norton

Scotland powers ahead building a new class of warship for the Royal Navy.

Work has officially started on a £1.25bn project to build five new warships for the Royal Navy.

United Kingdom Defence Secretary Ben Wallace cut the first steel for the first Type 31 frigate – HMS Venturer – due to be built by Babcock at Rosyth in Fife.

The fleet’s construction will support about 1,250 highly skilled jobs at Babcock and lead to an additional 150 apprenticeships.

It is also expected to support a further 1,250 UK supply chain roles.

BBC News – Construction work starts on new Type 31 warships (23 Sep 2021)

#78149 Reply
    michael norton

Wow, this must be symbolic.
    The first Type 31 being built at Rosyth will be known as HMS Venturer,
    wait for it … it is named after the World War 2 submarine HMS Venturer, the only submarine ever to have, while underwater, destroyed an enemy submarine in underwater battle, symbolises technology and innovation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Venturer_(Type_31_frigate)
    So they have chosen this name with purpose.

#78312 Reply
    michael norton

Apparently the “advantage” the Astute has over the French Suffren class |¬¶|
    is the Royal Navy Astute has a smaller, higher potency reactor. |¦|
    I practise, the Astute reactor is fueled for the life of the submarine.
    The French submarines are expected to be taken out of service and refuelled a couple of times during their working life. |¦|
    This may mean that the French subs have a slightly extended overall life |¦|
    but they will have one or two long fuel re-fits.
    With the French subs, you will need more subs to achieve the same coverage.
    So far, none of the Suffren class are on active duty, they still rely on the Rubis class, |¦|
    of which only four are active.

[ Mod: FYI, Michael, the symbol |¬¶| means ‘no new paragraph’. You were asked to stop splitting your sentences across different lines, and it seems you’ve taken no notice. ]

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by modbot.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by modbot. Reason: To put the mod message back, as it's clear michael norton hasn't taken any notice
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by modbot. Reason: To put the mod message back, as it's clear michael norton hasn't taken any notice
    #78434 Reply
    michael norton

The Astute Reactor is fuelled only once. The Astute can circumnavigate the World without surfacing.
    The Astute submarine is leaps ahead of the French Attack Submarine.

#78478 Reply
    michael norton

Angry Macron, shifts his attention from the Indo-Pacific to the Eastern Mediterranean Basin.

“Tensions between Greece and Turkey have been rising over “Disputed Waters/Natural Gas Reserves” in the Eastern Mediterranean that contain massive fossil fuel reserves.

When Macron was asked whether this deal risked raising tensions in the eastern Mediterranean, Macron said the accord did not target a country specifically, but Greece, as the outer border of the European Union needed to be protected.

I don’t get the feeling that in the summer of 2020 it was Greece that was bellicose in the eastern Mediterranean, Macron said, alluding to Turkish actions in the region.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1498784/Emmanuel-macron-France-Greece-defence-deal-turkey-eu-army-news

Actually, in this case, Macron is correct, Turkey, although nominally part of NATO has been going rogue.
    I expect Macron has been tipped the wink by Uncle Joe.
    Turkey is wanting to purchase more missiles from Russia.

#78479 Reply
    michael norton

“Under the agreement Athens agreed to buy three frigates from France with an option to buy a fourth. The accord, part of a broader strategic military and defence cooperation pact, comes after Athens had already ordered some 24 Dassault-made Rafale fighter jets this year, making it the first European Union country to buy the fighter jet.

“This will tie us for decades,” Mitsotakis said.

“This opens the door to the Europe of tomorrow that is strong and autonomous, capable of defending its interests.”

This will infuriate the Turkish Regime, who are currently warming up to Putin.
    Watch this run.

#78485 Reply
    Clark

“Disputed Waters/Natural Gas Reserves” in the Eastern Mediterranean that contain massive fossil fuel reserves.

Do you think there should be war over these reserves?

And what do you suppose “massive” means? By which I mean, how long would these reserves last at current consumption rates?

#78523 Reply
    Pigeon English

Clark

He provided links to an article in another thread about East Med.

I am sorry but I still believe all those threads do not make sense.

I was informed that Climate the science etc. was meant to be about Climate

and yet we talk about old days when we where kids.

This is wrong thread and I apologize!

Yes I am aware that on the right is latest posts but if 3 of them are on same topics You would miss other comments.

#78524 Reply
    Pigeon English

What has Indo-Pacific got to do with East Med?

#78530 Reply
    michael norton

Pigeon English, it is often the case that there are overlapping themes/moments of interest, across several threads.
    New World Shifting to the Indo-Pacific new nuclear powered submarines |¦|
    was about the Australians/U.S.A. and U.K. stuffing the French over a deal to sell non-nuclear subs to Australia.
    The Chinese have been sucking up World supplies of raw materials, also constructing bases on coral in the South China sea in an area of interest to Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore/Philippines/Thailand.
    The French have quickly swapped customers are now cleverly are selling fighter jets and frigates to the Greeks.
    In part, playing their part to stuff the Turks |¦|
    and get their sticky fingers on the Methane of the Eastern Mediterranean Basin.
    It it known as geopolitics.

#78544 Reply
    Clark

Pigeon English, you are right; subjects that at first seem to be separate ultimately prove related. Moderators however still need the “on-topic” rule to maintain a semblance of order – or these threads could end up like Facebook where, for instance, discussions about climate change precipitating wildfires are frequently derailed by claims that the fires are actually started from orbiting laser satellites for political objectives. And yes, the software for these forums is full of bugs. Everything is suboptimal, and I too find it frustrating. But I appreciate your contributions, so please struggle on as best you can.

#78548 Reply
    Clark

The world’s governments are gearing up to fight over the very hydrocarbons that are setting up our world to roast itself.

We the people should prevent our governments from doing this; governments are helpless without the cooperation of the majority. But too few people understand the problem.

#78588 Reply
    michael norton

The Chinese Regime has been overflying Taiwan with nuclear bombers, today.

#78592 Reply
    ET

Eh, no they didn’t. See the MOA piece, it is fake news. What exactly is a nuclear bomber? Is it an aircraft capable of carrying a nuke even if one isn’t on-board or an aircraft actually carrying an armed nuclear device prepared for deployment.
    Look at the map of Taiwan’s claimed air defense identification zone (ADIZ) in the link I posted above, it encompasses part of mainland China. Michael, this is propaganda. Western anti-China propaganda. For sure China has its own anti-western propaganda but recognise it for what it is.

From a few of your other posts about China MN suspect you have a mind’s eye view of China as it was in Mao’s time. It ain’t that in 2021. A fact that totally surprised me is that over 150 million chinese people made outbound tourist trips in 2019. Chinese people are the largest tourist market and growing.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by degmod.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by modbot. Reason: Propoganda => propaganda
    #78597 Reply
    ET

Part of me cringes MN when I write “Chinese people.” I would rather just say “people.” How about you?

#78603 Reply
    michael norton

This is a little gem from the wayback machine

“The Americans recently said they would cut the number of missiles on their submarines from 24 to 16.

The MoD’s announcement that Britain will use a 12-tube unit is thought to be the first public acknowledgement of its kind. Mr Ingram suggested Britain and the US had compromised between their respective preferences – eight and 16 missiles – with the 12-tube unit figure.

It could spark outrage among Republican members of Congress, who expressed concern about the negative impact cutting the number of missiles on board America’s submarines from 24 to 16 could have on the US’ national security.

The MoD refused to confirm whether a compromise had taken place, or whether the UK would have to increase the size of the new submarines as a result.

“Discussions with the US are ongoing,” a spokesperson said.

The US’ Ohio-class submarine fleet entered service a few years before Britain’s current Trident submarines – but they have a 40-year lifetime, compared to the 30-year lifetime of Britain’s nuclear submarines.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20110527052754/http://www.politics.co.uk/news/foreign-policy/exclusive-us-cooperation-may-drive-up-trident-cost-$21388988.htm

Thursday, 26, May 2011 12:05
    “Delving further into the piece, it was claimed by Defence Secretary Liam Fox insisted in the Commons that the overall Trident bill would not rise above the £20 billion budget originally announced in 2006.”

A more recent figure I had heard for the whole life Trident Programme was one third of a trillion pounds,
    that subs, missiles breaking them up – the lot.

#78614 Reply
    michael norton

Perhaps the BBC are making this up?

“Taiwan has reported 38 Chinese military jets flying into its air defence zone on Friday – the largest incursion by Beijing to date.

The defence ministry said the planes, including nuclear-capable bombers, entered the area in two waves.

Taiwan responded by scrambling its jets and deploying missile systems.

China sees democratic Taiwan as a breakaway province, but Taiwan sees itself as a sovereign state.

Taiwan has been complaining for more than a year about repeated missions by China’s air force near the island.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58771369

I thought the story used to be, that China broke away from Taiwan.

I am not sure if any of it is true but it does seem to be ramping up in the South China Sea.
    https://www.rt.com/news/536365-taiwan-accuses-china-incursion-aircraft/

On another note, connected or not, the leader of the Philippines, Duterte is leaving politics.
    https://www.rt.com/news/536412-duterte-philippines-retires-politics/

#78617 Reply
    michael norton

Lots of rather interesting stuff here. Trident silos in blocks of four, this is early lead stuff.

“The Ohio replacement design effort will borrow from developments in the Virginia- and Seawolf-class attack submarines. Innovations planned for the Ohio replacement include an new electric propulsion system nuclear reactor to reduce maintenance time and costs.

This is a Joint U.S./United Kingdom contract that combines purchases for the U.S. Navy (34 percent) and the government of the United Kingdom (66 percent) under the Foreign Military Sales program.”

https://www.militaryaerospace.com/computers/article/16714609/navy-moves-forward-on-common-missile-compartment-for-future-us-and-uk-nuclear-submarine

It would seem that the U.S.A. and the U.K. will be constructing almost identical nuclear submarines.
    That is something they have not made very public before AUKUS.

#78623 Reply
    Pigeon English

MN
    you obviously didn’t read ET’s link to MoA.

What is Air defence zone according to you and BBC?

If I search for it it gives me: Air defence identification zone!

Looking forward to explanation …

#78627 Reply
    michael norton

PE, I do not think I can help you.
    I have never, ever, ever, looked at MOA.

#78628 Reply
    michael norton

Maybe this is what Australia is after?
    Block V Virginia class VPM nuclear powered attack submarines
    The VPM adds four large payload tubes in a new hull section, increasing the submarines’ Tomahawk strike capacity from 12 to 40 missiles per boat. The VPM will also enable robot vessels to be carried. The VPM will also enable special operations forces and allow the U.S.A. Navy to carry additional weapons. The VPM, Block V subs will also have “British” acoustic design changes. Virgina class subs displace 7,800 tons, with a hull length of 377 feet. With VPM the subs will displace 10,200 tons and will be 460 feet long.

Some upgrade.

#78634 Reply
    ET

“I have never, ever, ever, looked at MOA.”

Why not? Like here, it’s a one man show with some very astute current affairs analysis. Does it occur to you MN that ignoring the links others post and expecting those same others to read your links is a bit rude? You might learn something.

Further down in the BBC article you linked it states:

“In a statement on Friday, Taiwan’s defence ministry said 25 People’s Liberation Army (PLA) planes entered the south-western part of the air defence identification zone (ADIZ) during daylight hours, flying near the Pratas Islands atoll.

An air defence identification zone is an area outside of a country’s territory and national airspace – but where foreign aircraft are still identified, monitored, and controlled in the interest of national security.

It is self-declared and technically remains international airspace.”

Note that last sentence, self-declared and technically remains international airspace. Therefore it’s unenforcable and has zero standing in international law. So yes, the BBC is not stating the whole truth. Stop reading the BBC MN they are leading you astray and colouring your views with propaganda.

#78636 Reply
    ET

Also, China has been doing this for years, it ain’t anything new. There are similar reports going back if you care to search.

#78653 Reply
    michael norton

ET you have a good point. I don’t have enough time to read everything and mainly for that reason I do not intend becoming hooked by MOA. We each should pursue our interests where they take us, if we have time. My interests are mainly conservation, doing actual, physical projects, outdoors.

“The matters addressed in this correspondence do not provide any authorization to continue work, or for the reimbursement of that work,” the director general of the Future Submarine Program, Royal Australian Navy Commodore Craig Bourke wrote in it, as quoted by The Guardian. The letter, dated and sent on September 15, ahead of communication between Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and French President Emmanuel Macron, acknowledged only the French contractor’s achievements in the initial stages.”

https://www.rt.com/news/536424-australia-france-submarines-letter/

I guess the sense of this is that the French were keener on selling subs to Australia than Australia to buy old tech from the French.

#78665 Reply
    michael norton

“The U.S.A. has said it is “very concerned” by China’s “provocative” actions after Taiwan claimed some 93 Chinese military planes had flown into its air defence zone in the past three days.
    The U.S.A. state department called the actions “destabilizing” and reiterated its “rock solid” commitment to Taiwan.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58780258

Well ET and Pigeon English, looks like the Americans believe it. Or it did not happen and they want the World to believe it did happen?

#78671 Reply
    ET

Michael, what part of “no Chinese aircraft flew into or over Taiwanese airspace” do you not understand (or don’t want to understand)? Again, in the BBC article you linked to they repeat verbatim what I quoted at October 2, 2021 at 20:50. They use the same unsubtle “Chinese military planes had flown into its (Taiwan’s) air defence zone in the past three days” in the first few lines, which is as far as most people will read, then later in the article point out it is an “air defence identification zone” and that an ADIZ “is self-declared and technically remains international airspace.”

From the MoA article I linked there is a graphic of Taiwan’s supposed ADIZ, though as you didn’t bother to refer to it you most likely didn’t (or don’t want to) see it. From said piece:

“Taiwan’s ADIZ is quite ridiculous as it covers parts of mainland China:

Taiwan has an ADIZ that covers most of the Taiwan Strait, part of the Chinese province of Fujian, Zhejiang, and Jiangxi and part of the East China Sea and adjacent airspace. Most of the ADIZ of Taiwan is built on its exclusive economic zone. Taiwan’s ADIZ was designed and created by the United States Armed Forces (USAF) after World War II.”

“Chinese planes flew near to Pratas Island (Dongsha) which China as well as Taiwan both claim as their territory.”

Their ADIZ incorporates part of mainland China! It’s ridiculous and being hyped by the usual press suspects. Do you really think, Michael, that the MSM ought to be reporting this in the way they are and deliberately racheting up tensions for the gullible?

#78703 Reply
    michael norton

Well, as you now know, the Americans and the U.K. and Australia are going to be focusing on China.
    As we also know, news outlets are fed this stuff to print and promote. I have no way of knowing if any, some or all of it is true and I suspect neither does MOA. The AUKUS is not just about nuclear powered submarines, it is multi-war or propaganda, cyberwarfare, intelligence, A.I., Lateral Thinking, the works.
    Almost certainly this was put in place by The Donald. I expect it does not matter if we believe it or not, the idea is to confuse the Chinese Regime. Almost certainly the idea will be to contain China by any way they can. Yes it will get ugly, quickly. I did not believe any of the Novichok stuff, at all. Yet our government, either want us to believe it, be confused by it or worried by those non-events.

#78704 Reply
    michael norton

Royal Navy gunboats are on standby to “uphold the law” as tensions escalate in the English Channel, Defence Secretary Ben Wallace warned.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1500464/royal-navy-gunboats-channel-row-french-fisherman

Macron and his henchmen are threatening to cut electricity exports from France to England, unless England, comes to heel.
    I thought the French Interconnector had caught fire and no longer worked, at least for now?

#78705 Reply
    Pigeon English

MN

As Americans would say It’s a nothingburger.

#78721 Reply
    michael norton

Kim Jong Un reopens communication in wake of missile tests to ‘rehabilitate’ relations with Seoul.
    https://www.ft.com/content/fc639641-37e3-4a2d-bf6e-ddbff03b7a19
    The Donald’s mate, the esteemed leader of North Korea has reconnected the hot-line to South Korea, maybe he wants to come in from the cold? It was off the wall, when Donald went to Korea to chat with Kim. It is possible if Donald had kept the presidency, that the war between North and South, could have been ended.

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
    https://www.ft.com/content/fc639641-37e3-4a2d-bf6e-ddbff03b7a19

“North Korea has tested train-launched ballistic, long-range cruise, hypersonic and anti-aircraft missile systems in recent weeks. At the same time, Kim Yo Jong, the dictator’s sister who was elevated to the country’s powerful State Affairs Commission last week, castigated Seoul and Washington for their “hostile policy” towards the North.”

#78727 Reply
    michael norton

I thought it was rather good, that Donald Trump, made the effort to engage with Kim, sort of make Kim feel like a world leader.

I wonder if Donald has kept communication ongoing with Kim?

The Russians are considering extending the Trans Siberian railway down into North Korea and who knows maybe as far as South Korea.

#78748 Reply
    Pigeon English

Mn

your Express article has nothing do do with either Indo-pacific or intereconnector.

Btw France has no obligation to provide/sell Electricity to UK. Maybe interconnector is in use NOW.

I know you you do not have time to check status of interconnector or other links provided in discussion.

EU needs more UK than UK needs …….. Maybe French and the henchman do not agree with you

#78842 Reply
    michael norton

Interconnexion France Angleterre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HVDC_Cross-Channel

Quote Wikipedia:

“A fire in September 2021 caused the link to be removed from service. National Grid announced that half of its capacity would be restored within a fortnight, with full capacity being restored after six months.”

France, are even today threatening this that and the other to the U.K.

“France has intensified pressure on the U.K. over post-Brexit fishing rights, warning bilateral co-operation could be at risk. France on Tuesday repeated its threat to cut the U.K. off from energy supplies.

A U.K. government document in July said that 47% of the country’s electricity imports were from France.

French Europe Minister Clément Beaune told Europe 1 radio: “The U.K. depends on our energy exports, they think they can live alone while also beating up on Europe and, given that it doesn’t work, they engage in aggressive one-upmanship.”

We should tell the French to fuck off and take Hinkley Point C with them.

#78882 Reply
    Pigeon English

MN

according to you, energy in UK went up 32 times or over 3000 % and you talk about indo-pacific and you want UK to tell France to fuck off!

#78888 Reply
    michael norton

Pigeon English, it does sound incredible, does it not, that is why it heralds an Economic Crash of World Wide Proportions – watch this space.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cxwdwz5d8gxt/natural-gas
    You cannot have the price of fuel go up by thirty times in just over a year, without a World Crash.

#78893 Reply
    michael norton

France are so angry with England they are spitting Cockerel Feathers. There has been a rivalry between France and England for a thousand years. They hate the fact they are riddled with corruption and inefficiency and decay. We both had massive empires, both now gone but England has the Hinterland of the English Speaking World, South Africa, U.S.A., Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland and the United Kingdom. Aviation runs on using English. Science runs on using English.
    All this makes France Angry as Fuck.

#78892 Reply
    michael norton

Pigeon English, the U.K. voted to EXIT the E.U. eventually we did leave the E.U. Nobody thought we would be allowed to leave but fantastically we did go it alone. We do not care one half penny what the E.U. says or does, we have left. The U.K. was the first Global Power. Alright, we will never be Number One again but we will be Number Five. France is virtually done.
    They have a hated President. They always have riots.
    This almost never happens in England. The French Economy is based of Government Money, some say 40% of people in work in France get paid by Government Money. The French Economy is in a death spiral.

#78904 Reply
    Pigeon English

Mn
    According to your link you picked up the lowest point. Why not One year or Two?

If NS2 gets certified, prices will drop quickly (not sure about UK).

I am pleased to know that there is no corruption in UK and you are governed by clean government with big public support.

According to world in data you are 6th. (India 5th)

You do not care about EU and likewise they care even less about UK

Public service % of GDP UK about 41% ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
Reply To: New World Shifting to the Indo-Pacific new nuclear powered submarines
Your information: