Petition to introduce mandatory alcohol/drug testing for MPs.

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Petition to introduce mandatory alcohol/drug testing for MPs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Fat Jon

Following Kwasi Kwarteng’s disgraceful behaviour at The Queen’s funeral https://youtu.be/L-W2hmOLH0g I believe it is time for a clampdown on drug and alcohol use by serving MPs while on official business or during public occasions.

There is a petition for this at https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/619602/signatures/new and I urge you all to encourage as many people as possible to sign it.

Any other workers (both public and private sector) would be dismissed for taking drugs or drinking alcohol while at work. I don’t see why MPs should be exempt.

#88823 Reply
    ET

Perhaps an influx of chilled out stoned MPs would actually be an improvement!
    Prime Minister’s question time would be a hoot.

#88838 Reply
    Fat Jon

Really?

#88840 Reply
    ET

I was being mildly facetious John. I do however think it’s a ridiculous petition and will waste some poor civil servant’s time and energy having to process it. Surely there are more important things to be worrying about?

#88842 Reply
    Dawg

Craig suggested on Twitter that Kwarteng wasn’t necessarily being disrespectful but may have been expressing Ghanaian funeral culture, in which funerals are a joyous and happy occasion. However, given that Kwarteng was born and brought up in this country, attending Eton & Cambridge, and that Ashanti funeral culture wasn’t mentioned in Ghanaian news reports about the furore, it doesn’t seem a plausible defence.

However, Craig did note this about Boris Johnson’s erratic behaviour at the 2019 Remembrance Day parade:

“People like Boris Johnson do not see janitors, cleaners, cooks, drivers and waiting staff as anything but cyphers. They however see him, and I can tell you with certainty that the reason he messed up the Cenotaph ceremony, starting backwards and forward at the wrong time, laying the wreath upside down and generally stumbling around looking like an unmade bed, is that he was drunk. You could smell it off him. He arrived in that condition.”

#88852 Reply
    Fat Jon

I don’t see it as a waste of time. I see it as a veiled threat indicating the public are going to be watching MPs closely, and will not approve of any misbehaviour.

The politicians may try to ignore everything, but at least this fires a warning shot across their bows.

Yes, I am naive; but occasionally naivety can flush out the arrogance in people.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Petition to introduce mandatory alcohol/drug testing for MPs.
Your information: