Please Lets have an Edit function

Latest News Forums Site technical issues and feedback Please Lets have an Edit function

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Rogers

Craig/ Site Operators,

Despite your recent site-overhaul, you are still absent a ‘Edit Function’ for posters to have an ability to sub/Edit posts they are making, or have posted.

Many sites utilising Word Press have an Edit function, which allows Posters to edit out grammar errors before committing to posterity, usually a timeline of 5 mins is given, thus ensuring our Posts are corrected if, as with me, we have produced gibberish due to “Auto Correct, or bad typing skills, of which I’m notorious.

However, and helping improve site communication for all, an Edit facility would help greatly.

Is this at all possible with the software you are using, and if so, what timeline should we expect such a facility to appear in?

#33784 Reply
    Phil the ex frog

Edit buttons don’t necessarily improve anything. In fact they can boggle communication.

Some might change their comment, belatedly seeing their lack of clarity, leaving replies hanging like meaningless tripe. The less ingenuous might even be inclined to update the meaning of their comment to cover the track of their hurried stupidity and/or undermine critical responses.

We don’t need to edit. We just need to better consider what we write. Don’t rush. Comment less. That’s my advise I don’t stick to.

#33785 Reply
    Chris Rogers

As I’ve mentioned Naked Capitalism a few times of late, their system of ‘self-edit’ ensures that no post reaches the boards that has not been checked by the poster themselves, i.e., the function exists for a limited time span and you must commit to the validity of your comment in the timespan before any further change is forbidden – in no way does that system interfere with the flow of dialogue, if only its difficult to respond to an ‘unedited’ post if it has yet to formally appear.

That said, whilst thought and consideration going into posts is to be applauded, the fact remains in many instances posters, especially myself, are actually reacting in ‘realtime’ with information at our disposal in a ‘realtime’ environment.

However, thanks for your response, it will be interesting to note what others think to an idea that may add to the value and import of the Blog.

#33786 Reply
    lysias

If the original comment is left up after the edit, and the only result of the edit is to display a version marked “edit” after the original version, wouldn’t that answer your objection?

#33921 Reply
    d

There is no need for edit function.

Use a text editor, read your text carefully.
    Copy your text to the web page and post.
    If you made a mistake, get over it!

https://diasp.eu/posts/4304897

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Please Lets have an Edit function
Your information: