My Scotland

by craig on August 31, 2014 11:19 am in Uncategorized

Yesterday the licensing man from Dundee Council went down the taxi ranks ordering saltires and yes stickers removed from the taxis. (would he have ordered No stickers removed as well? We can never be sure as there weren’t any.)

Having missed the train to my Cupar meeting last night, I got in a taxi (it’s not far) and the taxi driver was giving his side of the story. He said he told the council man that “There is an argument that he was within his rights to tell me to remove the sticker, but when he told me to take off my lapel badge, I told him that he was infringing my absolute right to freedom of speech under article ten of the European Convention.”

This campaign has been the most uplifting experience imaginable. It will not be possible to put the people back in the box of media-induced apathy after this.

One of the most unexpectedly invigorating aspects of the campaign is that in packed town hall meetings, I have been sharing the platform with people who are not good public speakers. If that sounds paradoxical, it is because often they have never done any public speaking before. Yesterday in Cupar there was an excellent lady who works in the NHS who had a deep knowledge of its workings and of the threats from privatization of its services, including the mechanisms by which these privatisations were being advanced. She believed that after a No vote it would not be possible for the Scottish NHS to continue to be insulated from some of these trends, and she explained why she felt that.

There was no polish to her quiet delivery, but her heartfelt sincerity and the depth of her knowledge held the audience in intent silence. She had never spoken in public before. It was truly inspiring.

The substance of the campaign is people in local communities actually talking to each other about what is important to their communities and they way their society is organized. I have never seen anything to compare this to. No wonder the politicians have no idea how to counter it. The happy lack of hierarchical power structures in the campaign on the ground seems to relate to the fact that so many women are coming forward as speakers – for the third time, I was the only male on the panel yesterday.

Better Together have women too of course. Just in case anyone has been living under a rock and hasn’t seen it, here is the Saatchi and Saatchi produced Better Together broadcast that set the campaign on fire. The many spoofs are great, but I think nothing quite equals the sheer comic genius of the original.

sirte

I have added this picture as pro-government commenters have started to come on the site with their ridiculous propaganda claims that NATO killed very few people in its 398 bombing raids on Sirte. What you see is just one street of scores in similar condition. You can believe your eyes or the propaganda.

1 2 3 5

1. Fascist operatives in Dundee then.

Could not believe that there are only 19 councillors for a city with a population of 148,000.
    My poxy council has 50 for a population of <70,000.

~~~~

Your St Andrew's speech has got onto the Macedonian International News Agency website. The message is spreading far and wide. Good on you.

2. Craig is not driven by national pride (he’s English, born and bred where he continues to live). He is driven completely by his hatred of the British state after he was sacked from his job. While his stance at the time was commendable, unfortunately his vendetta against the ‘establishment’ clouds his judgment on pretty much everything he writes about. For example, a few days ago he was claiming (to an unquestioning Scottish audience) that the British killed 15,000 civilians in Sirte, which is total nonsense.

3. Al Milliner. can you prove Craig was lying about the 15000 killed in libya

4. Al Milliner

I have added a photo for you.

5. “He is driven completely by his hatred of the British state after he was sacked from his job”

Untrue. A while back Craig revealed that at some point during his tenure as an ambassador he was offered an honour, which he turned down because of his commitment to Scottish independence.

I think Craig’s main problem is hypocrisy. He is more than happy to re-assert his Englishness when convenient. When he was standing for Norwich North he produced a dvd that informed us that he was a Norfolk man through and through. When he lost he became Scottish again.

6. ” can you prove Craig was lying about the 15000 killed in libya? ”

7. “I have added this picture as pro-government commenters have started to come on the site with their ridiculous propaganda claims that NATO killed very few people in its 398 bombing raids on Sirte”

Craig, I claimed your figure of 15,000 was nonsense.

Gadaffi loyalists claimed 2,000 civilians dead, including those killed by the rebels.

Why are you making things up and then falsely representing my position?

8. I really find this fascination with my ethnicity peculiar. My father was from Edinburgh, my mother from Norfolk, where my father was posted in the RAF. I have lived in each country and abroad. I want Scotland to be independent for political reasons which I have outlined at great length. Nobody has suggested Scots should be locked in on independence.

9. MJ 12:11pm

Was his losing that election about the same time he decided the English are racist knuckle-draggers (presumably because they didn’t vote for him)?

10. Al Milliner

Actually I was referring to the claim on another thread that 150 had died. You are saying 2,000. My information from Libyan sources is that the toll was many many more, and the photographic evidence plus the sheer quantity of strikes by NATO and very heavy munitions used would support my view.

As with the bombing of Iraq and of Serbia, we are consistently fed lies about the number of people western intervention kills. What is your motive for accepting it?

11. Where does the 15,000 come from Craig?

12. My wife is annoyed by the BT stupid woman advert in ways she cannot express. But she identified quickly when I quoted Dickens’ description of the idiot boy in Barnaby Rudge: ‘A face illuminated by that which is not wit.’

13. Resident Dissident

31 Aug, 2014 - 12:34 pm

“I have lived in Norfolk and in Scotland and have family in both places. That I should stress genuine local links in each place is not in the least peculiar or “hypocritical”.”

Which is of course true for many people throughout the UK given that we have been in Union since 1707 – so all the more reason not to create artificial barriers between people. Anyway the claims of Northumbria to Edinburgh and what are now the lowlands of Scotland predate those of the Picts – so Yorkshiremen and Geordies rise up and stop the sons of Norfolk from stealing your rightful inheritance!

14. Craig: anyone born on these isles doesn’t have to look far back into their ancestry to find English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish roots. That’s the nature of being British. To choose your nationality depending on which constituency you’re standing for is just a pathetic politician’s trick.

15. MJ

You have a peculiar view of exclusivity. I have dual nationality. In Norfolk I several times made the point that like Ian Gibson I was a supporter of Scottish independence. If you look at the video of that St Andrews apeech, I am standing next to a large banner that says “English Scots for Yes”. I have never been disingenuous about my mixed background. I can’t understand why it is such an issue for you unionists.

16. The Duchy of Saville's last appeal

31 Aug, 2014 - 12:46 pm

Talk about Craig, talk about Lybya, talk about anything, anything at all but the Scottish people’s public happiness at the chance to get free of this criminal, degenerate British state.

17. “media-induced apathy”

Interesting concept – how does it work?

18. @mj

“Craig: anyone born on these isles doesn’t have to look far back into their ancestry to find English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish roots. That’s the nature of being British.”

Isn’t it just the nature of being human? I was born in Scotland of Irish parents, I have Irish citizenship and an Irish passport, my wife is a Ukrainian Jew with an American passport, and we are out together on the streets campaigning for control over the place where we live. It seems quite natural to us.

I can understand your racism simply because it is common, but I don’t know why you should think it is a useful prop for the Union.

19. “I can’t understand why it is such an issue for you unionists”

The question of separate nationality within the UK seems more of an issue for you separatists. Most people, with good reason, don’t care any more.

20. The “Better Together” video was actually very interesting, as it showed precisely where the No campaign are aiming. Like most advertising it aims to stimulate an emotion, or set of emotions, and connect them with an idea. The emotions summoned up by this film were fear, cynicism, and resentment of anyone who seems more confident, articulate, and better-informed than oneself. With a final touch of mother-love to lighten the scene a bit- because too much negativity is offputting.

These emotions are common in any society. But the fact that the No campaign are reduced to appealing to them, says a lot about them. Had I been Scottish, I’d have been ashamed to vote No after watching this video.

21. MJ

After weeks of pretending you supported independence, except were against it if Scotland did not have its own currency – a stance that was always transparently dishonest from your comments – it is good to see you finally coming out as a simple Britnat unionist ranting against separatists.

22. Resident Dissident

31 Aug, 2014 - 1:23 pm

“The emotions summoned up by this film were fear, cynicism, and resentment of anyone who seems more confident,”

Or you could have said doubt, realism and dislike of the arrogant – your use of language undermines your faux neutrality I’m afraid. One of the golden rules of political campaigning that Craig has failed to appreciate is that negative campaigning only strengthens existing views rather than changes them.

23. Self-determination up your arse

31 Aug, 2014 - 2:08 pm

Only strengthens existing views, Splendid! Since existing views, properly elicited, are more than adequate to shitcan the failing British police state.

24. Smoothface’s and Billy Fourteen Pints’ finest hour sickeningly referred to as an ‘intervention’ just as the massacre in Gaza is the result of a ‘conflict’.

Costs[edit]

Funds spent by Foreign Powers on War in Libya.
    Country/Funds Spent
    By

United Kingdom $336–$1,500 million USD September 2011 (estimate)[232][233]
    United States $896 – US$1,100 million October 2011[234][235][236][237][238]
    Italy $700 million EUR October 2011[239]
    France $450 million EUR September 2011[240][241]
    Turkey US$300 million July 2011[242]
    Denmark $120 million EUR November 2011[243]
    Belgium $58 million EUR October 2011[244]
    Spain $50 million EUR September 2011[245]
    Sweden US$50 million October 2011[246]
    Canada US$26 million June 2011[247]

On 22 March 2011, BBC News presented a breakdown of the likely costs to the UK of the mission.[248] Journalist Francis Tusa, editor of Defence Analysis, estimated that flying a Tornado GR4 would cost about £35,000 an hour (aprx. US$48,000), so the cost of patrolling one sector of Libyan airspace would be £2M –£3M ($2.75M -$4.13M USD) per day. Conventional airborne missiles would cost £800,000 each and Tomahawk cruise missiles £750,000 each. Professor Malcolm Charmers of the Royal United Services Institute similarly suggested that a single cruise missile would cost about £500,000, while a single Tornado sortie would cost about £30,000 in fuel alone. If a Tornado was downed the replacement cost would be upwards of £50m. By 22 March the US and UK had already fired more than 110 cruise missiles. UK Chancellor George Osborne had said that the MoD estimate of the operation cost was “tens rather than hundreds of millions”. On 4 April Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton said that the RAF was planning to continue operations over Libya for at least six months.[249]

The cost for Greece was $1 million daily.[250]

Plus Plus

‘The number of war wounded is currently estimated to be at least 50,000, including some 20,000 with serious injuries, but is expected to rise, Barakat said.’ Huff Post

~~

PS Don’t the supporters of the war criminals love the counting of numbers killed in the wars and disputing them. One death is too many.

25. Resident Dissident

31 Aug, 2014 - 2:13 pm

“Only strengthens existing views, Splendid!”

Clearly you have not seen the opinion polls.

26. “After weeks of pretending you supported independence, except were against it if Scotland did not have its own currency”

My position has always been that you can’t be independent without your own currency.

“it is good to see you finally coming out as a simple Britnat unionist ranting against separatists”

I certainly believe in the independent nation state because that seems the best structure we have for empowering people as a whole. Part of me thinks that the island of Great Britain and its people forms an almost perfect nation state: clearly defined and not too big or too small. It already has its own currency and central bank but the country has been taken over by the bankers of the City and, more recently, the EU. I would like to see the UK as a whole throw off these shackles and become independent again.

Failing that however a truly independent Scotland is the next best thing. If it was able to extricate itself from the banksters then I’d be in favour of the rest of us submitting to Scottish rule and renaming the whole island Scotland.

27. Self-determination up your urethra

31 Aug, 2014 - 2:20 pm

Res diss, you fucking liar.

You can’t even argue the subsequent trends. Your only hope is stuffing ballot boxes, to which you will doubtless resort.

28. Yes Campaign Accused Of ‘Sinister’ Mobbery
    Labour’s Jim Murphy accuses the Yes campaign of disrupting meetings, as Alex Salmond claims there are “idiots” on both sides.

Sunday 31 August 2014

Video: Yes Campaign Accused Of ‘Mobbery’

A Scotland referendum No campaigner has accused the Yes campaign of “sinister” street mobbery after his tour visits were disrupted by crowds.

Labour frontbencher Jim Murphy described the abuse as “sinister”.

He said his last 12 No campaign meetings had been disrupted by hundreds of “co-ordinated” individuals throwing eggs and hurling abuse.

Mr Murphy has been staging a tour of 100 towns in 100 days with weeks to go until the referendum vote takes place.

Scottish independence information leaflets are placed on a table
    The Scottish referendum takes place on September 18

He told Sky News: “I don’t mind heckles, do you know what I don’t mind people throwing eggs, that’s just a dry cleaning bill that’s neither here nor there.

“Instead of turning up and crowds of people on all sides, I would turn up and there was an organised mob of yes supporters facilitated through the Yes Scotland organisations, through websites, through Facebook and other social media.

“This is co-ordinated, it’s sinister and there have been times, across the period, [there have been] hundreds of people involved in it.

“These are people intending to disrupt and silence undecided voters on street corners so they cannot have their say.”

Alex Salmond replied appropriately to the whinger.

29. You can almost taste the Britnat rage, let them vent now, it’s all over but for the vote.

The video has a touch of Jean Brodie, meets Acorn Antiques, they should have got Celia Imrie, this is Miss Babs to a T, and is so hilariously fake and staged, so cringe-inducing and insincere I’m certain now that BT/U-KOK itself is being run by secret Yes supporters, if not then their ocean’s breadth detachment from reality, must make them objects of pity. With Persistent Piss-Stain laying down “golden rules of political campigning”, plucked straight from somewhere, perhaps Oligarch Central Orifice, can I suggest this video is comedy and campaigning gold, the actress deserves wider recognition. I suppose once Miss Babs has gone out to work, perhaps as a High St. Loan Shark (sorry financial advisor), her cleaner comes in to give the house a once over.

I think this was one of the many compelling videos made in response to this load of rubbish.

30. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristocracy

Rule of the best. The way of the current system essentially natural law.
    All process of democracy run through this system.

31. “Your only hope is stuffing ballot boxes, to which you will doubtless resort”

Much planning going into policing the ballot. After Labour’s victory in Glenrothes (the marked up register disappeared, gosh how unlucky) I’m advised that I must be mounted on my 125cc scooter and ready to follow the van carrying the ballot boxes hither and thither until they get to the count. Exciting – I’m going to feel a bit like Matt Damon in the Bourne Identity.

32. More to the point can Craig prove it’s true. Pictures of a lot of trashed buildings prove nothing.

The proof is in the bombing indeed, as W. Penney spent a lot of time
    working out the affects of bombs and explosives on the surrounding area of the target site as well as its effects on human flesh.

He had made significant contributions made to the application of collisions, explosion events that created shock waves, and applications involving military use of hydrodynamics and gravitational waves. The Admiralty and Home Office asked Penney to investigate problems connected with the properties of under-water blast waves from high explosives, a subject of great importance in designing ships and torpedoes.

Hence it is a matter of simple arithmetic;

Planners, that is those organising the bomb runs, for the jet jockeys to proceed to bomb the designated targets. These planners have the geography of the area in mind, they also have the demography of the said area in mind. They then take account of the kill range of their ordnance, as well as its effective range, ie maim and injure severely radius of the chosen weapon type.

Thus the bombing runs are carried out based on these gruesome calculations of how many dead are these going to produce?

Those ghouls exactly know how many they are going to kill to a man, before a jet is airborne. However to keep the ordinary man in his stupor, and keep the stupid happy an on side, out come the ridiculously low and more “acceptable” figures of the dead for the media, that is then recorded as “historical facts”. This excercise effectively paving the way for the next campaign of mass murder, because no one really got to know how many were killed in the first place.

Fact that bombs and ordnance cost money and have to be put to use effectively somehow is never mentioned, because an effective use of killing industry product means deaths on industrial scale. This somehow dose not go along with the sinecure of; freedom, democracy and mum’s apple pie. Hence the under-reporting of the deaths by a huge margin, as the perpetrators are sure; dead men never talk!

Funny that the opaque transparency of the tonnage of bombs is another little secret that is never probed, after all the tonnage of bombs can then be compared to the standards of the ultimate evil WWII and the resulting parities could open up a whole host of unwanted cans of worm.

So yes Craig can prove the numbers of dead, and be pretty accurate about it all, all he needs is to find the tonnage of bombs, and the estimated kill ratio, and pretty soon can reveal how many corpses were produced so that some investor can get a pretty good return on their shares in the killing industry.

33. Self-determination up your nose

31 Aug, 2014 - 2:50 pm

Really, OSCE monitors are needed. A disintegrating state like Britain cannot be trusted, especially now that it’s been taken in hand by US coup-plotters.

34. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

31 Aug, 2014 - 2:52 pm

MJ

“A while back Craig revealed that at some point during his tenure as an ambassador he was offered an honour, which he turned down because of his commitment to Scottish independence.”
    ___________________

35. Resident Dissident

31 Aug, 2014 - 2:55 pm

“Res diss, you fucking liar.”

you lose the argument – next please

36. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 3:12 pm

Removal of the Saltire is not a new thing, fire engines in 2012 were forced to remove the the Saltire from their front grills,if memory serves me it was the Grampian region.

You’re spot on Craig regarding, public debating here there and everywhere, the grassroots campaign by the yes camp (not the no camp as they have to bus up grassroots campaigners from down south)has been nothing short of remarkable.

People all across Scotland and in all walks of life are now politically awake so to speak, men like Ivan McKee and Stewart Hosie, have inspired others to take to the dais.

I wonder if this is how Scots felt during the “Age of Enlightenment” Voltaire, once said, of Scotland.

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”

Maybe just maybe, an independent Scotland could lead the way again.

37. Self-determination down your throat

31 Aug, 2014 - 3:21 pm

Caught lying, res diss flounces archly away.

Wouldn’t know Bayesian inference if it dressed up like Jimmy Savile and watched you bathe.

38. Craig; Other than morale boosting, can you provide features, as well as benefits of independence? Possible unintended consequences?

39. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 3:26 pm

Former CIA contractor Steven Kelley says that the ISIL terrorist group is a completely fabricated enemy created and funded by the United States.

“This is a completely fabricated enemy,” he said in a phone interview with Press TV from Anaheim, California on Thursday.

“The funding is completely from the United States and its allies and for people to think that this enemy is something that needs to be attacked in Syria or Iraq is a farce because obviously this is something that we created, we control and only now it has become inconvenient for us to attack this group as a legitimate enemy,”

He made the remarks as US President Barack Obama is under pressure to seek congressional approval before expanding Washington’s military air campaign against ISIL targets from Iraq into neighboring Syria.

The Pentagon has already launched at least 100 airstrikes on ISIL positions in northern Iraq since Obama authorized the use of force against the terrorist group earlier this month.

A western backed terrorist regime,why am I not surprised.

40. Resident Dissident

31 Aug, 2014 - 3:33 pm

Idiot

If you were to bother looking at the article you highlight rather more closely you will see that writer is not forecasting a yes win – and indeed he is saying that the most likely outcome is a defeat – look at the normal curve showing the distribution of probable outcomes. Once you have understood the basic concepts and learnt some basic manners then we might get onto discussing whether the Bayesian inference applies in these circumstances – but I somehow doubt that it is within your intellectual and moral capacity.

41. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 3:34 pm

——————
    Ben

Firstly Scotland will be rid of one layer of needless government namely Westminster, with this we will also thankfully jettison the preposterous House of Lords, these 800 odd fat cats, and 20 odd more David Cameron created recently, will no longer feed from the Scottish trough.

Independence will allow Scotland to make its own decisions regarding whats best for its people, infrastructure and many other areas, it won’t be all sweetness and light there will be some tough decisions to make as well.

42. Thanks RoS,; I understand the dream of independence. I just don’t understand how the New Boss will be different from the Old.

There’s a lot of ways of making an omelette, but they are still made from eggs. I want to know what breed of chicken will come out when it hatches.

There is no predictor, except human nature.

43. Resident Dissident

31 Aug, 2014 - 3:41 pm

These guys usually have a rather better appreciation of statistics than our friends

However, if you think that abusing no voters will improve the chances of the yes campaign then please feel free to follow your inclination.

44. The UK has it’s own version of US Constitution, but even the excellent lawyers and statesmen could not prevent lawyers from diddling with Common Law, the basis of the Constitution. They fixed it with Admiralty Law to do an end-run around Common Law. There is always those who want to force their own kind of outcome,

45. ___________________

‘If memory serves, Craig turned down a VO (Victorian Order – it may have been an MVO – given to diplomats en poste for helping to arrange a Royal visit) not because of his commitment to Scottish independence but because he is a republican.’

Whereas you bowed or knelt before the ‘Queen’ for your CMG. How many arses had to be licked to get that bauble? Do you dress up in the rig at home? Do let us see a pic. We need a laugh.

46. Resident Dissident

31 Aug, 2014 - 3:45 pm

RoS

Does it slightly worry you that post any independence Scotland would in effect be left with only two tiers of Government and (I think) no second chamber, with the lower tier almost entirely beholden to the first tier for its funding. Not many checks and balances there especially given that it would be difficult to claim that the SNP has been much of a force for decentralisation while in power?

47. Self-determination got you

31 Aug, 2014 - 3:46 pm

Aww, how cute, innumerate chav trying to be supercilious! At least you learned to parrot the word ‘dis-tri-BU-tion’ since your last linkless lie. Good Boy! Inbred City of London pedo serfs never really learn probability, do they. It’s a feudal atavism, after all, and not a meritocracy.

You lack motivation. All right then. Explain the distinction between Bayesian and probabilist approaches and how it relates to trend assessment, and I’ll give you peek into the toilets at Charterhouse.

48. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 3:49 pm

I see the old Zionist devil Henry Kissinger has a new book, coming out on the 9th of September, called “World Order.”

49. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 3:57 pm

There is no predictor, except human nature.
    ——————————
    Ben I see your point.

Independence is about controlling Scotland’s finances, and spending them as we best see fit in Scotland for Scots. Of course there will be some corruption every government has some, but Westminster is unfortunately corrupt to the core.

What kind of chicken you ask, well I feel Scotland is a country left of centre regarding politics, UK Labour once held that position, but now they’re as far right as the Tories, when it comes to policy making.

50. ” So yes Craig can prove the numbers of dead, and be pretty accurate about it all, all he needs is to find the tonnage of bombs, and the estimated kill ratio ”

Utter rubbish. This was the method used in the late 1930’s to predict civilian casualties during The Blitz and which proved to hopelessly wrong. The RAF and USAAF dropped 3,900 tons of bombs on Dresden killing between 23,000 and 25,000 on the other hand Operation Linebacker II in 1972 saw 20,000 tons of high explosive dropped on Hanoi for around 1,600 deaths.

The only sure way is to count the dead and missing.

51. Opinion polls and bookmakers (I’m not certain legalising these in Scotland in the early-60s was a good thing). Wow they’re authoritative indeed. Tell me Resident Dissident, if I may call you that, how come you have such a finger on the pulse, or is it a hand in the purse of all matters Scottish? I thought you were our Lvov correspondent, au fait with all things Banderist, coming after a stint as Zionist mouthpiece in residence, alternating with habbaduk, can I ask, is their any area of the world, any field of science, of economics, etc. in which you are not Resident Expert, I’m sure it would be a shorter list than those in which you are?

52. “What kind of chicken you ask, well I feel Scotland is a country left of centre regarding politics”

Yeah, I thought Obama was left-of-center, but governance brings the pale horse of compromise. Many feel that is a noble objective; doing good versus doing the perfect. I’ve found it disappointing, RoS.

53. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 4:07 pm

RoS

——————–
    Resdis

It has been difficult for the Scottish Government over the past few years due to Labour/Tory/Lib/Dem held councils who just don’t want to play ball, some like Tammany Hall aka Glasgow City council, have actively been trying to hinder the Scottish government at every turn.

I don’t quite understand what you mean by “Upper and Lower” chambers Scotland has no upper house, there’s no need for it.

Its parties, consist of SNP/Labour/Greens/Lib/Dems/Tories, these are the main parties at Holyrood

54. Sounds like the NHS woman made a good argument for independence. Whether or not the Yes campaign wins, her arguments will need stronger support South of the border as well.

55. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 4:13 pm

———–
    Ben

I deeply sympathise with you, I have been watching from afar and Obama hasn’t lived up to expectations especially his (PPACA) or Obamacare as its better known, not to mention the upsurge in Obamavilles all over the USA. They remind me of the old hoovervilles.

56. “I deeply sympathise with you”

RoS

If Scotland’s population is left-of-center and follows the behavior rather than the words of elected reps, good on ’em. The US is more conservative as a body and too busy working or lazy to give a fig. I hope that difference makes a difference for Scotland.

57. Resident Dissident

31 Aug, 2014 - 4:26 pm

RoS

So there is no need for upper and lower houses or hindrance from local authorities in your eyes – so a single all powerful authority is what you would look forward to in an independent Scotland. Whatever happened to the checks and balances of good governance.

While I doubt Salmond and Co would be quite so blatant in their objectives, we must thank you for a glimpse of the Nats true colours.

58. I think a de-centralized, village-like approach to government would work, and it certainly fits the culture of Scotland.

Having a power-central, makes the government too powerful and corrupt. It also makes it difficult for the back-stage players to get a foothold with bribes and patrimony.

59. “Firstly Scotland will be rid of one layer of needless government namely Westminster”

But it will have to replace it pretty sharpish with its own Scottish equivalent. As needless Westminster agencies like the IRS, Passport Office, DWP etc withdraw and put up the For Sale notices, Scotland will have to replace them. It will need to open embassies in many of the world’s most expensive cities. It will need to recruit and equip its own military services.

In the first few years therefore Scotland will be faced with rather high start up costs. In terms of unintended consequences, this is where the fundamental error of trying to cling on to the UK pound will really bite. Scotland will need to borrow money to see it through the early years. The banks may not be excessively indulgent when it comes to negotiating interest rates. You might be better off going to wonga.com. Before you know it, Scotland will be up to its ears in debt and about as independent as a glove puppet.

60. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 4:47 pm

===========================

Its said that the UK’s tax system is the most complicated in the world, Scotland will have an 18 month window to set up any admin
    dept required many such as the pensions dept already exist in Scotland in Dundee and Motherwell.

as for passports its envisaged everyone living in Scotland will keep their existing passport and when it expires a new Scottish passport will be issued, we have in Scotland a passport issuing office in Glasgow already set up.

As for embassies we could share the UK’s depending on how negotiations go,and EU embassies I think are open to any EU member for assistance, yes we’ll need to set up a DWPbut some of the personnel and infrastructure are already in place in Scotland.

If you want to read comprehensive version of Scotland’s future under independence,google the whitepaper “Scotlands Future” it has many many answers you seek.

Finally I think you mentioned a Scottish defence force, well Scotland currently contributes £3 billion pound a years to UK defences in return we receive just one third of that back, that surplus will be used to build a tailored defence force for Scottish needs.

61. Utter rubbish. This was the method used in the late 1930′s to predict civilian casualties during The Blitz and which proved to hopelessly wrong.

Clearly your “well thought out” and “reasoned” rebuttal ought to be reliant on more than a feeling in your water. “Utter Rubbish” is based on what hypothesis?

Further, you stringing an array of the USUK bombings for which the USUK reported figures of the deaths resulting from their bombings, is used. To count the dead or missing, who will be the comptroller? A US state department observer?

Mathematics does not do prevarication, facts arrived at are only refuted by other equally pertinent facts.

To parrot the “gubimnet” line on this blog about the mass murder enterprises in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Gaza, West Bank, …. there is a need for more than the tally of the dead; the US state department observer has to sign off the tally, evidently.

Iraq’s population before the war was at 22 million, Iraq’s population today is 17 million. In the light of the probable population growth during the last seven years, the depletion of the Iraqi population (ie the dead) ought to have been of a higher magnitude, which can result in estimation of a combined six million Iraqi dead as result of the war on Iraq. however as you would know the official figures are estimated at 120,000 that is only a fraction of the six million or 2 percent of the dead that evidently the man form state department agrees with.

62. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

31 Aug, 2014 - 4:50 pm

Self determination up your Urethra

(or whatever your usual handle is – couldn’t be bothered to find it, sorry):

“Your only hope is stuffing ballot boxes, to which you will doubtless resort.”
    ______________________

From the Yessers Handly Little Book of Alibis* : Alibi N° 12.

_____________________

* To be opened only in the event of a No vote.

63. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 4:53 pm

=========================
    Ben

I agree there are thing local councils can do if they have the powers to do so.

64. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

31 Aug, 2014 - 4:55 pm

Republicofscotland

“Voltaire, once said, of Scotland.

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.””
    _________________

I don’t doubt your word for a moment, but Voltaire – like all writers of his age – was not above a judicious bit of flattery aka creeping from time to time. After all, he had some rather good things to say about Frederick the Great as well.

PS- if you don’t believe me, please seek counsel of the Celtic Poetaster, sadly now longer with us (? :- ), Sofia Kibo-No

65. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

31 Aug, 2014 - 4:58 pm

Ben

“Thanks RoS,; I understand the dream of independence. I just don’t understand how the New Boss will be different from the Old.

There is no predictor, except human nature.”
    _________________

Happy to say “good post” and that I agree with you.

66. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 4:59 pm

————————–
    ResDis

67. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

31 Aug, 2014 - 5:01 pm

Mary

“Whereas you bowed or knelt before the ‘Queen’ for your CMG.”
    _________________

Bit puzzled about why you put inverted commas round The Queen.

68. I agree there are thing local councils can do if they have the powers to do so.

Those corrupt, inbred busy bodies would be lining busy bodies would be lining their own pockets at much cheaper rates than the central power structure, the only way forward is the citizen based structures. The internet is for more than just buying and selling and or getting stalked by trolls.

the vote app can be easily deployed to vote motions up or down and debate about about the motions can be a pretty lively among the citizens who can set up their own panel of experts a lot more quicker.

69. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 5:10 pm

Republicofscotland

“Voltaire, once said, of Scotland.

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.””
    _________________

—————————

Habb

“Of all the small nations on this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks, surpass the Scots in contributions to mankind.”

Winston Churchill.

Don’t worry I’ll add the slight for you save posting another pathetic comment.

——————–
    “I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas. We have definitely adopted the position at the Peace Conference of arguing in favour of the retention of gas as a permanent method of warfare. It is sheer affectation to lacerate a man with the poisonous fragment of a bursting shell and to boggle at making his eyes water by means of lachrymatory gas. I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes. The moral effect should be so good that the loss of life should be reduced to a minimum. It is not necessary to use only the most deadly gasses: gasses can be used which cause great inconvenience and would spread a lively terror and yet would leave no serious permanent effects on most of those affected.”

Winston Churchill,on his use of chemical warfare, Mesopotamia circa 1920.

70. “…for the third time, I was the only male on the panel yesterday.”

How fashionable. Who needs democracy, when you can rely on women’s ‘vote’.

71. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 5:17 pm

I agree there are thing local councils can do if they have the powers to do so.

—————————-

Passerby

72. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 5:30 pm

Saudi Arabia Remains on U.N. Human Rights Council despite 19 Beheadings, including One for “Sorcery
    ————————————-
    Ask any human rights organization where they stand on chopping off people’s heads and they’ll probably say such actions constitute a violation of human rights.
    —————————-

And yet, one nation that does a lot of beheadings is on the United Nations’ Human Rights Council. Lately, in fact, Saudi Arabia can’t seem to get enough beheadings. Its government has executed at least 19 people using this method since August 4, according to Human Rights Watch (HRW).
    —————————-

Of the 19, eight were found guilty of non-violent offences seven for drug smuggling and one for committing sorcery.
    The Saudi government executed more than 2,000 people between 1985 and 2013, about half of them foreign nationals. By comparison, the state of Texas executed 504 prisoners, none via beheading, over the same period.
    ———————————–

73. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 5:40 pm

The US has vetoed 42 Security Council resolutions, usually related to Israeli violations of human rights and international law, often violations of the 1949 Geneva Conventions on the treatment of people living under occupation. In addition to these veto’s, the US has also threatened casting veto’s of a number of resolutions if they were raised, thus stopping the projected resolution dead in its tracks. These vetoes allow Israel to act with impunity in its violations of international humanitarian laws. Therefore Israel sees no reason to change its behavior.
    ————————–

74. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

31 Aug, 2014 - 5:42 pm

“Here’s a new concept for you Habb, instead of deriding everyone else’s comments why don’t post a constructive one of your own.”
    ____________________

Thanks for the tip, Republicofscotland.

Do tell me though : of the many lines in your comment, how many are cut-and-paste and how many are your own?

75. That’s an interesting idea to give power to the common man, it would be easier to apply in a smaller nation such as Iceland.

The size of the nation is immaterial, the structures can be set in place and safeguarded for citizens to engage in the management of their own lives and their own land.

The Achilles heel of any construct lies in its centralisation, the success of the oligarchs in procuring the help of plutocrats to run the joint to their advantage, and transform the country into a rigged casino with loaded dice, is an ever so palpable reality, that is the result of the centralisation of power structures.

The many cannot be corrupted by the few, and thus a wholly decentralised power structure is less likely to be as readily corruptible as the current arrangements are.

Further, given the responsibility of the lives of citizens lying on the shoulders of the citizens, will result in less laws and treaties, as the concurrent rise in threshold of morality and bounds of acceptability will render the silly laws moot. This will further enhance the experience of the interacting citizens with their own system of governance, that will prompt their further involvement a self breeding reactor if you will.

Also the economic prosperity brought on by an informed and vibrant society will reduce the rates of crime and the need for prolific enforcement and intelligence apparatus will result in a much reduced structures, and the overheads thereof.

Fact is the ordinary man/woman is far more decent and honourable than any of the current batch of carpetbaggers and opportunists sold and masqueraded as our dear leaders.

This however is a nightmare scenario for the oligarchs and they will spend all their efforts in thwarting any such evolution.

76. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

31 Aug, 2014 - 5:44 pm

RoS

“So who is really running the UN? I think its the axis of evil USA, UK, and the illegal military state of Israel.”

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

“Damning evidence that the US is in league with Israel,and that Zionist Jews control the US government.”

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

77. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for Zionist I guess Habbz

78. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

31 Aug, 2014 - 5:48 pm

Republicofscotland

That reference of mine to the late lamented Celtic Poetaster Sofia Kibo Noh really seems to have got you going, didn’t it.

And withing the quarter of an hour as well!

Nice.

79. Habbabkuk (La vita è bella) !

31 Aug, 2014 - 5:51 pm

Ah, DoNNyDarkSide – the Viennese ball-meister – has woken up and regaled us with a constructive comment à la Republicofscotland.

Welcome Back, Side!

80. Resident Dissident

31 Aug, 2014 - 6:04 pm

“Of course local authorites will have more powers in an independent Scotland, Shetland and Orkney have already been promised them if independence is gained, but you must take one step at a time first we’ll need to get the negotiations over with and see how we stand.”

Is this something else in addition to NATO, Monarchy and Immigration policy where the idea is to give the SNP a blank cheque for them to fill in after the referendum should they win?

81. Ha! A disingenuous reply.

“Whereas you bowed or knelt before the ‘Queen’ for your CMG.”
    Bit puzled about why you put inverted commas round The Queen.
    She IS The Queen, surely? At least, I know of no other in the UK, nor, as far as I’m aware, is there a Pretender somewhere.’

Didn’t deny getting the CMG did be?

82. Crawford’s defence of the Israeli apartheid policies.

83. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 6:21 pm

—————–
    ResDis

Blank cheque from whom? As for NATO I like many others do not wish to join it, but independence is the main thing just now we’ll deal with NATO later.
    ——————-
    Again many Scots don’t want a monarch they want a republic, its been touted that after sponging old Lizzie snuffs it a vote will be taken as to whether we want another unaccountable, unelected unanswerable poncing inbred blue blood as a head of state.

84. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 6:30 pm

THE LAVON AFFAIR
    —————-
    In 1954, Israeli agents working in Egypt planted bombs in several buildings, including a United States diplomatic facility, and left evidence behind implicating Egyptian Muslims as the culprits. The ruse would have worked, had not one of the bombs detonated prematurely, allowing the Egyptians to capture and identify one of the bombers, which in turn led to the round up of an Israeli spy ring.
    ———————
    Some of the spies were from Israel, while others were recruited from the local Jewish population. Israel responded to the scandal with claims in the media that there was no spy ring, that it was all a hoax perpetrated by “anti-Semites”.
    ———————
    Evil personified.

85. Resident Dissident

31 Aug, 2014 - 6:33 pm

“AS for immigration you just have to look at the complete and utter shambolic mess, Westminster has made in that department, I’m pretty sure Holyrood couldn’t make such a pigs ear of it, as Westminster has.”

As I pointed out earlier today the Scottish Govt is proposing to share the same policy should they win the referendum – just as it is proposing to stay in NATO and keep the Monarchy. Much as I want to see a British republic I am at least honest about my intentions. Doesn’t it worry you that there would be something of democratic deficit in the governing party were they to win the refendum?

I could also ask where has been the debate about why the current bicameral parliament in the UK (flawed though it is) should be replaced by a unicameral parliament in Scotland – even though most western democracies have bicameral systems.

The manner in which the referendum has been conducted should raise some very grave concerns about the democratic governance should independence occur. This would of course be a matter for the Scots – but the concerns are real and do exist.

86. Iceland. Dramatic footage.

Iceland Volcano Alert Amid Fresh Eruption

Authorities raise the aviation warning code to red and close the airspace in an area near the subglacial Bardarbunga volcano.

87. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 6:48 pm

——————–

DisRes
    ——–

What do you mean by your above comment?

Share what policy? immigration if that’s what you mean will be different in Scotland as it is in the rUK

Scotland doesn’t need an upper house, why would it.

88. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 6:52 pm

Iceland. Dramatic footage.

Iceland Volcano Alert Amid Fresh Eruption
    ————-
    Thanks for that link Mary, scary stuff indeed.

89. Does anyone remember that youtube of the huge fireball at Homs?

Did it look like a tactical nuke to you?

It looked like this…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKXuQ8lOe8

But this was pretty big (15 kiloton)

They are as small as one.

One-kiloton. Identical fireball rapidly changing to black mushroom to 1100 feet.

Here’s the Homs video.

And just who in the ME has tac/nukes?

90. The “No Thanks” video proves two things.

1. Westminsiter is relying on fear and not sincere argument to advance the “No” case, and

2. It doesn’t matter if you’re nice looking, having a Scottish accent makes you are NOT sexy!

91. Judging by some of the comments here it seems British nationalists are starting to really panic. We can expect a fortnight of dirty tricks from them, and it won’t just be another BT video showing the patronizing attitude of Westminster spin doctors towards the people of Scotland. It’s all too late for the union. As exemplified by the many Yes meetings held throughout the country the people of Scotland are about to make political history. Keep up the good work, Craig.

92. Republicofscotland

31 Aug, 2014 - 7:20 pm

Notable for its absence in the corporate media is any mention of the July 17 downing of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 over Ukrainian territory, killing all 298 people on board.

At that time, and without any evidence, all U.S. and NATO officials immediately blamed Russia and the Ukrainian rebels in eastern Ukraine for shooting down the Boeing 777. They used this charge to whip the European Union into imposing sanctions on the Russian economy.

On Aug. 11, the Dutch Safety Board announced that a preliminary report would be published in a week with the first factual finding of the ongoing investigation into the flight that departed from Amsterdam and crashed in Ukraine. The Netherlands was given custody of the flight data recorder, or black box recordings, from the crash.
    —————————

As of Aug. 25, the Dutch government has refused to release the recordings. (RIA Novosti, Aug. 25) This, of course, immediately raises suspicions that the Kiev junta forces were responsible for the crash.
    ————————–
    Why was the Malaysian flight, diverted hundreds of miles by Kiev ground control over the battle zone, and why Kiev air traffic control data and radar data of the flight have still not been made ­public.
    ————————-

Did the Ukrainian military shoot down the passenger plane simply to create a provocation that could be turned against the rebels in east Ukraine and Russia?
    ————————-

Demands for an independent inquiry into the crash are growing. One petition raises the danger of the U.S. expansion of NATO and military encirclement of Russia and posed the possibility that Flight MH17’s crash resulted from an attempt to assassinate Russian President Vladimir Putin, whose aircraft was returning from South America the same day.
    ————————
    There’s no doubt the axis of evil shot down flight MH17.

————————-

93. I was at the meeting in Cupar, my first active participation in anything organised in the campaign. The breadth of people there was notable, as was the lack of political party involvement. This appeared neither needed or wanted. The campaign is very much not owned by the SNP. I am optimistic that a yes vote will lead to a shake up generating new parties that will genuinely represent people and wash away the stagnant current crop of timeservers and lickspittles.

Craig made a very good observation at Cupar. He said that judging by the posters he saw, the fields were voting no, but the houses were voting yes. I have to concur as this matches my observation. Given the number of people actually occupying fields is rather low, they won’t represent very many votes. No support is fragile and falling.

The odds given by bookies at the moment must be driven by betting in the UK as a whole. Anyone on the ground in Scotland has to know the reality is different from the picture painted in the media. It would be interesting to see a geographical breakdown of betting trends. There could be money to be made!

94. Didn’t deny getting the CMG did be?

Mary is minor profit a Collector of Miniature Games too?

I cannot believe this specimen is to be any more than a gobshite and caviller?

This minor profit inflicted upon this blog is just one of those zionistan keyboard offence brigade, that evidently had targeted this blog for a while and had it all their way until the likes of me arrived and pissed on their parade.

Although some of these low life scum seem to be given inordinate latitudes regardless of their vile conduct.

95. Resident Dissident

31 Aug, 2014 - 8:02 pm

RoS

The policy of the Scottish Govt should they win the referendum is to stay in NATO, keep the monarchy, keep the current immigration policy of the UK and Eire, keep the currency – yet significant proportions of those supporting the Yes campaign are saying that they will change the policies post referendum (yourself included) and giving appropriate nudges and winks. Sounds pretty much like a false prospectus is being offered.

“Scotland doesn’t need an upper house, why would it.” To provide checks and balances to the lower house – particularly given the latter’s inclination to want to neuter the single tier of local government. Unicameral parliaments are pretty rare elsewhere in the democratic world for this very reason – that the matter has not been debated in Scotland adds to the democratic deficit.

96. Leading health expert Allyson Pollock says Yes vote only way to secure NHS in Scotland
    August 31, 2014, 8:07 pm

Pollock told the Sunday Herald: “Although people find this extraordinary and can’t believe it, the Health and Social Care Act of 2012 has abolished the NHS in England as a universal service. The NHS is reduced to a funding stream and a logo; increasingly all the services are going to be contracted in the marketplace.

Full article saved here:

97. Also from Medialens.
    Posted by Keith-264 on August 31, 2014, 8:05 pm

Scottish universities braced for brain drain if country votes for independence
    Senior education figures voice fears about loss of funding and departure of top scientists in the event of a yes vote

Severin Carrell, Scotland correspondent
    The Guardian, Sunday 31 August 2014 17.36 BST

Is there any chicanery this rag won’t stoop to?

98. I don’t think anyone can know whether the NHS is safe or not post-independence, as no one knows what the financial situation might be in an independent Scotland. Salmond and the woman at the rally are talking out of their hats.
    What we do know is that UK public sector jobs based in Scotland would go, and some larger businesses would be likely move to England, as well as that Scotland as a new country would face higher interest rates to borrow and would no longer receive UK grants. So, even with Scotland’s oil, the likelihood is there would be less money to spend, not more.

99. Very interesting article by Paul Mason saying much the same things I am saying.

100. I don’t think anyone can know whether the NHS is safe or not post-independence, as no one knows what the financial situation might be in an independent Scotland. Salmond and the woman at the rally are talking out of their hats.

It does not cost that much to protect the human rights of the Scots, with a fundamental right of being free from pain and illness. In fact once they stop paying for the extravagant wars of choice and weapons cash pile the Scots can afford a first rate NHS.

UK NHS is being bilked by the private sector operatives, who have a pretty captive NHS management to contract these regardless of their costs and performance. The dogma is to privatise means efficient. The reality is; privatise means redirection of the public funds into private coffers. So lets not kid ourselves, aye?

1 2 3 5