What is Conspiracy Theory?

Home Forums Discussion Forum What is Conspiracy Theory?

• This topic has 89 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by SA.
Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    SA

So Present And Correct is flushing out the ‘conspiracy deniers’ eh? Wouldn’t it be nice if those individuals do not hide behind VPNs and sock puppetry and have the confidence of their convictions tested by just conforming to the rules of discussion?

#69219 Reply
    Ken MacIntyre

Conspiracy theory: a term of abuse directed against a politically incorrect ordering of the facts. (Norman Finkelstein, The Holocaust Industry)

In other words, anything that challenges the dominant or received views of powetful groups.

#69220 Reply
    ET

“they are not capable of rational discussion”

I believe everyone is capable of ratonal discussion. It’s a conscious choice whether or not to engage with rational discussion. They are capable but just choose not to bother. Question is why?

#69235 Reply
    Clark

Ken MacIntyre, yes that’s one way that the term “conspiracy theory” is used; as a term of ridicule to evade discussion. But there’s another way too, and the first way couldn’t work effectively without it. This symbiotic relationship is what I’m trying to clarify.

Taking the example you cite, Finkelstein is right that the Holocaust is played upon to divert and vilify criticism of Israel. But such diversion and vilification is greatly strengthened by the genuine existence of Holocaust denial; indeed, it would look lame without it.

Holocaust denial is an example of conspiracy theory in my second sense above, in that it proposes that all the copious evidence for the Holocaust is merely fabrication by an immensely powerful conspiracy.

#69236 Reply
    Clark

“In other words, anything that challenges the dominant or received views of powerful groups.”

How would “Flat Earth”, “Chemtrails” or the “UN Depopulation Agenda 21” stuff fit into this? Do they seriously challenge anything important? Or do they serve as distractions from vital issues?

#69237 Reply
    Clark

Dredd, March 19, 14:33:

Foyle’s argument amounts to nothing more than: “Look, see how little kids look up to their parents and do whatever they’re told … that’s you, that is!”

It’s not even true of little kids. Kids constantly create fantasy and make-believe, and get away with whatever they can. I remember.

#69241 Reply
    Clark

Dredd – “If that’s the highest level of argument that covid critics can proffer, then I’d suggest they’re best ignored.”

If only! Unfortunately, this type of thinking is incredibly pervasive, and there’s a very broad spectrum, eg. hartgroup.org and its apparent front leftlockdownsceptics (which I discovered from this comment).

#69246 Reply
    PresentAndCorrect

This is a whistleblower’s site, yeah? And you have a problem with anonymity? Weird. And yes please do guess who. I can’t wait to find out who I am.

— snip —

[ Mod: Well, OK, if you insist. We know that you are the commenter formerly known as ‘Node’ – who was banned for sockpuppetry (as ‘Ankle Sum’) while under investigation for sockpuppetry (as ‘Wacamole’, ‘Duck’ and ‘Mushy’, among others) shortly after returning from a lengthy ban for sockpuppetry (as ‘Buster’). The evidence has been shared with the rest of the blog team.

Persistent trolls often engage in sockpuppetry via anonymous proxies following a ban. Accordingly, from now on any contribution from a new identity posting via an anonymous server is eligible for suspension or deletion without further explanation. ]

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by modbot.
    #69260 Reply
    Clark

Hey mods, just like old times, eh? Tungsten, Steelback, Juniper, Freeborn…

[ Mod: Ah yes, such bittersweet memories of the puppet show known as the “clown car” …

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be. ]

#69273 Reply
    SA

Node
    You are still anonymous as Node to us and the website owner states in their terms that VPNs and sockpuppetry are not permitted. This is a private blog site not a public utility, and I wonder whether you feel that propaganda comes in under the same umbrella as whistleblowing.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
Reply To: Reply #53398 in What is Conspiracy Theory?
Your information: