TTIP -related

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum TTIP -related

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ba’al Zevul

TTIP crops up from time to time elsewhere on CM, but usually at the edges of some other debate. Perhaps it’s time to put it front and centre. I just found this –

https://ttip-leaks.org/

– which I haven’t had time to scrutinise yet, but I think might be a good starting point. It may even modify a few cherished assumptions about the desirability of EU membership, should TTIP be implemented. But, note, it may be easier for the US to stitch us up outside the EU. The floor is open.

#33780 Reply
    Chris Rogers

I can recommend Naked Capitalism, which has a nightly post area dedicated to TTIP under its ‘Water Cooler” section – you’ll notice I sometimes post here myself, although many posts are ofter stuck in pre-moderation for ages.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com

#33781 Reply
    RobG

I could bang on about these trade deals for ages, but my posts often get removed by Mods. Instead I’ll link to a recent piece by Paul Craig Roberts, who has the same take on all this as me, and Roberts finishes his piece with this:

No government representative who has the slightest bit of integrity and patriotism would have approved these agreements, and no legislative body that is not competely corrupt would hand its power and function over to global corporations.

Trans-Atlantic & Trans-Pacific “Partnerships” Complete Corporate World Takeover — Paul Craig Roberts

#33782 Reply
    Chris Rogers

You can always join the legion of commentaries at Naked Capitalism, a large contingent of Brits and certainly not a place for neoliberal of neocons to strut their stuff – more websites than CM’s, which after all is Human Right’s themed, whilst NC is definitely political economy.

#33783 Reply
    RobG

Chris, thanks for the link to Naked Capitalism. I’ll check it out.

The Guardian have published this today…

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/03/doubts-rise-over-ttip-as-france-threatens-to-block-eu-us-deal

… and claim that they broke the story about Greenpeace publishing the TTIP leak. Not true. Some in the ‘alternative media’ were reporting it days before the Guardian did. The only reason the Guardian reported on it, and now have it up on the front page of their online edition, is because TTIP was getting so much traction in the alternative media.

Sadly, though, the majority of people still don’t realise, or want to realise, just how close we are towards slipping into a full-blown fascist police state (and it’s all been written into law over the last decade or so). A minor example of this is what’s happened to the Guardian newspaper. It’s right there in your face, but people still don’t want to believe it.

#33869 Reply
    Ba’al Zevul

Exhaustive commentary on TTIP as it affects healthcare from Naked Capitalism.

Michael Hudson: Warning to Europe – How the TTIP Threatens Public Health Care and Pensions

#33895 Reply
    nevermind

I agree that TTIP should have generated a far wider discussion in this country, when others in Europe are on the streets 24/7. Hanover being one such City.
    Now that much of the general gyuist has been leaked, we should try and find comments on the substantive from those who sat in negotiations and could not stomach the implications this treaty would bring.
    The Monroe doctrine is bad enough, but to usurp Government and democratic resolve to get your way is piracy.
    As I have no other term for this unprecedented treaty, Doha and Uruguay trade rounds are merely leading into this really bad control freakery.
    It also raises the question as to where our future interests lie. Do they lie with the here and now, or in the future with our children and what is left for them?
    Do our interest lie in the unfettered low/No tax transatlantic junk food trade, a deregulation of chemical hazards,environmental hazards, genetic manipulations with strong,dominant marker genes running havoc and all foods that spring from them, transport regulations/specifications, pollution limits, competition laws, wage structures rules and regs., making us all liable for mistakes that happen under that regime.

AND ALL OF IT NEGOTIATED OVER OUR HEADS BY UNELECTED COMMISSIONERS?

NO WAY JOSE!
    Our interests,imho lie here in Europe and Eurasia. We should do everything in our powers to stop a war in Europe fought for neocon reasons to get at Putin and Russias resources. What has been going on in Ukraine since they shot the plane down should be far more controlled than to just leave it to NATO.
    Our interests to be in Europe are traditional, historic and depict our needs now and in future. Needs that can’t be met by a fracked out, not just in energy terms, society that can’t live with higher energy prices, a society that fetters the most expensive dream lifestyles on earth, harbouring a ferocious throw away attitude, fearful, armed, crassly divided and ghetto-rised, Varying economic prospects have created parallel economic activities, some very unsustainable and dangerous, lead by a power structure that involves massive companies and the military industrial complex running puppet regimes for international gain by ANY MEANS.

And this is were Europe has something different to offer us, dialogue and partnership with a people which have lived with each other for over a thousand years, have quarrelled and cooperated with, in good and in hard times, a commonwealth of equals at our doorstep. Should I mention the Erasmus programme? how much we have grown together? our common ancestry ( we are all saxons now:)
    our common responsibilities to protect out people and theirs as well as our children’s prospects here.

good news is that most of the three year negotiations are stuck, TTIP will not be signed this year, however much more refugees are being created in Libya.
    And we all know which woman to say thank you to for her active interference in Libya. C’mon Bernie, persuade the democrats to get their braincells out of the freezer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: TTIP -related
Your information: