Reply To: Eastern Europe struggling to adjust to loss of identity in the European Union

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Eastern Europe struggling to adjust to loss of identity in the European Union Reply To: Eastern Europe struggling to adjust to loss of identity in the European Union

michael norton

PE & ET I think I am agreeing with PE, that it is probably now pointless to assume many people now what British Values are.
I grew up in an unusually stable period, just after the war, you knew your place and were more or less satisfied. Hardly anybody we knew had much more than us, there seemed to be a commonality, equality. Other than the Poles, there were very, very few people from places other than the British Isles, were we lived.
We had only a coal fire in the living room, no other heating, it was often very cold.
No telephone, no T.V. no fridge, no freezer, no modern equipment. I am sure my mother would have desired modern stuff, had she been able to get it. One thing we did not have was fat people, almost nobody was fat.
So a much fitter, more austere but more stable world for us. Almost no cars. Lots of huge old trees, everywhere.
I suppose then we did understand British Values, I remember we could not play outside on a Sunday because it was the day of rest, that was annoying.