Reply To: SARS cov2 and Covid 19

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum SARS cov2 and Covid 19 Reply To: SARS cov2 and Covid 19

SA

And this was the letter I sent on 23/03/2020

Dear
I am one of your constituents. I have written to you earlier about the Covid-19 crisis concerning the flawed government response. Since then it has been widely agreed that this response was flawed and the Government has changed its stance although in my opinion the response is late and weak. However, I would like to make a suggestion.
The government is proposing to give businesses and self employed and those on zero hour contract support during this crisis which is highly commendable. Would it not be possible to give this help a positive twist so that the recipients are actually involved and committed? This can be done by way of requisitioning both workers and premises. Of course details need to be worked out, but currently the majority of the nation seems to be asked to sit at home helplessly whilst a minority are bearing the burden in carrying out essential services. The government and local councils can use this to for example do the following:
1. Requisition resources to organise transport safely for NHS and other essential workers.
2. Requisition resources to help the food industry to arrange and expand home food deliveries.
3. Organise locally a system of volunteers to ensure that the vulnerable are cared for.
4. Organise queues at places such as supermarkets.

I am sure there are other activities but this is just a blueprint.