Reply To: Eastern Europe struggling to adjust to loss of identity in the European Union

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Eastern Europe struggling to adjust to loss of identity in the European Union Reply To: Eastern Europe struggling to adjust to loss of identity in the European Union

michael norton

ET, the title of this conversation is “Eastern Europe struggling to adjust to loss of identity in the European Union”
that is what I am trying to think about. If the U.K. had not voted for Brexit, we presumably would be rushing to Poland to help the Poles? We certainly helped the Poles during and just after the war, I grew up with some of them.
Of course I understand that over time, moral values change. We no longer are required to practise archery, each week.
We are no longer expected to go to church, each week. People no longer have to be quiet and modest on a Sunday. We no longer have the death penalty. We no longer have an empire. We no longer have conscription.

But over the last half century we have been invaded.
I am not saying this is all bad, most has probably been beneficial.
On Friday I was in A&E with broken ribs and a nicked lung, the consultant was an Indian chap, he told me, he had been in the same job for 28 years. He could not have been more caring, he even rang me at home, Sunday night, to check on me and badger me to contact my G.P. service on Monday.
The vast majority of people who come to the U.K. do so because they want a good life and they do their best to fit in.

But hundreds of thousands, do not want to fit in. They want us to change and their pressure is relentless.
They make me quite uncomfortable, I fear for our future, that we will be forced to lose our identity.